The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy…

The Scarlet Pimpernel (1905)

by Baroness Orczy Emmuska

Series: The Scarlet Pimpernel chronological (1)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (SandSing7)
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (LKAYC)
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (MarcusBrutus)
    The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope (LKAYC)
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman (morryb)
    The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig (electronicmemory)
    Rob Roy by Sir Walter Scott (morryb)
    The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: A young adult historical fantasy set during the breathless build-up to the French Revolution/the Terror. A dastardly villain, a string of creepy murders & an intriguing psychic gift make this a lot of fun.
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (bjappleg8)
    Moonstone Obsession by Elizabeth Ellen Carter (EECarter)
    EECarter: Set during the French Revolution. A romance. A guest appearance by Sir Percy Blakeney.

English (124)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (129)
Fun little adventure!! I might have to check out some of the other books in the series, which I hadn't even realized it was the first in a series. Thanks for that info Goodreads!! ( )
  Krista-S | Jul 21, 2018 |
Lady Blakeney is a bit of a disappointment, considering she was written by a woman. However, the story being told through her point of view is a very interesting device. They are the proto-couple for Nick and Nora Charles (of the movies). Sir Percy himself is fantastic, and despite the slow-start to the book, the writing is exciting and story very captivating. ( )
  CinnamonAndSpite | Jul 18, 2018 |
They seek him here,
They seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.

What fun! An old-fashioned rollicking romance, with dashing young cavaliers and twisted misunderstandings between lovers, set against the horrors of the French Reign of Terror. The Scarlet Pimpernel himself is slightly more daring and strong than his followers and clever enough to be an Oscar Wilde character.

I admit to not being surprised by a single turn of the storyline. I suspect that I saw this in movie form back in my childhood. But that hardly mattered. I loved the horrible predicaments Marguerite found herself in, the dastardly nature of Chevelin, and the unassailable British character of Sir Percy. Truth is, when we are young girls we dream of a man who is strong, handsome, owns a yacht, and will have eyes for no one but ourselves. Reading this novel made me feel young again. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
A fun adventurous romp. A bit repetitive near the end but a thoroughly enjoyable read. Love the effusive language, so fun and often pompous. Highly recommended. ( )
  erinclark | Apr 19, 2018 |
I never had to read The Scarlet Pimpernel in my youth & I wondered about its premise. The Scarlet Pimpernel is a hero of sorts. The importance of his acts of heroism were explained early in the story. What interested me more than his altruism was figuring out identity. Once that is solved there was more intrigue to be had. I think reading it as an adult made more sense than if I'd tried as a teen. The play on words, cultural exchanges & pursuit of happiness gained more appreciation. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |

Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weller, LucyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wildschut, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmermann, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A surging, seething, murmuring crowd of beings that are human only in name, for to the eye and ear they seem naught but savage creatures, animated by vile passions and by the lust of vengeance and of hate.
We seek him here,
we seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven? -
Is he in hell?
That damned, elusive Pimpernel!

An English noble
saves French aristocracy
from the guillotine.
(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451527623, Mass Market Paperback)

This timeless novel of intrigue and romance is the adventure of one man's defiance in the face of authority. The rulers of the French Revolution are unable to discern the identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel, a man whose exploits are an embarrassment to the new regime. Is he an exiled French nobleman or an English lord? The only thing for certain is his calling card--the blood-red flower known as the Scarlet Pimpernel...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

"The year is 1792. The French Revolution, driven to excess by its own triumph, has turned into a reign of terror. Daily, tumbrels roll over the cobbled streets of Paris bearing new victims to the insatiable Madame Guillotine." -- Back cover.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,294,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible