Game of Kings, The by Dorothy Dunnett

Game of Kings, The (1961)

by Dorothy Dunnett

Member:callyperry
Title:Game of Kings, The
Authors:Dorothy Dunnett
Info:Arrow, Paperback, 640 pages

The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett (1961)

English (54)  German (1)  All languages (55)
Magnifique! Once I got inside the rhythm and intent of the tale I was riveted. Dunnett wanted to create the consummate romantic hero, as I understand it, and in Crawford of Lymond she has succeeded. With a masterfully twisty plot, she never lets up on wit or character development and can handle a swordfight as well as an excruciating courtroom scene. The [Lymond Chronicles] were written between 1961 and 1975 and they are not one whit dated. Most remarkably the women characters are unfailingly as varied, memorable, and fully involved as any of the men. If you like your history served up with swashbuckle and wit, and a dash of mystery, you will be enthralled. The narrator, Napier, took a little getting used to at first with his sometimes drawly accent and a habit of dropping downwards at the end of a sentence but around the same time I warmed utterly to the story, I began to think he was just the right choice. *****

If you do listen, what sounds like the name "McClue" is "Buccleuch". It's really a sort of hard M with aa hint of B in it. I never had a "ccleuch" before how to pronounce it! ( )
  sibyx | Apr 17, 2016 |
The start of the best historical fiction series EVER! ( )
  NinaBerry | Mar 3, 2016 |
This first book in Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles is a great read. It did, however, take me the first 100 pages to become accustomed to Dunnett's writing style, but once I did I was hooked. Dunnett has created a memorable group of characters (particularly the hero, Lymond) and situated them in an intriguing period of Scottish history; the reign of Mary, Queen of Scots. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
16th century Edinburgh, Scotland (1547). The Game of Kings sets the stage for the subsequent five additional volumes in the Lymond series. Master Francis Crawford of Lymond is the anti-hero with "elastic morals." He is smart, funny, sarcastic and knows how to steal, kill, and charm. I'm sure he's handsome, too. That is, if you like blondes. Dunnett refers to Lymond's golden or yellow head quite frequently. Crawford has a chip on his shoulder. His reputation is shot and everyone is after him, friend and foe alike. He's a scapegoat with a band of misfits (some not to be trusted) who traverse the countryside trying to clear his name. There are enough characters and subplots to make your head spin, but stick with Lymond! He'll cheer you up.
If you read Game of Kings make sure you pick up the Vintage publication. Dunnett wrote her own foreword and confesses that the text has been "freshened." Having not read other versions I have no idea what has been "freshened." ( )
1 vote SeriousGrace | Aug 18, 2015 |
I had this series of historical novels recommended to me after having just finished a nonfiction book on the period (G. J. Meyer's The Tudors), and while it is of course somewhat romanticized it is also clearly thoroughly researched. And sure enough, I found it not only interesting but also entertaining. But the main attraction is the protagonist, Francis Crawford of Lymond, who falls firmly in the tradition (and is an excellent example) of noble outlaw characters I love, from Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo or The Three Musketeers or to a lesser extent The Scarlet Pimpernel all the way through Francisco D'Anconia in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of Lymond at first. I listened to the book on audio over the course of three days, and after the first third I was intrigued but wary about what seemed rather questionable behavior on Lymond's part. After the middle third my worst fears seemed to have been confirmed. But during the final third everything came together into a satisfying resolution...though I still thought Lymond had more in common with his brother than he would probably like to admit, and they both could have saved themselves much grief if they were only willing to explain themselves to their friends and allies. Still, these flaws in some ways served to make their characters deeper and more interesting. So as frustrating as the story can get at times, stick with it and your patience will be rewarded.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1CBK3GGTPFYRR ( )
  AshRyan | Jan 3, 2015 |

Dorothy Dunnettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gillies, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Lymond is back."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679777431, Paperback)

Praised for her historical fiction by critics and devoted fans alike, author Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles took the romance world by storm some 30 years ago, firmly fixing Dunnett's reputation as a master of the historical romance. The Game of Kings, the first story in The Lymond Chronicles, sets the stage for what will be a sweeping saga filled with passion, courage, and the endless fight for freedom. The setting is 1547, in Edinborough, Scotland. Francis Crawford of Lymond returns to the country despite the charge of treason hanging over his head. Set on redeeming his reputation, He leads a company of outlaws against England as he fights for the country he loves so dearly. Dangerous, quick-witted, and utterly irresistible, Lymond is pure pleasure to watch as he traverses 16th-century Scotland in search of freedom. The Game of Kings is a must-have for the historical romance connoisseur.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:26 -0400)

Francis Crawford of Lymond, a notorious outlaw, returns to Scotland in 1547. He announces his arrival by setting fire to his estranged brother's castle. He then turns his attention to breaching Edinburgh's gates, which have been sealed to keep out British invaders.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,864,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible