After the First Death by Robert Cormier

After the First Death (1979)

by Robert Cormier

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
WAS a classroom book (left from a previous teacher), but I don't see any point in keeping it in my grade 7/8 library. Way too much for that age level, I think. This one wasn't nearly as good as any of the other Cormier novels I've read. I wasn't compelled to finish it; rather, I unenthusiastically plugged along to find out how it all comes together in the end. It was satisfying predictably disturbing, but made no major impact on me. I would've enjoyed discussing this at length with my peers and a good English teacher in high school, but that need can't effectively be met with online chats with strangers. I do recommend it to high school ELA teachers, but I don't know if it's worth the cost of other, more worthy novels. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I didn't like the switching points of view. The story was just okay. ( )
  Kathryn_Brown | Dec 1, 2014 |
After The First Death authored by Robert Cormier is a story about a camp bus that gets hijacked by a group of terrorists that consist of Miro, Artkin, and Antibbe. The terrorists want the worst for America and will stop at nothing until it happens, so their idea is to hijack a camp bus after it picks up all the kids and then drive it to the middle of a bridge and stay there until they get ransom money. They will go to any extreme even if it means committing homicide. The only way to communicate with the terrorists is sending somebody to their van in front of the bus. The only person they will negotiate with is the General's son. The General's son willingly communicates with the terrorists in their van with no guard in an attempt to get the school children released from the terrorists captivity.
This book is pretty good. I would give it a 3/5 because it wasn't as interesting as I anticipated but it keeps you hooked in a way that you want to know what outrageous thing the crazy terrorists are going to do next. I like how this book was completely unpredictable it kept me shocked from the beginning due to the twists and turns in the terrorists decision making process. The author does a good job at creating the picture in your mind without dragging it on for a whole chapter, you can picture yourself on the bus so easily and you don't get bored when the author is describing things because its short and to the point. After The First Death wasn't my favorite book but if you like suspenseful stories then pick this book up. ( )
  br13jadu | Apr 4, 2013 |
Summary: Terrorists hijack a summer camp bus full of children.

Evaluation: I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Robert Cormier. I tend to think his books are a little depressing. His characters, however, are multi-layered. I do like how Kate tries to use her wits to save the children. Even if it doesn't work, she still comes across as a strong female character. The terrorists are three-dimensional as well. They aren't just "the bad guys." They have stories and lives, too. ( )
  crimson_idealist | Mar 26, 2010 |
This book was an excellent read. It keeps you very involved, not really ever hitting a dry spell
  Kyri | Apr 8, 2009 |
After the first death, there is no other. - Dylan Thomas
I keep thinking that I have a tunnel in my chest. The path the bullet took, burrowing through the flesh and sinew and whatever muscle the bullet encountered (I am not the macho-muscled type, not at five eleven and one hundred eighteen pounds.)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440208351, Paperback)

Who will be the next to die?

They've taken the children. And the son of a general. But that isn't enough.

More horrors must come...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:58 -0400)

Events of the hijacking of a bus of children by terrorists seeking the return of their homeland are described from the perspectives of a hostage, a terrorist, an Army general involved in the rescue operation, and his son, chosen as the go-between.

20 avail.1 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,754,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible