What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn

What Was Lost (2007)

by Catherine O'Flynn

1,200856,680 (3.69)134

English (82)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (86)
What a poignant story.

It starts in 1984 with a young girl, Kate, who has been orphaned and lives with her Grandmother. One of the last things her father had given her was book on being a Detective and she spends her time on 'stakeouts' observing and making notes. Her favourite place for this is a local shopping centre, Green Oaks, where she watches the entrance to a bank, convinced that someone will try to rob it and she'll be a hero for her painstaking surveillance & efforts to foil it. The 'voice' of the girl is beautifully observed and written, all the earnestness and innocence of a 10 year old and how she sees the world.

Then we leap forward to 2003 and it's obvious that something has happened to Kate: she's no longer the voice of the story. Instead, we follow events through the eyes of Lisa, a Duty Manager in a record store, and Kurt a Security Guard. Both work in the shopping centre that Kate used to 'patrol' and both have links back to her and her disappearance. Again, it's well observed and written, and the details of life working in a record store of that era are really quite funny. (Oh yes, and watch out for the 'mystery shopper' - so funny!)

The story develops, expanding on the lives of Kurt and Lisa and their families and all their links back to the Shopping Centre and Kate until we finally, piece by piece, find out what happened.

A sad little tale written in a heartwarming way. So pleased that Pauline/Verns sent this on to me, will definitely have to read more of Catherine O'Flynn's work in the future. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
This book never really grabbed my attention (maybe because I was trying to read it over Christmas) so I struggled to finish it. I found it to be quite bleak and depressing and the characters unremarkable. Ho hum! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Hard to classify this book - part mystery/detective story, part modern romance, part judgement on modern consumerist society.Excellent depiction of the frustration of working in retail, it gave me shudders of recognition! Contrasting of characters with innocent child-detective Kate and the oppressed retail worker Lisa. Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. ( )
  aine.fin | Oct 23, 2015 |
This is one of my favourite novels ( )
  Jude59 | Jul 26, 2015 |
Written for Peter and dedicated to the memory of Donal of Hillstreet and Ellen of Oylegate.
Crime was out there.

Precocious 10 year old sleuth goes missing. Intertwined characters take up an investigation of what happens 20 years later.

A tender and sharply observant debut novel about a missing young girl—winner of the Costa First Novel Award and long-listed for the Booker Prize, the Orange Prize, and The Guardian First Book Award

In the 1980s, Kate Meaney—“Top Secret” notebook and toy monkey in tow—is hard at work as a junior detective. Busy trailing “suspects” and carefully observing everything around her at the newly opened Green Oaks shopping mall, she forms an unlikely friendship with Adrian, the son of a local shopkeeper. But when this curious, independent-spirited young girl disappears, Adrian falls under suspicion and is hounded out of his home by the press.

Then, in 2003, Adrian’s sister Lisa—stuck in a dead-end relationship—is working as a manager at Your Music, a discount record store. Every day she tears her hair out at the outrageous behavior of her customers and colleagues. But along with a security guard, Kurt, she becomes entranced by the little girl glimpsed on the mall’s surveillance cameras. As their after-hours friendship intensifies, Lisa and Kurt investigate how these sightings might be connected to the unsettling history of Green Oaks itself. Written with warmth and wit, What Was Lost is a haunting debut from an incredible new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Twenty years after her brother is hounded from his home by rumors about his alleged role in a young girl's disappearance, Lisa and her security guard friend become increasingly curious about a child they glimpse on a mall's surveillance cameras.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible