The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (1962)

by Joan Aiken

Series: Wolves Chronicles (1)

Recently added byTanjarina, SStehlik, JGKC, davidgn, private library, FilibusterMan, guscat, BarclayLibrary, EllenBeu

English (55)  Spanish (1)  All languages (56)
Hardcover, dust jacket
  EllenBeu | Aug 10, 2015 |
Whew. Wolves attacking railway cars. Wolves attacking people. Wolves everywhere.

But that’s just one plot point and it’s not the main one. The main story concerns a rich girl and her poor cousin. The parents of the rich girl head off on a voyage, determined to help the mother heal from her illness. The girls are left in the hands of their governess. But, oh, what a wicked governess she is! The governess fires all the servants, sells off the girls’ beautiful toys and clothes, and proceeds to take over the home, sending the girls into a school for the destitute.

And then there are those wolves…. ( )
1 vote debnance | Jul 25, 2015 |
When Sylvia Green goes to live with her rich cousin Bonnie's family she finds the household on the verge of great changes as Sir Willoughby Green and his wife are about to leave for a six-month voyage for the sake of Lady Green's health. They are leaving Miss Slighcarp, Bonnie's new governess and a distant relation, in charge, but they are sadly deceived about her character.

Classic children's story set in an alternative history where in 1832 Britain is ruled by the Stuart King James III and the countryside is overrun with wolves from the Continent which have made their way through the Channel Tunnel.

I remember reading this as a child and I fairly whizzed my way through it. My memory was that the King put in an appearance but no sign of him. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 19, 2015 |
Read this several times as a child, exciting adventure in an interesting setting. I don't, however, feel terribly tempted to reread it as nowadays I need more than that to value a book. I find it interesting how our reaction to favorite children's books can change, but sometimes does and sometimes doesn't, as we reread them as adults.

ETA:
Well, I succumbed to temptation, since I had this on my physical shelves and it fit a group challenge.

This time around I found it just a bit cliched. I probably liked it for the spunky girls - both were clever and brave and admirable individuals, but they were still different from one another. It's def. melodramatic, but in what many would consider a good way, perhaps a titch like those Lemony Snicket books. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Bonnie and her cousin Sylvia are left alone with the suspicious governess Miss Slighcarp, when Bonnie’s parents are leaving for a sea voyage. Miss Slighcarp have plans to take possession of the Willoughby Chase estate. And she sends the children to an orphanage run by Mrs. Brisket who must be in some relation to Fagin.

At the same time wolves are threatening the children at every turn. A Dickens-like YA-tale from victorian times - scary, fast-paced and very entertaining. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Jan 15, 2015 |

Joan Aikenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aiken, LizzaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorey, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marriott, PatIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JOHN and ELIZABETH and TORQUEMADA
It was dusk—winter dusk.

Wicked wolves and a grim governess threaten Bonnie and her cousin Sylvia when Bonnie's parents leave Willoughby Chase for a sea voyage. Left in the care of the cruel Miss Slighcarp, the girls can hardly believe what is happening to their once happy home. The servants are dismissed, the furniture is sold, and Bonnie and Sylvia are sent to a prison-like orphan school. It seems as if the endless hours of drudgery will never cease.

With the help of Simon the gooseboy and his flock, they escape. But how will they ever get Willoughby Chase free from the clutches of the evil Miss Slighcarp?

This new edition features an introduction by Aiken's daughter, Lizza, providing insight into the struggles Aiken--much like her heroines--had to endure before finally finishing this classic story a decade after she started writing it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

Surrounded by villains of the first order, brave Bonnie and gentle cousin Sylvia conquer all obstacles in this Victorian melodrama.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,154,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible