Penguin Modern Poets 10: The Mersey Sound:…

Penguin Modern Poets 10: The Mersey Sound: Adrian Henri, Roger McGough,… (1967)

by Adrian Henri, Roger McGough, Brian Patten

281440,152 (4)24

I read this on a recent trip to Liverpool when I had some time to sit in between the two cathedrals on Hope Street, where I think Roger McGough had a flat once.

It's a fine collection of poems that reflect the vibrant and sometimes slightly bizarre minds of their creators. I guess at the time of writing Henri, Patten and McGough were still trying to find themselves as much as they were trying to, not define, but capture a glimpse of the vibe of the late sixties in the place where so much of British pop culture began.

I only wish more of the poems could have found themselves onto a Scaffold record. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
The first book of poetry that I discovered for myself. The original copy is now very battered, signed by both AH and BP and my most treasured possession. Has refreshed my soul on many occassions, not least, long ago, when teachers where trying to make me believe that poetry had to be something all together different. I LOVE THESE GUYS! ( )
1 vote BrandNewRose | Aug 23, 2007 |
Republished this year, a replacement for my long lost 1967 edition. These poems are my adolescence. I loved them all. ( )
1 vote herschelian | Jul 9, 2007 |
Poetry from later-C20th Liverpool. The collection is good, featuring a diversity of works of each of the poets. Often realistic quite often this is juxtaposed with sureal or fantastical imagery, such as in Pattern's 'A small Dragon'. Very powerful in effect, with hints of optimissom throughout despite the general downcast atmosphere. ( )
  aMenalque | Jul 30, 2006 |

Henri, Adrianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGough, Rogermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Patten, Brianmain authorall editionsconfirmed

" 'The Mersey Sound is an attempt to introduce contemporary poetry to the general reader by publishing representative work by each of three modern poets in a single volume, in each case the selection has been made to illustrate the poet's characteristics in style and form'. With this modest brief, The Mersey Sound was conceived and first published in 1967. An anthology which features Roger McGough's work, alongside that of Brian Patten and Adrian Henri (The Liverpool Poets), it went on to sell over half a million copies and to become the bestselling poetry anthology of all time."[Amazon.co.uk]

POETRY ANTHOLOGIES: FROM C 1900 -. '"The Mersey Sound" is an attempt to introduce contemporary poetry to the general reader by publishing representative work by each of three modern poets in a single volume, in each case the selection has been made to illustrate the poet's characteristics in style and form'. With this modest brief, "The Mersey Sound" was conceived and first published in 1967. An anthology which features Roger McGough's work, alongside that of Brian Patten and Adrian Henri (The Liverpool Poets), it went on to sell over half a million copies and to become the bestselling poetry anthology of all time.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,454,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible