Someone I Loved by Anna Gavalda

Someone I Loved (2002)

by Anna Gavalda

Recently added bybaranyok, private library, irian117, milla37, ivt73, andresmma, Roks, Annimaria

English (4)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (13)
Molto bello!E' tutto descritto così romanticamente che ci si ritrova a provare il dolore di chi lo narra senza neanche capirlo! ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
I adored this slip of a story. The prose is refined and sparse with not one superfluous sentence.

The inside jacket description reads as follows:

"With this deceptively simple novel Anna Gavalda delivers an uncommon romance about the unpredictability of love, the toll it takes on its victims - both innocent and guilty - and the unanticipated resilience of its survivors. Caustic, authentic and humanely sensitive, Someone I Loved is a revelatory work of fiction."

This completely sums up how I feel about Gavalda's book. The story grabbed me from the start and I felt as though I was a part of the tale - as a silent observer of events as they unfolded. I can see this story as a theatre production. I think it would be brilliant on stage. The dialogue is wonderfully sharp and the relationship of the two main characters, father-in-law and daughter-in-law, is an unusual angle of approach.

FYI - The story is actually only 158 pages in length. The book comes with the English translation as well as the original French version of the story. Together both versions make up the 338 pages. I was so surprised I had reached the end, but then went "Hmmm, yeah, that works."

Gavalda has been noted as one of France's best and most successful writers. Between Someone I Loved and Hunting and Gathering (which is still my favourite book read this year) I can understand where the praise is coming from and look forward to reading more of Gavalda's novels.

My favourite quote from the book is this one (pages 149/150):

"Life is stronger than you are, even when you deny it, even when you neglect it, even when you refuse to admit it...It's incredible but that's the way it is. Life is stronger than anything. And who are we to be so self-important? We bustle about, talk in loud voices, and for what? What happens, afterwards?" ( )
1 vote DawsonOakes | Apr 6, 2013 |
eh bien, c'est fini. j'ai fini de lire ce premier (pour moi) livre de Anna Gavalda. Sans doute, elle écrit très très bien, mais ... bof, chais pas... c'est le thème qui me semble un peu mélo! ( )
  TheAuntie | Aug 23, 2012 |
Chloe, casada y con dos hijas pequeñas, es abandonada por su marido, que decide irse con su amante, asi que ella acepta la invitación de su suegro para pasar unos días en la casa de campo de la familia. La novela, bastante breve, es un dialogo entre Chloe y su suegro en el que ella expresa su rabia y su desesperacion y en el que el le relata una parte de su vida de la que ella era ajena. El dialogo 'chirría' en la traducción, por lo que el placer de la lectura se ve bastante comprometido. La obra es una reflexion (no muy profunda) sobre la importancia de la fidelidad en el matrimonio, el significado de las aventuras extramatrimoniales y sobre las diferentes respuestas que se pueden dar a las necesidades y deseos del cónyuge/amante. ( )
  alalba | Jun 16, 2010 |
Unser Leben entgleitet uns, aber das ist nicht schlimm.

A woman is abandoned by her husband. Shaken by the betrayal, she and her two children are taken to the most unexpected of places to heal: the country farm of her remote and diffident father-in-law. What unfolds between them is a relationship that changes both their lives - one that transforms their notion of family and encourages a better understanding of each other and the choices of the heart. With this deceptively simple novel Anna Gavalda delivers a romance about the unpredictability of love, the toll it takes on its victims - both innocent and guilty - and the unanticipated resilience of its survivors.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,099,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible