A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by…

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (edition 2001)

by Dave Eggers

12,467202353 (3.66)None
A memoir of a college senior who, in the space of five weeks, loses both of his parents to cancer and inherits his eight-year-old brother. Here is an exhilarating debut that manages to be simultaneously hilarious and wildly inventive as well as a deeply hearfelt story of the love that holds a family together.… (more)
Member:CMahoney415
Title:A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Authors:Dave Eggers
Info:Vintage (2001), Paperback, 485 pages
Tags:male bonding, family, ego, care-taking, memoir, travel, coming of age, introspection, dry humor, humor

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

English (201)  Dutch (1)  All languages (202)
Eggers starts this running at a million miles an hour, but tries to sustain that pace for the whole book and I think that loses a lot of what makes the early parts special. It's a bit of a cut above the rest of the crowd, but not enough of a cut to really make a difference in the end. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
This is the kind of book that I have only grown to appreciate in recent years; if I had picked it up when first published ten years ago, I would not have gotten it at all. As it stands, I got a few laughs and "hmms" out of it. The narrator is self-deprecating and humorous, although at times the rambling can become tedious. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
are the reviews on the first couple pages fabricated?

wavered between 3 and 4 stars for me while reading and I hate that I can't help but think this way while reading, now. ( )
  stravinsky | Dec 28, 2020 |
The premise is soul-crushing, but the prose is exhausting. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
He rambles on and on, but somehow is effective and doesn't put you off. I guess with a young life jam-packed with heart wrenching stuff, combined with enough words to circumscribe it, you can come up with some pretty unique writing. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Please distinguish this Dave Egger's later reprint, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and Mistakes We Knew We Were Making (2001), from the orignal published Work, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (2000). As the Work titles suggest, the reprint includes an additional piece, "Mistakes We Knew We Were Making," that's not included in the original publication.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,592,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible