Minority Report: Volume Four Of The…

Minority Report: Volume Four Of The Collected Stories (Collected Short… (edition 2000)

by Philip K. Dick

This volume covers a wide span, from late 1954 through to 1963, the years during which Dick began writing novels prolifically and his short story output lessened. The title story of this collection has been made into the Steven Spielberg-directed movie of the same name, while "The Days of Perky Pat" inspired one of Dick's greatest works, the novel The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch; The Penultimate Truth grew from "The Mold of Yancy". Philip K. Dick is shown at his incomparable prime in this fourth volume of the definitive collection of short fiction.… (more)
Member:wulf
Title:Minority Report: Volume Four Of The Collected Stories (Collected Short Stories of Philip K. Dick)
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Gollancz (2000), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:library, fiction, scifi, anthology

The Minority Report and Other Classic Stories by Philip K. Dick

English (14)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (17)
Free will is iffy
"better keep your eyes open"
when you're the boss man. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Mejores y mejores cuentos ( )
  maxtrek | Jan 30, 2019 |
This is the third collection of short stories I've read by Dick in the last couple of months, and I remain impressed at how good most of them are! I've described them before as "Twilight Zone" sci-fi, and that's how these roll out, especially "Explorers We"! And I love all of the themes/issues that are dealt with on these pages - post war stories, propaganda, time travel, anti-government, anti-war, etc.. The story "Autofac" makes me think of what Amazon.com might be headed toward! And, of course, I really enjoyed (again!) "The Minority Report"! Also, as a Bay Area resident, I loved the mention of so many local towns and locations, especially the city directly to my north, Petaluma! The longest story in here, "What The Dead Men Say" was my least favorite, and four of the last six in the collection didn't really do much for me. But the last story, "Oh, To Be A Blobel!" ended the book on a high, high note! Still, I do want to know, what is a swibble? ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Sep 3, 2017 |
Only the third Philip K Dick I've read. This was interesting more than engaging, but that was the idea: question your perceptions of reality. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
this is a book of his earlier short stories. some of them are pretty good, others just alright. i've never read him before and i suspect he's better to read in a collection of lots of authors - i found reading him all at once to be pretty repetitive. i guess if you are familiar with him and other stories coming out in the 50's and 60's it might be cool to see his progression of ideas, and how he'd keep trying a certain theme to get it right. i guess i was hoping for a little more evolution in the ideas since he was returning to them over and over, but didn't find that. still, i did like some of these, and i enjoyed his paying homage to other sci-fi authors in the stories. i especially enjoyed his personal commentary about the stories themselves. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Apr 2, 2013 |
Toen Anderton de jongeman zag binnenkomen, was zijn eerste gedachte: 'Ik word kaal. Kaal en dik en oud. '
Tension hung over the three waiting men.
This work is Volume 4 of the collected works of Philip K. Dick, and contains 18 stories. It was published under the following titles:
1. The Days of Perky Pat, 1987.
2. The Minority Report and Other Classic Stories, US 1991.
3. Minority Report, UK 2000.
4. The Minority Report, US 2013.
5. Volume IV: The Minority Report, unabridged Audiobook, US 2015.

This work should not be combined with:
1. Minority Report and Other Stories which is an audio production of only 5 stories (Minority Report, We Can Remember it for You Wholesale, Paycheck, Second Variety, and The Eyes Have It).
2. Minority Report [short story]
3. Minority Report, 0375421874, Pantheon 2002. This is a novelty hardback edition which contains only the single short story.
4. Minority Report (0575074787; 0575075201; 1857987381), a 2002 UK Gollancz film tie-in collection of 10 stories.
5. Minority Report [movie]

Correct ISBNs for Volume 4 include:
US: Underwood/Miller 0887330533; Citadel Twilight 0806512768; Citadel 0806523794; Citadel 0806521686
UK: Gollancz 0806523794; Grafton 0586207686; Millenium 1857989473;
Germany: Haffmans 9783861508113

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,822,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible