Dr. Franklin's Island (Readers Circle)…

Dr. Franklin's Island (Readers Circle) (edition 2003)

by Ann Halam

Member:kitty-catline
Title:Dr. Franklin's Island (Readers Circle)
Authors:Ann Halam
Info:Laurel Leaf (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:ann halam, horror, science fiction, adventure

Dr. Franklin's Island by Ann Halam

So, let the students pick the book we would read for Book Club...Sigh. The book wasn't that good. I guess the author thought that since it is a young adult novel, she didn't have to include a plot that was realistic. Or maybe this just isn't my type of book. The best thing I can say about it is that we are finished. Phew. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Oh dear, quite possibly one of the most boring books I have ever read. Okay, I mean, it started out fairly good. And I was confident it would be good because my friend wouldn't let it rest till I read it. But the second they became animals, I seriously was falling asleep. It was SO boring. Nothing was happening. At all. Had to go through pages and pages of a freaking mantra swimming around doing... nothing. The start was okay, and the end was okay. But everything in between was garbage. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Soft-serve YA science fiction, with strong themes of imprisonment and abuse, and false authority. Very much a modern spin on the Island of Doctor Moreau, the use of young people as test subjects instead of animals makes it much easier to engage.

The writing really isn't very good, unfortunately. If the narrator were any more passive she'd be a sea squirt, and she spends much of the time worshiping her hyper-competent, always unflappable friend as the plot plods along. It's beach reading, but also an opportunity to teach a younger reader about critical pop-lit concepts like Mary Sues. ( )
  Bieeanda | Jun 18, 2012 |
I LOVE this book. I can't think of one single thing I don't like this book. It is so interesting and sometimes keeps you on the edge of your seat. It makes you want to yell out to the characters, telling them things to do. I loved how creeped out I was a lot of the time. This is such a well written book, and I love everything about it. ( )
  samajama27 | Mar 8, 2011 |

Semi, Miranda, and Arnie are part of a group of 50 British Young Conservationists on their way to a wildlife conservation station deep in the rain forests of Ecuador. After a terrifying mid-air disaster and subsequent crash, these three are the sole survivors, stranded together on a deserted tropical island. Or so they think. Semi, Miranda, and Arnie stumble into the hands of Dr. Franklin, a mad scientist who’s been waiting for them, eager to use them as specimens for his experiments in genetic engineering.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440237815, Mass Market Paperback)

"When something terrifically terrible happens to you, I think your brain doesn't get it, for quite a while. You go on trying to see the world the way it was, even when common sense should tell you that everything has changed forever."

Semirah Garson is certain that nothing could ever be more horrific than what she has just lived through: a plane crash in the middle of the ocean followed by the shocking discovery that she and the other survivors are stranded on an apparently deserted island with no Target or Taco Bell in sight. But she's wrong. Because no matter how hard it is for Semi, Arnie, and Miranda to bear the sun, snakes, and fading hope of rescue, it's nothing compared to what Dr. Franklin has in store for them. It's his private island they've had the misfortune to land on. And it's his private hell they'll have to endure. Dr. Franklin is too old to test his theories of animal gene therapy on himself. He needs resilient teenage bodies that have already proven they can handle great trauma. Semi's always wondered what it might be like to breathe underwater. She just never imagined she'd know firsthand....

Veteran science fiction author Ann Halam has taken the framework of H.G. Wells's classic evolution parable The Island of Dr. Moreau and crafted an exquisitely wrought 21st-century update that plays on all our modern fears of test-tube clones and misguided medical ethics. Haunting, bold, and heartily recommended. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:52 -0400)

When their plane crashes over the Pacific Ocean, three science students are left stranded on a tropical island and then imprisoned by a doctor who is performing horrifying experiments on humans involving the transfer of animal genes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible