Lucky: A Memoir by Alice Sebold

Lucky: A Memoir (edition 2002)

by Alice Sebold

Member:spartahiker
Title:Lucky: A Memoir
Authors:Alice Sebold
Info:
Tags:Memoir

Lucky: A Memoir by Alice Sebold

Heartbreaking. Tough. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
Rape, drugs, sex, misfortune, and recovery. Intense opening rape scene. Do NOT want to be raped. ( )
  krishnahappy | Mar 27, 2014 |
Harrowing. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
What I liked most about this book, was Alice Sebold's realism. She was not your average [if there is such a thing] rape victim. It shattered her world, in ways that were not common.

It changed her relationships, her course of life, her thinking -- but not in any way you'd predict.

I enjoyed her candor, her bluntness, her strength.

Perhaps more thorough review in the morning.. ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
I read this after reading 'The Lovely Bones' and was unable to put it down until finished. It's not a long book so it didnt tie me up for days, but it was compelling. The emotion with which it was written was certainly felt. A very very thought provoking book. ( )
  KerryMarsh | Jul 3, 2013 |
Voor Glen David Gold
In the tunnel where I was raped, a tunnel that was once an underground entry to an amphitheater, a place where actors burst forth from underneath the seats of a crowd, a girl had been murdered and dismembered.
No one can pull anyone back from anywhere. You save yourself or you remain unsaved.
“Poetry is not an attitude. It is hard work.” (Quoting Tess Gallagher)
“Memory could save . . . it had power . . . it was often the only recourse of the powerless, the oppressed, or the brutalized.” (Referring to Tobias Wolff’s own story, This Boy’s Life)
“You never get over some things.”
From an interview with Alice Sebold that is published as a supplement in the back of the book:

Question: People often wonder if writing is therapeutic. If you’re writing about a trauma, does that help the pain of the trauma recede? Susie in the novel [a different book] says something like every time she tells her story, a drop of the pain goes away. But as a writer who’s written about your own trauma and then written a fictionalized version of a similar trauma, is writing therapeutic or do you think that that’s really the wrong way to approach it anyway?

Answer: My feeling is that therapy is for therapy and that writing can be therapeutic, but therapeutic writing should not be published. My job as a writer is to go through the therapy myself and, if I manage to get through it and I feel I have something to share from that, to share it with my audience or my readers. But I don’t write novels and seek to have them published so that I can get therapy from having written them. That’s really the responsibility of an individual to do outside the context of their published work.

In a memoir hailed for its searing candor and wit, Alice Sebold reveals how her life was utterly transformed when, as an eighteen-year-old college freshman, she was brutally raped and beaten in a park near campus. What propels this chronicle of her recovery is Sebold's indomitable spirit-as she struggles for understanding ("After telling the hard facts to anyone, from lover to friend, I have changed in their eyes"); as her dazed family and friends sometimes bungle their efforts to provide comfort and support; and as, ultimately, she triumphs, managing through grit and coincidence to help secure her attacker's arrest and conviction. In a narrative by turns disturbing, thrilling, and inspiring, Alice Sebold illuminates the experience of trauma victims even as she imparts wisdom profoundly hard-won: "You save yourself or you remain unsaved."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:31 -0400)

In this memoir, Alice Sebold reveals how her life was transformed when at age 18 she was raped and beaten in a park near her college campus.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,367,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible