The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

The Tommyknockers (edition 1988)

by Stephen King

7,29066808 (3.32)1 / 136
Something was happening in Bobbi Anderson's idyllic small town of Haven, Maine. Something that gave every man, woman, and child in town powers far beyond ordinary mortals. Something that turned the town into a death trap for all outsiders. Something that came from a metal object, buried for millennia, that Bobbi stumbled across. It wasn't that Bobbi and the other good folks of Haven had sold their souls to reap the rewards of the most deadly evil this side of hell ...… (more)
Member:Chancelet
Title:The Tommyknockers
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1988), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 752 pages

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

Recently added byprivate library, JasonSly, egaston, TangledPages, dracul72
    The Harvest by Scott Nicholson (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Both books deal with an alien force slowly taking over a rural community.
    The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another book that deals with a sinister alien force that slowly possesses a small town.
    Brain Wave by Poul Anderson (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: King references Brain Wave in The Tommyknockers and with good reasons. Both books deal (in part) with people whose intelligence is suddenly and unexpectedly increased dramatically.
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (sturlington)
    Cross County by Tim Waggoner (beckylynn)
    Prey by Michael Crichton (Hedgepeth)

English (58)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (66)
I mean, yeah. It is fair from his best work, but it had some nice moments. But the reason it gets three stars rather than two is honestly just... the setting. The characters, the town. Granted, it's 99% white and heterosexual, but it is still a nice study of character in my opinion - and that's really its strongest quality. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
In my opinion this is one of the last great King novels. I appreciate that he decided to start stretching his legs and getting into the fantasy thing. He has shown just how capable he is with a pen and just how deep he can cut. Great book. Highly recommended. ( )
  Joe73 | Jul 25, 2019 |
Oh Mann, dieses Buch. Nach Aussage von Stephen King ist es awful. So ganz unrecht hat er damit leider nicht. Schriftstellerin und in gewisser Weise auch Einsiedlerin Bobbi Anderson lebt mit ihrem Beagle Peter in einem Haus am Wald. Eines Tages stolpert sie über ein Stück Metall, das aus dem Waldboden ragt und fängt an zu graben. Das seltsame Ding entpuppt sich als Raumschiff. An sich ist daran ja nichts weiter verkehrt und sagen wir mal so: Die Dinge, die danach alle passieren, das seltsame Verhalten der Einwohner Havens....das ist wirklich gut. Das hat mir sehr gefallen. Der Aufbau bis zum großen Finale ist in gewohnter King-Manier langsam und erzählerisch hervorragend. Aber das Finale. Mann, das Finale!

Das drückt in ungefähr alles aus, was ich davon halte. Mehr kann ich auch einfach nicht dazu sagen.

Ich kann dieses Buch nicht guten Gewissens weiterempfehlen. Bei über 1000 Seiten gleich dreimal nicht. Meine Güte, Herr King, was haben Sie da bloss verbrochen. Und was hab ich verbrochen, dass Sie mich damit so quälen mussten.

Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
“Late last night and the night before, tommyknockers, tommyknockers knocking on my door.
I wanna go out, don't know if I can 'cuz I'm so afraid of the tommyknocker man.”

I had tried to read this book a few times over the last 10 years or so and kept putting it down. King has a tendency to be long winded while setting up the background of the story, and this book stays true to that form. This time around I tried it on audiobook and managed to get past the initial drawn out beginning and actually ended up enjoying the book.
This was actually one of the creepiest stories I've read in a long time!

Bobby Anderson takes a walk in the woods on her property one day and trips over a piece of metal sticking out of the ground. She finds she has an overwhelming urge to dig it up. That decision turns out to be devastating for the small town of Haven, Maine. After starting to dig and realizing that she has found an alien spacecraft Bobbi starts to change, and the whole town follows suit. Strange things start happening around Haven, and to anyone who tries to enter town.

ChelleBearss | Mar 9, 2018 |
“The Tommyknockers” by Stephen King
Review Written by Diana Iozzia

I can tell you right now that Stephen King is my favorite author. He writes horror fiction, which is one of my favorite genres, and he’s damn good at it. Everyone either despises him or worships him. “The Tommyknockers” was one of the only books I’ve read by him that I despised. You read about a very uninteresting and depressed protagonist named Bobbi Anderson. Bobbi is walking in her backyard with her old dog, when she finds a hunk of metal protruding from the ground.

There are many ways to spoil this book, but I’d rather not completely ruin it for you. It’s very reminiscent of an episode from The Twilight Zone, or at least the beginning is. In many of King’s books, he writes of his inspirations and his connections, but sometimes, they feel so much more coincidental and slightly like he rips off some of his stories.

I love Mr. King, but this was a very skippable book. It’s absolutely gigantic, and I just could not finish this with my sanity full intact. I was tired and bored of it by the first three chapters. Perhaps, I’ll re-read it in ten years and see if my thoughts have changed. Unfortunately, for now, I wouldn’t recommend this book. ( )
2 vote dianaiozzia | Apr 16, 2017 |
The first third of ''The Tommyknockers'' is wonderful. With his usual eerie effortlessness, Mr. King attaches us to Bobbi and Gard, taunting us with menace neither they nor we can define. When evil starts gobbling Haven with a vengeance, swollen prose and comic-book grue spurt out one authentic gem (a little boy's magic show) and instill in us a creeping terror of good country folks. The last third of the novel is Armageddon, as is usual with Mr. King.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Late last night and the night before,
Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers,
knocking at the door.
I want to go out, don't know if I can,
'cause I'm so afraid
of the Tommyknocker man.

—TRADITIONAL
Well we picked up Harry Truman, floating down from Independence,
We said, "What about the war?"
He said, "Good riddance!"
We said, "What about the bomb? Are you sorry that you did it?"
He said, "Pass me that bottle and mind your own bidness."

—THE RAINMAKERS,
"Downstream"
The terrorist got bombed!
The President got hit!
Security was tight!
The Secret Service got lit!
And everybody's drunk,
Everybody's wasted,
Everybody's stoned,
And there's nothin gonna change it,
Cause everybody's drunk,
Everybody's wasted,
Everybody's drinkin on the job.

—THE RAINMAKERS,
"Drinkin' on the Job"
Then he ran all the way to town, screamin
"It came out of the sky!"

—CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL,
"It Came Out of the Sky"
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

—THE WHO,
"Won't Get Fooled Again"
FOR TABITHA KING

"...promises to keep."
For want of a nail the kingdom was lost—that's how the catechism goes when you boil it down.
Do not combine the movie with the book; not the same work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,111,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible