Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo

Bridge of Sighs (2007)

by Richard Russo

English (80)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (83)
I enjoyed the book. The cycling of themes. The characters, the families, the small town, the times. ( )
  Lissa28 | May 29, 2014 |
It wasn’t that I actively disliked this book. There just wasn’t much about it to sway me toward the “liked it” side of the line. It was more that…nothing changed. The characters grew up to be adult versions of their child and adolescent selves. The small town where they grew up stayed the same. Because three different characters were dipping in and out of history throughout the book, some events even got repeated. And not in a way that added much of anything to the event but just sort of rehashed the details I’d already gotten from someone else’s point of view. It all started to feel stagnant and tedious.

My full review is posted on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | Feb 28, 2014 |
Although I didn't like this as much as Empire Falls, Richard Russo did what he does so well: he painted a picture of a small crumbling town and the people who live there. I was glad to have read his autobiography just before reading this. It gave some insight to his portrayal of Thomaston. ( )
  JGoto | Jan 29, 2014 |
BORING!!! ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Bought at the airport on my way to Italy. Wish there had been a bit more about modern times and less about the narrator's memories. It made the book a slow read. However, it did help me realize some life changes I was experiencing at the ripe age of 50. ( )
  artwench | Nov 4, 2013 |
For Gary Fisketjon
First, the facts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375414959, Hardcover)

Amazon Significant Seven, November 2007: Richard Russo's first book since the Pulitzer Prize-winning Empire Falls, Bridge of Sighs is a typically stunning portrait of three small town families struggling--like the town itself--to strike a balance between obsessively embracing their own history or shunning it entirely, with devastating consequences along both paths. Bridge of Sighs is pure Russo: funny, heartbreaking, and ringing completely true. --Jon Foro

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:03 -0400)

"Louis Charles ("Lucy") Lynch has spent all his sixty years in upstate Thomaston, New York, married to the same woman, Sarah, for forty of them, their son now a grown man. Like his late, beloved father, Lucy is an optimist, though he's had plenty of reasons not to be - chief among them his mother, still indomitably alive. Yet it was her shrewdness, combined with that Lynch optimism, mat had propelled them years ago to the right side of the tracks and created an "empire" of convenience stores about to be passed on to the next generation." "Lucy and Sarah are also preparing for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy, where his oldest friend, a renowned painter, has exiled himself far from anything they'd known in childhood. In fact, the exact nature of their friendship is one of the many mysteries Lucy hopes to untangle in the "history" he's writing of his hometown and family. And with his story interspersed with that of Noonan, the native son who'd fled so long ago, the destinies building up around both of them (and Sarah, too) are relentless, constantly surprising, and utterly revealing."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,378,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible