The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy

The Scarlet Pimpernel (1905)

by Baroness Orczy

Series: The Scarlet Pimpernel chronological (1)

4,696None1,004 (4.05)321
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (SandSing7)
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre pere Dumas (LKAYC)
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (MarcusBrutus)
    The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope (LKAYC)
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman (morryb)
    The Red Necklace: a story of the French Revolution by Sally Gardner (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: A young adult historical fantasy set during the breathless build-up to the French Revolution/the Terror. A dastardly villain, a string of creepy murders & an intriguing psychic gift make this a lot of fun.
    Rob Roy by Walter Scott (morryb)
    The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (bjappleg8)

English (98)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (103)
This is another one of those books that I'm puzzled why I never came across years ago. Set in the time of the French Revolution, it's an entertaining and fast-paced adventure and love story that (in my mind) was like a cross between Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities and something by Alexandre Dumas.

I found it refreshing that this story was told from the perspective of a resourceful (for her time?) young woman...although as a modern reader, I would have preferred that she played an even more active/pivotal role in the final dramatic events.

A fun and quick read. ( )
  emanate28 | Mar 5, 2014 |
Because I originally read this in high school English class, I always had the idea that this book was considered capital-L Literature, but I've since realized that it's actually rather trashy. It goes down smooth--quick and very easy to read.

This rereading left me with the idea of The Scarlet Pimpernel as the Twilight of its time, only with an adventure/historical fiction theme instead of fantasy. Between the melodrama and angst, the sweeping mysteries and secrets, the excessive physical descriptions, the sometimes lolarious writing...I'm sorry to say that I caught a resemblance.

That said, I really like The Scarlet Pimpernel. The late-night scene between Percy and Marguerite after the Lord Grenville's ball is a favorite. I have a hard time picturing Marguerite as a blue-eyed strawberry blonde, despite what Orczy has to say about it. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
This was one of "the classics" that I chose to read in 2014. And I am glad that I did.

"The Scarlet Pimpernel" has history, action, romance, devotion, evil, and suspense all stirred together in a light-hearted romp through England and France during the time of the French Revolution.

Can the famous Pimpernel be warned in time of his betrayal by one close to him? Or will the dastardly representative of the bloodthirsty French Republican government, Chauvelin, triumph, and bring his quarry to meet Madame Guillotine? Keep reading to find out... ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 27, 2014 |
This timeless novel of intrigue and romance is the adventure of one man's defiance in the face of authority. The rulers of the French Revolution are unable to discern the identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel, a man whose exploits are an embarrassment to the new regime. Is he an exiled French nobleman or an English lord? The only thing for certain is his calling card--the blood-red flower known as the Scarlet Pimpernel...
  AhalyaLiteraryAngels | Nov 27, 2013 |
This book was one of my most impulsive reads. This one wasn't in my TBR, in any of the lists I sometime follow (that I know of), was not part of any Book Club reads, real life ones or otherwise, nor was it a recommendation. Long story short, I got around to reading it and well, it was quite interesting for a grim subject - the French Revolution.

This was my second book (after A Tale of Two Cities, but while The Tale of Two Cities went right into the heart of the matter, this one flirted and skirted around the issue, which is probably also the reason for it be the more cheerful of the two.

There is mystique (even if quite predictable), drama, and a sense of anticipation in the entire book. The length was just right, any longer and it would have been a drag. So was the general tone, tenor and characters - the good guys were really good, the bad really evil and the good guys with bad deeds, repentant, which made for some easy, uncomplicated reading.

While I am not really tempted as of now to read the sequels, for a standalone book, it worked out quite well. ( )
  PiyushC | Nov 23, 2013 |

Musterd-de Haas, ElsEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wildschut, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmermann, WalterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A surging, seething, murmuring crowd of beings that are human only in name, for to the eye and ear they seem naught but savage creatures, animated by vile passions and by the lust of vengeance and of hate.
We seek him here,
we seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven? -
Is he in hell?
That damned, elusive Pimpernel!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451527623, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:13 -0400)

In 1792, during the French Revolution's Reign of Terror, an English aristocrat known to be an ineffectual fop is actually a master of disguises who, with a small band of dedicated friends, undertakes dangerous missions to save members of the French nobility from the guillotine.… (more)

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible