The Complete Sherlock Holmes [Leatherbound]…

The Complete Sherlock Holmes [Leatherbound] (original 1930; edition 2009)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

6,19848655 (4.43)1 / 120
Member:Navaron
Title:The Complete Sherlock Holmes [Leatherbound]
Authors:Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:Barnes & Noble (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 1096 pages
Tags:fantasy, mystery, compilation

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (1930)

I just spent the last three weeks reading the complete works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle relating to his famous character, Sherlock Holmes. Three. Weeks. It occurred to me that non-readers or not-very-fast readers may feel as I did when they read a regular novel… am I ever going to be finished with this book? But it was definitely worth the three weeks of my time to have read the 4 novels and 56 short stories contained within. In fact, it made me kind of sad to finish the last story… to know that there is no more of the original tales of Sherlock and Dr. Watson out there for me to read.

It was so refreshing to be back in my element of classic literature, not worrying about coming across f-bombs and other forms of vulgarity in the pages. The writing is witty and smart, the characters fascinating, and the stories engaging. They make you think. Toward the end of the 56 short stories, I must admit that the beginnings of the stories all seemed the same, but I suppose that must be forgiven, since some of them at least were originally released as part of a regular magazine publication, and were in need of supplying a slight background for the new reader. Overall, I would characterize the stories as creatively brilliant.

I must admit, I love all things Sherlock Holmes, and it’s surprising to me that I hadn’t read more of the original stories before now. I think I remember reading a short story or two in middle school, but other than that, I had read none of these original works. My husband and I enjoy watching deductive reasoning shows. We watched and enjoyed both recent Sherlock Holmes movies starring Robert Downey Jr. We loved the first two seasons of the BBC series “Sherlock” and are anxiously awaiting the third series. I must admit, as I was reading the book, the actors from this series were who I pictured most, even though we’ve also began watching the newest spin on the Sherlock stories, the CBS series “Elementary” (Also good – I love Watson as a woman).

As usual, however, the old standby of the book being better than the movie still applies. Nothing engages the mind quite like a book, and this one (or ones, as it’s a compilation) is definitely mind-engaging and well worth the read. 5 of 5 stars. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |
Sherlock Holmes started out as Doyle's steady-money potboilers, a series of stories ground out in exchange for a paycheck. But they caught the public imagination, and Holmes' fame grew until he became the best-known fictional detective out there. Countless remakes, pastiches, parodies, and retellings later, Holmes has finally made it into a rather unique position: he is currently featured as an action hero in several TV shows and quite a few movies, and yet on the polar opposite of the snobbery spectrum, he is Literature--I even took a college course where he was included on the syllabus. With all of the revamps and remakes and recharacterizations, it's easy to forget about the original character. With all of the analysis and study of symbolism and historiography, it's easy to forget what Sherlock Holmes is really all about: a set of rattling good yarns.

Whatever your literary polarity, Sherlock Holmes is a worthwhile read. The stories themselves are fun and the writing style is surprisingly contemporary for the time period: lots of snappy and often hilarious dialogue, a humorous first person narrator, and quite a lot of action. I haven't seen--and have no intention of seeing--the various remakes of Holmes, but I'm not convinced they captured the characters. Watson also always seems to lose out in the remakes--in the books, he is a bit stolid, but certainly not a buffoon. Holmes's complex and quirky personality is perhaps one of the reasons that his stories captured the public imagination. He is not a lovelorn superhero; rather, he is a somewhat sociopathic, drug-addicted, lonely misanthrope. At the same time, he is very different from the cold and uptight Brett from the old movies--he has a completely wacky sense of humour, an obsession with disguise, and a tendency to jump into action, his trusty revolver at the ready. His personality is rather static--possibly one reason why Doyle tried so hard to make that drop off Reichenbach Falls fatal. I believe that he is the prototype for a massive collection of later detectives from Alleyn to Poirot to Qwilleran in which the detective acts as the single fixed frame for an everchanging cast of characters.

Plotwise, the stories may not be brilliant, but they are a lot of fun. They also precede the times when detective stories necessarily required a murder--almost all of the stories function without dead-body-driven action. Holmes' adventures range from a mysteriously disappearing league apparently set up to benefit redheads to a treasure hunt for a hidden chamber to a run-in with the KKK to frolics with supernaturally glowing hounds.

If you're reading for fun, I suggest The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, a set of some of the earlier short stories. Holmes' adventures technically begin with the novel, A Study in Scarlet, but I think Holmes functions better in his short stories--more wackiness and variety. Adventures also contains the famous run-in with Irene Adler. If you're searching for Moriarty--who, by the way, is only even mentioned in a handful of stories--then he's in Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, which also contains the story "Silver Blaze," where Holmes utters his famous line about the curious incident of the dog in the night-time. (But the dog did nothing in the night-time! Yes, that was the curious incident.) If you're reading for historical analysis, take a look at The Valley of Fear, which is nominally a Holmes story, but is really about violent secret societies in the US--interesting from a historiographical perspective.

So if you are interested in the history of mystery, or you're a fan of one of the various Sherlock enterprises, from the new show to House, take a look at the original. You'll enjoy it. ( )
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |
No, I didn't read all of them, I just couldn't find a more appropriate version. I read a bunch of 'em. I read them when I was a kid, too, so it was kindof a nostalgia trip. I like this stuff. Man, Holmes was really a dick.

Note to prospective readers: this list of the 12 best Holmes stories pretty much nails it, as far as I've ever been concerned. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Have this in 2 vols, Doubleday, 197? -- Vol. 1 p. 1-480, vol 2 p. 481-1122 ( )
  Georges_T._Dodds | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is not quite the same version - I got the 1.99 version on my Nook.

Just started this. The first story introduces us to Watson, who is trying to find suitable apartments to rent. A friend of his mentions a rather odd if pleasant gentleman who is looking for a roommate for an apartment he just found...

Great so far! Love that Holmes disses other literary detectives.

12-24 Still loving this. More than halfway done with the 1,700 some pages. I'll really miss it when I'm done.

I have not quite gotten through the last of these... but I'm marking it as "read" because I've simply gone through way more than half of these numerous stories. Definitely fodder for a re-read sometime. ( )
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |

Contains

A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Scandal in Bohemia by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Red-Headed League [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

A Case of Identity [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Boscombe Valley Mystery (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #4) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Case of the Five Orange Pips by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Man With the Twisted Lip [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Blue Carbuncle by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Sherlock Holmes: the Speckled Band (Audio) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Copper Beeches by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Silver Blaze by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Yellow Face by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Sherlock Holmes - The Stock-Broker's Clerk by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Gloria Scott by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Sherlock Holmes - The Musgrave Ritual by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Reigate Puzzle by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Cardboard Box by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Crooked Man by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Resident Patient by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Greek Interpreter by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Naval Treaty by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Final Problem by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventure of the Abbey Grange by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Empty House by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Norwood Builder by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Dancing Men by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Priory School by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of Black Peter by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Six Napoleons by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Three Students by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Second Stain by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Kauhun laakso : 1. Murhenäytelmä Birlsstonen kartanossa by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

His Last Bow by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Red Circle by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Devil's Foot by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

His Last Bow [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Dying Detective by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Problem of Thor Bridge by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Creeping Man by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Three Garridebs by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Illustrious Client [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Three Gables by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Sherlock Holmes and the Blanched Soldier by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Lion's Mane by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Retired Colourman by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Volume One) by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume 2 by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
"Complete" editions contain 4 Novels and 56 Short Stories in one or more volumes.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes,
The Return of Sherlock Holmes,
His Last Bow,
A Study on Scarlet,
The Sign of the Four.

NOTE: This edition has a linked "Table of Contents" and has been beautifully formatted (searchable and interlinked) to work on your Amazon e-book reader.

This edition contains all of the "Sherlock Holmes" stories (4 novels and 56 short stories) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The contents are:

Including the novels:

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
His Last Bow
The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553328255, Mass Market Paperback)

Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 1; Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 2. 2 Vols.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:55 -0400)

Presents the four novels and fifty-six short stories which comprise the entire Sherlock Holmes saga.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141034351, 0141040289, 0143068601

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible