Crooked House by Agatha Christie

Crooked House (1948)

by Agatha Christie

Recently added byWiszard, rnbwpnt, Chascur, carose59, Yardape, private library, dearJ, smichaelwilson
Legacy LibrariesRobert Ranke Graves , Astrid Lindgren

English (29)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (34)
The Aristide Leonides, the nonogenerian Greek patriach of the Leonides family has been poisoned, and Charles, a young man terribly in love with the granddaughter Sophia, has been asked by his father, Scotland Yard, and by Sophia to find out who did it. As an accepted outsider to the family they thought he might be able to find out things that the Inspector could not. Charles gains the confidence of a very young grandchild who knows things and will only give him some, but not all that she knows. He finds himself suspecting one member after another, never sure which one has actually done it. Then there is another murder attempt and it begins to look like Scotland Yard has found their suspects. Christie does it again with twists, turns and outliers. It'll keep you guessing. ( )
  triciareads55 | Mar 26, 2016 |
One of Agatha Christie's stand alone books and set in a multi-generation country house near London. A good mystery from the late forties told in the first person by Charles Hayward, who hopes to marry into the family of the recently deceased patriarch, Aristide Leonides. It kept my interest and I liked the twists in the story.
  hailelib | Mar 21, 2016 |
In this stand-alone mystery, Charles Hayward meets and falls in love with Sophia Leonides when both are employed in Egypt shortly after World War II. Charles has another posting that will separate him for Sophia for two more years, and he announces his intention to propose to her as soon as he returns to England. Two years later, he arrives back in England to find the Leonides family mourning the death of its head, Sophia's grandfather, Aristide Leonides. While most people would assume that a man of his age (nearly 90) had died of natural causes, this doesn't prove to be the case. He was murdered. Sophia will not agree to marry Charles until the murder is solved, refusing to attach him to the suspicion that will hover over the family with an unsolved murder. Charles has no choice but to go to the family's estate and gather enough information to solve the crime. He'll have no trouble getting information from the police since his father is Assistant Commissioner of Scotland Yard.

This is a characteristic Christie country house mystery with a surprising twist at the end. I didn't see it coming. In the author's foreword, Christie admits that this book is one of her favorites. The characters include the murdered patriarch who controlled the purse strings, two sons and their wives, three grandchildren (the youngest of whom reminded me very much of Flavia de Luce), a very young second wife, a poor relative taken into the family fold, and the younger grandchildren's tutor. There are young lovers separated by suspicion and a missing will. I deducted points because no one really solves the mystery. They discover a letter that reveals the details of the crime that others were only beginning to suspect.

.”..Some people, I suspect, remain morally immature. They continue to be aware that murder is wrong, but they do not feel it. I don't think, in my experience, that any murderer has really felt remorse . . . And that, perhaps, is the mark of Cain. Murderers are set apart, they are 'different'--murder is wrong—but not for them--for them it is necessary—the victim has 'asked for it,' it was 'the only way.'” ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Feb 21, 2016 |

"Writing 'Crooked House' was pure pleasure and I feel justified in my belief that this is one of my best." Agatha Christie.

Definitely my favorite as well......

Aristide Leonides is dead of poisoning.... He wasn't a very nice man, yet he was a very rich man who took care of his family. Fully aware of his familys' shortcomings, he spoke the truth as he saw it, no matter whom he upset......

Living with him in the old mansion were: his two sons & their wives, his three grandchildren, his first wife's sister, his young and beautiful second wife, and his grandchildren's tutor. All had alibis as well as the opportunity and motive for wanting the mean old man dead.

Charles Hayward (the son of a Scotland Yard detective) is engaged to marry aristide's granddaughter, Sophia Leonides. At Sophia's behest, Charles is the one to investigate and solve the murder; for until he accomplishes the task, Sophia will not marry Charles.

This was such a surprise ending.... I certainly never saw it coming nor did I ever see the clues for what they were.

Definitely my favorite of all the Agatha Christie mysteries.... the one I could never figure out or guess what was coming next. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Unexpected twist ending. I suspected everyone, or so I thought, and I was still wrong. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jan 15, 2016 |

Piirimaa, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rojkowska, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seeberg, Axel S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segurado, Maria GeorginaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I first came to know Sophia Leonides in Egypt towards the end of the war.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031298166X, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

In the sprawling, half-timbered mansion in the affluent suburb of Swinly Dean, Aristide Leonides lies dead from barbiturate poisoning. An accident? Not likely. In fact, suspicion has already fallen on his luscious widow, a cunning beauty fifty years his junior, set to inherit a sizeable fortune, and rumored to be carrying on with a strapping young tutor comfortably ensconced in the family estate. But criminologist Charles Hayward is casting his own doubts on the innocence of the entire Leonides brood. He knows them intimately. And he's certain that in a crooked house such as Three Gables, no one's on the level...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,847,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible