Ron Carlson Writes a Story by Ron Carlson

Ron Carlson Writes a Story (2007)

by Ron Carlson

Ron Carlson takes the reader through the process of writing a story, focusing a great deal on how to create the "physical world" of the story, and why this is so important. I found the book to be encouraging and enlightening. There are so many wonderful bits of wisdom about the writing process in this book, it is definitely worth reading. ( )
  NancyStebbins | Aug 24, 2009 |
super! I've used his methods successfully. Great exercises. Short book - only 112 pages, but has done me more good than many larger books. ( )
  pcalico | Jul 16, 2009 |
Carlson takes us through the creation of a short story, line by line, and composed in a single sitting. This approach affords him the opportunity to explain how with each sentence, each decision made in introducing action, character or description opens up the story and moves it forward. Although we are looking over the shoulder of a master short story writer with decades of experience (I imagine few will compose with the ease and confidence he has), he urges the less experienced writer to ignore the many distractions (mostly imagined, but some real) and to stay seated, not only despite, but because of the uncertainty of knowing what will come next. It is only through staying with the process that knowledge and certainty come. It is a very useful lesson. This short book is written in a relaxed, personable style. Not a handbook, but a good, quick refresher.
  Queenofcups | Oct 24, 2008 |
One of the best books about writing I've read, this book made me want to sign up for every class Carlson teaches (too bad I don't live anywhere near him). He is engaging and friendly, all the while giving brilliant insight into the writing process. I will read this one again. ( )
  Alirambles | Apr 4, 2008 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,650,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible