The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (1962)

by Joan Aiken

Series: Wolves Chronicles (1)

English (60)  Spanish (1)  All languages (61)
This was surprisingly good. I'd never read it as a kid, heard a lot about it as an adult, started reading it and was mildly annoyed, but then ended up flying through it and really enjoyed it. Will need to read sequels. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Many years since I first read this. Still love it! A little bit of everything - mystery, danger, friendship. A lovely tale. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Once my five-year-old got past his confusion (he thought it was a story about wolves hunting wallabies), we all quite enjoyed this audio book. It was a fun little story along the "riches to rags" and "spunky orphans" lines. There wasn't much else to it, but it was fun and provided discussion of some new vocabulary (plaits, quince, and landau, most notably; that last one I knew thanks to the New York Times crossword puzzle).

I'm not sure if we're going to pick up the other books in the series. Maybe after we've re-listened to all of the Penderwicks books in preparation to read Jeanne Birdsall's latest. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Feb 3, 2016 |
Bonnie and her gentle cousin Sylvia are left in the care of the power-crazy Miss Slighcarp. England in the 19th century comes alive, with a very exciting story which is mostly believable, albeit rather melodramatic at times. Very enjoable. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Bonnie Green is the privileged daughter of Willoughby Chase. When her mother gets ill, her parents leave on a sea voyage, putting her in the care of a distant relative, Miss Slighcarp, who will serve as governess to both Bonnie and her cousin Sylvia who has also come to live at the Chase. However, once the parents have gone, the girls discover that Miss Slighcarp is a very different person than any of them imagined, and her actions will have lasting consequences for everyone involved.

Growing up this was one of my favorites, so I definitely wanted to read it with my kids. Given their love of audio books, I figured we'd give that a try. The edition we listened to was read by the author's daughter Liza Aiken and was prefaced by a history of how this novel came to be. I really enjoyed getting the background of the book, though my kids were merely anxious to get to the story. It started a bit slow for them, but once we finally got the adventure they were enthralled all the way to the end. Listening as an adult, I don't love it quite as much as I did a child, as the style is clearly meant for a younger audience and so the story is more simplistic than those I enjoy now. I particularly wish that more time had been spent on their journey from Blastburn to London. I still thoroughly enjoyed the novel however and highly recommend it for children between the ages of 8-12. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |

Joan Aikenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aiken, LizzaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorey, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marriott, PatIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For JOHN and ELIZABETH and TORQUEMADA
It was dusk—winter dusk.

Wicked wolves and a grim governess threaten Bonnie and her cousin Sylvia when Bonnie's parents leave Willoughby Chase for a sea voyage. Left in the care of the cruel Miss Slighcarp, the girls can hardly believe what is happening to their once happy home. The servants are dismissed, the furniture is sold, and Bonnie and Sylvia are sent to a prison-like orphan school. It seems as if the endless hours of drudgery will never cease.

With the help of Simon the gooseboy and his flock, they escape. But how will they ever get Willoughby Chase free from the clutches of the evil Miss Slighcarp?

This new edition features an introduction by Aiken's daughter, Lizza, providing insight into the struggles Aiken--much like her heroines--had to endure before finally finishing this classic story a decade after she started writing it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

Surrounded by villains of the first order, brave Bonnie and gentle cousin Sylvia conquer all obstacles in this Victorian melodrama.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,155,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible