What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn

What Was Lost (2007)

by Catherine O'Flynn

English (76)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (80)
a very strange book. a very strange, sad, little girl, her strange adult friend, a huge shopping mall, a strange selection of shoppers, and a strange little plot. a sad, strange book. ( )
  mahallett | Jul 26, 2014 |
What a dissappointing book this was! I dove into it with good expectations seeing that it was a Costa Award recipient and because the plot caught my eye; but boy! was I wrong. The book was good all through Kate's story, which was up to page 60+; but then the author switched to Lisa's story and that dominated the rest of the book. Lisa's story is so depressing it made me suggest she killed herself. Her and Kurt and Gavin. What sorry lives they led! And what a waste of time it was to read about it! The book closes nicely; but that was the last 10 pages, so that means I had to go through 80% of sad, depressing and pathetic narrative to get a semi decent ending. Sorry, but I just don't see how this book earned a Costa. I am not even going to bother in writing a summary of it. Read and shelved. Moving on. ( )
  AleAleta | Mar 22, 2014 |
I liked the beginning of this. The voice was enjoyable...then the summer caught up with me and I set this down. After book club discussion I will most likely not return to it. Back to the library with it. Just not compelling enough to return to with all the other summer goodness going on around me. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Engrossing story telling with lots of interwoven threads centred around Kate Meaney, a young girl who goes missing. The story is not so much about the search for Kate but about the consequences of a child's disappearance on others. ( )
  sianpr | Aug 24, 2013 |
I have found another new favorite author in Catherine O’Flynn. In her What Was Lost she takes her time and develops her story slowly and the reader is drawn firstly into the life of a 10 year old girl and then into the lives of two disenchanted people who work at the Green Oaks Shopping Centre. In fact the Green Oaks Shopping Center could be said to be the main character in the book as the story ebbs and flows through the centre’s endless corridors.

The book opens in 1984 and we meet Kate, a little girl who escapes her dreary life by pretending to be a detective. With her stuffed monkey and notebook in tow she is always on the lookout for suspicious behavior and one of her favorite hunting grounds is the new shopping centre, Green Oaks. As she notices someone who behaves suspiciously she is determined to tail him and find out what he is up to.

The book then jumps ahead 20 years and the mall is the working place of Kurt, a security guard and Lisa, an assistant manager of a music store. Late one night as he is watching the CTV screens, Kurt sees a little girl with a notebook and a toy monkey standing outside the bank, and, as she travels the back corridors of the mall, Lisa finds a stuffed money tucked in behind some pipes. As these two get together they first search for a lost little girl, but eventually realize they are experiencing links to the past when a little girl called Kate disappeared

I found What Was Lost a charming yet spooky story, with a unique plot that is made up of both the mystery and ghost story as well as a social commentary on consumerism and the dehumanising effects of these giant shopping malls. People’s reaction to this book appears to be varied, but for me, this was a brilliant, spell bounding read from a very talented writer and I can’t wait to see what she produces next. ( )
3 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jun 23, 2013 |
Written for Peter and dedicated to the memory of Donal of Hillstreet and Ellen of Oylegate.
Crime was out there.

Precocious 10 year old sleuth goes missing. Intertwined characters take up an investigation of what happens 20 years later.

A tender and sharply observant debut novel about a missing young girl—winner of the Costa First Novel Award and long-listed for the Booker Prize, the Orange Prize, and The Guardian First Book Award

In the 1980s, Kate Meaney—“Top Secret” notebook and toy monkey in tow—is hard at work as a junior detective. Busy trailing “suspects” and carefully observing everything around her at the newly opened Green Oaks shopping mall, she forms an unlikely friendship with Adrian, the son of a local shopkeeper. But when this curious, independent-spirited young girl disappears, Adrian falls under suspicion and is hounded out of his home by the press.

Then, in 2003, Adrian’s sister Lisa—stuck in a dead-end relationship—is working as a manager at Your Music, a discount record store. Every day she tears her hair out at the outrageous behavior of her customers and colleagues. But along with a security guard, Kurt, she becomes entranced by the little girl glimpsed on the mall’s surveillance cameras. As their after-hours friendship intensifies, Lisa and Kurt investigate how these sightings might be connected to the unsettling history of Green Oaks itself. Written with warmth and wit, What Was Lost is a haunting debut from an incredible new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:45 -0400)

Twenty years after her brother is hounded from his home by rumors about his alleged role in a young girl's disappearance, Lisa and her security guard friend become increasingly curious about a child they glimpse on a mall's surveillance cameras.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,336,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible