The Dark Half by Stephen King

The Dark Half (original 1989; edition 1989)

by Stephen King (Author)

Thad Beaumont, a writer of brutally violent novels, becomes a murder suspect when his pseudonym is linked to the killings.
Member:sarah4uk
Title:The Dark Half
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Viking (1989), Edition: 1st, 431 pages
Collections:calibre

The Dark Half by Stephen King (1989)

Dead City by Shane Stevens (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In his afterward to The Dark Half, King explains that he took the character of Alexis Machine from Stevens' Dead City
    The Outsider by Stephen King (ghr4)
    A Soul to Steal by Rob Blackwell (Othemts)
    The Crime Writer by Gregg Hurwitz (VictoriaPL)
    VictoriaPL: Another writer who has trouble figuring out if he's involved in a series of murders or not.

English (57)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (61)
Well I haven't read "The Dark Half" since I was a teen. I realize now why that was, probably because teen me was bored reading parts of this as adult me was now. I do think that parts of the book are fairly good (I loved the sparrows and the growing realization of who George Stark was) but think that the book gets bogged down a ton with way too much talking that goes nowhere and an ending that kind of fizzles. You end up having to read the other Castle Rock books in order to find out what happens to the characters mentioned in this one which is okay, but does make it that "The Dark Half" is not a true standalone book.

"The Dark Half" was written in response to when Stephen King was outed as writing as Richard Bachman. I have to say that "The Dark Half" really does read like a Bachman book (go read "The Long Walk," "The Running Man," and "The Regulators"). Most of those works seemed to have violence for violence sake. Not my favorite of King's works, but still interesting. "The Dark Half" is mostly brutal with parts broken up by characters talking to each other about things we as readers are already privy to. So most of the book you are just waiting for everyone to figure out things and for the ending to come.

"The Dark Half" is about author Thad Beaumont who has recently come out and admitted that he has written under the name of George Stark for years. Thad and his wife decide to declare George Stark dead after a man tries to shake them down for money to keep their secret hidden that he really is George Stark. Thad has started to find some success writing under his own pen name and thinks now is a good time to lay Stark to rest. Unfortunately, someone takes significant pains to go out and murder anyone connected with the "death of George Stark." When all signs point to Thad or someone close to him being responsible for these deaths, Thad starts wondering if someone is delusional enough to think that they are really George Stark.

The character of Thad intrigued me in this one. I do feel bad about what ends up happening to him (see "Needful Things" and "Insomnia"). Thad has a good life and when you realize his connection to "George Stark" I ended up being moved to mostly pity for the guy.

The other characters in this one come in and out and don't really sing to me. We have Thad's wife Liz that felt like an afterthought after the first couple of hundred pages. I wished for more from that character.

Sheriff Alan Pangborn I honestly didn't care for in this one. I liked him much better in "Needful Things" he is also referenced down the line in "Bag of Bones." I think the issue for me is that the sheriff blames Thad for what has occurred, but I didn't and thought it was weird how the book ended.

We also get a plethora (not really but it felt like it) of characters who ended up being murdered by George Stark and reading all of their bad ends was gruesome after a while.

The writing was okay, but as I said, there was way too much talking going on. I found myself really bored after we get to Part II: Stark Takes Charge. Also since I had this in paperback format, it was hard to read some of the writing that was included in this book that was in cursive and showing what Thad and Stark's writing looked like. I honestly wish I had a magnifying glass.

The setting of this book is pretty familiar to Constant Readers. We are back with Castle Rock, Maine the site of some insanity that has gone on in many a King book. I always wonder why people never move away from that place. The first book in the Castle Rock series would be "Cujo". After "The Dark Half" you can read "Needful Things" where you can follow up with Sheriff Alan Pangborn and hear about Thad Beaumont again.

The ending was a meh to me. I mean I liked how King dealt with the problem of George Stark. It sounded awesome and terrifying (I will never look at sparrows the same way again) but it just took way too long to get there. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a teenager. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
3.5 stars ( )
  ChantelleRaven | Jun 16, 2020 |
Having read quite a few Stephen King books I was surprised that this was the one that shocked me most right at the start. As a kid Thad Beaumont starts hearing sparrows in his head and suddenly suffers from a seizure. When he is taken to the hospital a neurosurgeon removes what seemed to be a tumor in Thad's brain. What it was, though, really gave me the creeps. As a fetus Thad must have consumed his twin while still in the womb and what the surgeon removed from Thad's head was exactly this: a mass of an underdeveloped fetus that was starting to grow inside Thad's head. Rarely have I read something that terrifying and disgusting at the same time. After the removal of the 'tumor' Thad seems to be able to live a normal life and starts a career as a writer. While the novel he published under his own name is not very successful he has written successful novels under his pen name George Stark. It is exactly this conflict between himself and his alter ego George Stark who are fighting for his writing skills as George Stark becomes alive soon after he was symbolically buried by Thad in a PR stunt.

I was intrigued by the idea of this novel but I found it was not the page-turner I am used to with Stephen King. The novel most certainly has its moments and overall I enjoyed reading it, but I found myself unable to connect to the mysterious George Stark character coming alive and wreaking havoc. I was constantly wondering whether in the end it was just one and the same person and Thad Beaumont did all the killing for Stark. As this could clearly not be the case I was a little bit bugged by this supernatural element that is the living and breathing yet decaying George Stark. All in all, 3.5 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | May 26, 2020 |
Really good read, one of King's most imaginative yarns. ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Cut him," Machine said, "Cut him while I stand here and watch. I want to see the blood flow. Don't make me tell you twice."

-- Machine's Way

by George Stark
This book is for Shirley Sonderegger, who helps me mind my business, and for her husband, Peter.
AUTHOR'S NOTE I'm indebted to the late Richard Bachman for his help and inspiration. This novel cound not have been written without him. S.K.
People's lives -- their real lives, as opposed to their simple physical existences -- begin at different times.

Thad Beaumont would like to say he is innocent. He'd like to say he has nothing to do with the series of monstrous murders that keep coming closer to his home. He'd like to say he has nothing to do with the twisted imagination that produced his bestselling novels. He'd like to say he has nothing to do with the voice on the phone uttering its obscene threats and demanding total surrender. But how can Thad disown the ultimate embodiment of evil that goes by the name he gave it - and signs its crimes with Thad's bloody fingerprints? (0-451-16731-7)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible