The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating…

The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips,… (2004)

by Louis Borgenicht

246None46,414 (3.77)None

English (4)  German (1)  All languages (5)
The set treats the baby as a computer unit fresh out of the box, complete with a big Quick Start guide. The book is full of good information and all the items are both funny and useful. Its the sort of gift that you will buy time and time again. (I've bought two, so far). ( )
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

This is so funny! It really does have useful information, but I'm a mom twice over, so nothing in it was news to me. If I were to gift this to someone, it would be the dad-to-be.

As funny as it is, the graphics catch your eye and the information is laid out in a logical manner. It literally is an instruction book about babies. I think it would take out some of the mystery that usually scares guy silly.

One of the first things covered is "The Baby: Diagram and Parts List" and it goes on to talk about the head, hair, fontanels, eyes, etc. Just a quick description, but enough to let someone know what's coming. The only thing missing is the fact that they may lactate. Both my boys lactated a few days after birth. Totally weirded me out, thank GOD for Google! lol

But there are pictures, information, and lots of to-dos to prepare for the baby, how to hold the baby, how to feed the baby. You get the idea. I love that they call the pediatricians "service providers" and parents "users."

Best advice "Trust your own instincts and intuition." Yes, I really do think this is a good baby book...I mean Owner's Manual. ( )
  lilacwolf | Dec 3, 2012 |
The Baby Owner’s Manual by Louis Borgenicht, MD, and Joe Borgenicht, D.A.D., can be used as a reference guide by all new parents and probably some who already have children. The main approach of the book is similar to how a manual would talk about your new stereo or other consumer product by first describing its parts and functions and then discussing care and maintenance. There are tips on how to perfectly swaddle the baby and how to deal with emergency situations. Included also is a section on what accessories are not included, such as bottles and diapers, and a caution that some “models” may vary. New parents don’t have a ton of time to read this book cover-to-cover, but it is easily dipped into for advice, particularly if they encounter a particular problem at feeding or bed time.

Please see the full review on Aug. 12: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2011/08/review-of-quirks-the-baby-owners-books.html ( )
  sagustocox | Aug 11, 2011 |
This presented some great instruction for a first time parent in a way that is easy to read for anyone that is more technically inclined. This is geared mostly toward men though. ( )
  jegan22280 | May 6, 2008 |

Humorously presented yet serious advice on parenting.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible