No title (2004)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

America the Beautiful by Katharine Lee Bates (2004)

Genre: poetry
Audience: Pre k-5
This is a beautifully illustrated book that has verses from the poem with appropriate pictures from different parts of the U.S. It is a great read for all children and I will use this in my classroom to chorally sing this poem at the beginning of each day while I show pictures on ELMO. ( )
  ShantiR | Feb 27, 2014 |
This picture book wasn't a story with beginning, middle and end. It was meshed together into a poetic piece with a line from America the Beautiful on each page followed by a moving quote by former presidents and our current president. It is poetic - a very nice read.
  NancyDW | Jan 23, 2014 |
Each page shares the lyrics of the song American the Beautiful and how we in America came to be.
  rjames1071 | Oct 24, 2013 |
America the Beautiful, illustrated by Chris Gall.

Acting on the recommendation of a friend, I recently requested the picture-book presentation of this lovely American song, with accompanying artwork by Wendell Minor, from my local library, only to receive this edition with illustrations by Chris Gall instead. I'm glad the mishap occurred - although I will still be tracking down a copy of the Wendell Minor version - as this is really a lovely book, and a wonderful tribute to one of America's most well-known patriotic songs. Composed as a poem in 1893, and published two years later in the pages of The Congregationalist, a Boston-based church periodical, America the Beautiful is a celebration of the natural beauty of our nation, and of the moral beauty of its history of immigration and struggle for freedom. The words of the song - O beautiful for spacious skies, / For amber waves of grain, / For purple mountains majesties / Above the fruited plain!" - provided the text, and are paired with gorgeous hand engravings that have been digitized and presented in color.

I found it very interesting that the artist here, Chris Gall, was the great-great-grandnephew of poet Katharine Lee Bates, who composed these words, and that he grew up in a home with a heirloom copy of the poem, in Bates' own handwriting, framed on the wall. That hand-written copy provides the inspiration for the decorative endpapers here, while the color engravings, which are really just beautiful, capture the spirit of each verse (or piece of verse) in the piece. I appreciated many of the artistic choices that Gall made, and the diverse peoples and time periods - the Lewis and Clark expedition, the Tuskegee Airmen, the steamship immigrants of the later 19th and early 20th centuries, the firemen who raised the flag in the rubble after 9/11 - he included in his work. I grew up singing this song, and it was a pleasure to be reminded of it. Now I'll have to see how Wendell Minor's visual interpretation of these words matches up! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 30, 2013 |
America the Beautiful, illustrated by Wendell Minor.

Written in 1893, when Wellesley English professor Katharine Lee Bates was traveling in the western United States, and inspired by a number of the sites she visited - the World Fair in Chicago, the golden prairies of Kansas, the majestic Rockies - the poem America the Beautiful was eventually set to music (composed by Samuel A. Ward) in 1910, and has become one of the most popular patriotic songs in the United States. The text of the poem/song is presented here in this lovely picture-book tribute, with accompanying artwork by Wendell Minor, while an afterword gives further information about Bates, Ward, and the landmarks depicted in the illustrations.

Having enjoyed looking at Chris Gall's visual interpretation of America the Beautiful recently - I had intended to read this version done by Wendell Minor, but somehow accidentally ended up with that edition instead, when requesting it from my library - I was curious to see what I would make of another artist's vision of the same song. All in all, I was greatly impressed! I found Minor's paintings beautiful, and when paired with the little descriptions of each that were offered at the rear, informative as well. There is a light-filled quality to his landscapes that really makes them come alive on the page, while his choice of theme and location - geographically and temporally diverse - was quite pleasing. Highly recommended to anyone looking for the song America the Beautiful in picture-book form. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 30, 2013 |
To my dear friends and classmates from Aurora West High, class of 1962.
You are the sould of the Heartland and the Spirit of America -W.M.
O beautiful for spacious skies,

The same country that inspired Katharine Lee Bates in 1893 to write "America the Beautiful" inspired Neil Waldman, one hundred years later, to illustrate Bates's poem with gorgeous acrylic paintings.

Waldman's stunning panoramas take us from coast-to-coast: from Niagara Falls to Napa's fruited plains, from Mount Rushmore to the Statue of Liberty. In the back of the book, there is a glossary that provides readers with more information about each site. Also included is the sheet music for the song "America the Beautiful," combining Bates's poem with the music of Samuel A. Ward's hymn.

Join Katharine Lee Bates and Neil Waldman as they marvel at the beauty of our country, and celebrate its glory.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:31 -0400)

An illustrated edition of the nineteenth-century poem, later set to music, celebrating the beauty of America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,293,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible