The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A…

The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Bill Watterson (Author)

Member:MsCellophane
Title:The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Authors:Bill Watterson (Author)
Info:Andrews and McMeel (1992), Paperback, 255 pages
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:comics

The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson (1992)

Recently added byAmmsf, Tom_Wright, private library, pineapple13, howelingwilderness, Nolanhahn
art (12) Bill Watterson (16) Calvin (16) Calvin and Hobbes (168) cartoons (145) childhood (25) children (14) children's (12) collection (23) comedy (8) comic (96) comic book (14) comic books (13) comic strips (100) comics (404) favorites (9) fiction (110) funny (13) graphic novel (19) humor (407) illustrated (15) imagination (13) non-fiction (10) own (27) owned (14) paperback (13) philosophy (11) read (53) tigers (14) Watterson (10)

The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes is a good book for second graders. This book is about Calvin, a six-year old boy who hates school and his classmate Susie Derkins, and his stuffed tiger Hobbes. Calvin wants to have a good summer, so he watches tv and stays inside to play dart gun with Hobbes. When Calvin's parents say he can't watch tv, he goes over to Susie's and asks if he can watch tv there. She says, "Sure. Come in. It's a commercial," so Calvin stays there for a few hours and then goes outside and plays baseball with Hobbes. After that, they play football. In the middle of summer Calvin and his family go camping near the lake, and Calvin jumps in the water and catches a big fish. When he comes out, Calvin pretends he's Tarzan and swings from a vine. He puts his toes in the water and realizes the water is really cold, so he swings back on the vine and is very scared. Overall, Calvin has a very good summer getting revenge on Susie, building a club called Gross, getting rid of "slimy girls," and having a good time with Hobbes.

I thought this book was stupendous because Calvin is always trying to have a good time. I can relate to this book because I always try to find people to play with and I like to read comic books, just like Calvin.
  Nolanhahn | Jun 16, 2014 |
Calvin and Hobbes in some ways fall into the same category as Joni Mitchell and geology: why didn't anyone tell me about them when I was little? Why didn't I go looking for them? How was I to know such things could possibly exist? ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
wisdom from the mouths of precocious babes (yeah, I know, really from some dude), hilarious, *love* all C&H collections ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
I loved this as a kid. It was always a great way to get a quick laugh. I would love to use it as a teacher. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes is an omnibus treasury that is composed of material previously released in The Revenge of the Baby-Sat and Scientific Progress Goes Boink. As a result, this treasury isn't actually indispensable at all - which is part of the joke. The fact that Watterson would go to the lengths of making sure that even the titles of his treasuries contribute some humor is, to me, illustrative of the care that Watterson takes in crafting his comic. And that care shows up in the consistent high quality of the resulting output.

Almost everyone should be familiar with Calvin, a precocious, imaginative, unruly six or seven year old boy and his stuffed tiger Hobbes. Hobbes comes to life when Calvin is alone with him, and is Calvin's best friend. Although the strip is somewhat ambiguous on the point, Hobbes's lively activities are almost certainly a product of Calvin's imagination, which makes the fact that Hobbes appears to be a good deal smarter and more mature than Calvin that much funnier.

The book contains several funny mini-storylines - three encounters with Calvin's dreaded babysitter Rosalyn, including his stealing her science notes and locking her out of the house; Calvin's attempt to complete bug collection while waiting for the bus, and later attempt to write a report on bat (Bats = Bugs!); Calvin's disastrous experiments with his Duplicator (it turns out, multiple Calvin's are nothing but trouble for the original), and his Time Machine (dinosaurs think tigers might make a tasty snack); Calvin's interminable wait for his propeller beanie which turns out to be a huge disappointment; and Calvin, under peer pressure, signing up to play baseball. All are funny, and all capture what life as an overactive little boy is like, retaining an honesty amidst the humor.

But where Calvin and Hobbes shines is always the single strips, in which Calvin waxes philosophical, or lets his imagination run wild (the Spaceman Spiff interludes and imaginative dinosaur strips are among my favorites. I love Calvin's demented snowman sculptures too). Among the best are those with little or no dialogue - Calvin using an umbrella to make an impromptu pool, hosing his mother down as she leaves the house, and my favorite, convincing his dad to go play with him in the snow - all told just in pictures.

I also think Watterson is an underrated poet - the book leads off with several pages with a single picture and a brief poem - either humorous, or touching, or both. The strips in which Calvin improvises poetry (usually over the sleeping Hobbes) are also among the best, such as Calvin's alliterative haiku:

"Twitching tufted tail,
A toasty, tawny tummy:
A tired tiger.
"

While The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes may not technically be indispensable, it is certainly pretty close in my estimation. As with most Calvin and Hobbes material, this one gets my strong recommendation. ( )
4 vote StormRaven | May 11, 2009 |
I made a big decision a little while ago.

Calvin, the six-year-old dirty tricksmeister and master of indignation and his warm, cuddly philosopher sidekick and Hobbes, a tiger whose idea of adventure is to lie on his back by the fire and have his stomach rubbed. This unlikely due captured the hearts, the minds, and, most of all, the funny bones of America. The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes contains a full-color section, as well as the cartoons appearing in The Revenge of the Baby-Sat and Scientific Progress Goes "Boink." All Sunday cartoons are presented full-page and full-color.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:12 -0400)

A selection of cartoons from the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes," in which Calvin goes to the beach, watches a sunset with his father, and seeks revenge on his baby-sitter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,220,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible