Surrender by Sonya Hartnett

Member:crimson-tide
Title:Surrender
Authors:Sonya Hartnett
Info:Viking (2005), Hardcover
Tags:fiction, australian author, ya, family, death

Surrender by Sonya Hartnett

Recently added byCharanr, Mirandalg14, Estramir, UICS, private library, -sunny-, ChickensAreBrave

I picked up this book randomly and I was surprised at first to find out that it was classed as 'young adult' fiction. The story is rather bleak and has at least one very disturbing scene. The writing is inventive, compelling, and easy to read. The whole story pushes you towards the final surprising conclusion. It's hard to find a connection to the characters however, there isn't much good to be found in any of them. The main theme here is freedom, which is of course a central element of growing up, so I suppose that makes the 'young adult' label relevant. ( )
  Estramir | Aug 16, 2014 |
I thought I was in a Sonya Hartnett mood - I like her spare, elegant writing. But I hadn't realised how little I was in the mood for bleakness. The dynamic described between the two characters is poignant but also twisted and I wasn't quite in the right mood. Also should have known that there'd be emotional OUCH involved given that a dog plays a central role. ( )
  Kirstie_Innes-Will | Apr 18, 2014 |
Harrowing, unsettling, painful and beautifully written. So close to five stars. The only thing that held me back from bestowing the ultimate mark was the fact that I ended up with a fairly large "wh..wh...whaaat?" reaction. I have a vague feeling I kind of, maybe know what it was all about, but I suspect I could be completely wrong. I'd have liked just a little more clarity on that front but I'm very happy to have read this and to now let it slowly percolate through my consciousness. Maybe one day the meaning will become if not clear at least a little less muddy.

September 2012: Six months later and I'm convinced that no amount of percolation is going to de-muddy that ending. I'm still as bemused as I was the day I finished reading. Oh well. ( )
  Vivl | Apr 19, 2013 |
Who gives a shit about beautiful language when the plot and characters are beyond dull, dry, and boring. I don't feel anything for a single character in this story. Nothing really happens in this book, I don't see what the hullabaloo about it is. I only made it to the end since I have to read it for class. ( )
  thelukewarm225 | Apr 3, 2013 |
There are some books that you read that you don't necessarily like, but that you think really speaks volumes. This is one of those books. This book focuses on Anwell, also known as Gabriel throughout, and his childhood and then his adult life. The book journeys through the friendship he forms with another boy named Finnigan. Through twists and turns in this book you get to the startling revelation at the end of the book.

Sometimes a book tries to be more high-brow than it should have been. This is one of those books. It was a pleasant book to read, but it also left something to be desired because you are never fully aware of what is really going on within it. This starts to make sense as the mystery in it starts to finally unravel though. It doesn't make it a 5 star book though. There is a basic understanding of life that is missing from this book within the vast majority of its pages. It isn't until that ending that you finally see some humanity in the story, which would have greatly helped this book.

The biggest reason that this book speaks volumes is that it shows the power of life being the family that you are born into. People have some control over their lives, but a lot of it does come down to whomever your parents are and what their lives are like. While it never directly states this you get this feeling. The reader starts understanding if poor Anwell had just been born into any other family that his life may have been greatly different.

There are moments in this book that are interesting, which is why that it still gets 4 points. It isn't an easy to read book by any means, but it leaves a taste in your mouth that sometimes you need to have as a reader. This is an award winning book for a reason and everyone should read it at least once, but past that I am not sure it is one of those books you can go back and reread at a later date. The once that you got through it is more than enough. You will however understand the baseline of humanity after reading this book and I think that is something worthwhile here. ( )
  EricPatterson | Mar 31, 2013 |
For Dmetri Kakmi
I'm dying.

I am dying: it’s a beautiful word. Like the long slow sigh of a cello: dying. But the sound of it is the only beautiful thing about it.

As life slips away, Gabriel looks back over his brief twenty years, which have been clouded by frustration and humiliation. A small, unforgiving town and distant, punitive parents ensure that he is never allowed to forget the horrific mistake he made as a child. He has only two friends - his dog, Surrender, and the unruly wild boy, Finnigan, a shadowy doppelganger with whom the meek Gabriel once made a boyhood pact. But when a series of arson attacks grips the town, Gabriel realizes how unpredictable and dangerous Finnigan is. As events begin to spiral violently out of control, it becomes devastatingly clear that only the most extreme measures will rid Gabriel of Finnigan for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:49 -0400)

As he is dying, a twenty-year-old man known as Gabriel recounts his troubled childhood and his strange relationship with a dangerous counterpart named Finnigan.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763627682, 0763634239

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143001582, 0143204726

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,328,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible