D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths by Ingri…

D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths (1967)

by Ingri D'Aulaire, Edgar Parin D'Aulaire

Beautifully illustrated portrayal of Norse myths. Really very interesting tales. ( )
  AccyP | Jan 12, 2019 |
My favorite book as a child - I'd check it out of the library over and over again. I loved the weird and dark myths, along with the comedic ones (Thor in drag!). The illustrations were great, and I still remember them vividly many years later. It marks the beginning of my long-standing love affair with mythology, fantasy, and the oddness of reality. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Breathtaking illustrations that pull the reader immediately into the Norse myths they are retelling. A must for any history/english lesson.
  Jaded.Animal | Dec 3, 2017 |
I loved reading Norse myths as a kid (as well as a variety of folktales from all over the world), so it was a pleasure to revisit the Norse gods in this excellent collection by the D'Aulaires. The myths combine wonderful tales of the origins of natural things and people with creepy stories of monsters, frost giants and huge world-ending wolf beasts. I enjoy how the Norse gods are capable of human-like anger, jealousy and deceit, especially Loki the former frost giant.

I love how Ingri D'Aulaire's art combines motifs and influences from ancient Norse art, and how she draws hairy trolls and mythical beasts. Her colors, especially in her depictions of Asgard, are incredibly rich and vibrant. Her work is full of knots and roots and animals hiding in small spaces.

I also recommend their excellent and funny "Book of Trolls." ( )
  motorbuffalo | Jun 23, 2017 |
I took this book out of the local library so much, my mother gave it to me as a childhood birthday present. Flat out, the illustrations (as well as overall artistic style), and the narration is spellbinding. I love it. ( )
  MarchingBandMan | May 31, 2017 |

Ingri D'Aulaireprimary authorall editionscalculated
D'Aulaire, Edgar Parinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chabon, MichaelPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of May Massee, our old friend
Early in the morning of time there was no sand, no grass, no lapping wave. There was no earth, no sun, no moon, no stars.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159017125X, Hardcover)

The Norse myths are some of the greatest stories of all time. Weird monsters, thoroughly human gods, elves and sprites and gnomes, with grim giants nursing ancient grudges lurking behind—the mysterious and entrancing world of Norse myth comes alive in these pages thanks to the spellbinding storytelling and spectacular pictures of the incomparable d'Aulairse. In this classic book, the art of the Caldecott Award—winning authors of d'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, a longtime favorite of children and parent, reaches one of its pinnacles. It offers a way into a world of fantasy and struggle and charm that has served as inspiration for Marvel Comics and the Lord of the Rings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:58 -0400)

A collection of Norse myths describing the exploits of the Aesir gods and goddesses, beginning with the creation of the world and ending with the day of reckoning. The companion to D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, a treasured part of so many children's libraries, has returned to print after more than twenty years. The Caldecott medal winning D'Aulaires once again captivate their young audience with this beautifully illustrated introduction to Norse legends, telling stories of Odin the all father, Thor the thunder god and the theft of his hammer, Loki the mischievous god of the Jotun Race, and Ragnarokk, the destiny of the gods. Children meet Bragi, the god of poetry, and the famous Valkyrie maidens protecting Odin's Valhalla, among other gods, goddesses, heroes, and giants. Textured illustrations throughout depict the wondrous other world of Norse folklore and its fantastical northern landscape. Includes color illustrations throughout.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,182,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible