The Rag and Bone Shop (Readers Circle) by…

The Rag and Bone Shop (Readers Circle) (2001)

by Robert Cormier

Disturbing, which is what I love about Cormier's books. They make you look at things differently! ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
Normally I don't like Robert Cormier's writing.

Normally I don't like mysteries.

This book blows both those assumptions out of the water for me. First, this is only sort of a mystery--we, as readers, know that Jason is innocent, and that Trent is a slimy weasel who won't be swayed by the truth when he wants a confession. The mystery is, in part, finding out exactly what did happen the day 7-year-old Alicia was killed.

Second, The writing here is looser and warmer than I'm used to seeing from Cormier; ironic considering how cold and calculating the interrogator is. The style works, though, and propels readers along, leaving us every bit as stunned and confused and uncertain as Jason himself is.

I'll probably continue my slow wade through Cormier's extensive body of work, because I do find his ideas fascinating, and his books really do stick in my head. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |
“The Rag and Bone Shop” by Robert Cormier is an excellent, thrilling novel. In this book a twelve year old, Jason is falsely accused of murdering his seven year old neighbor Alicia. Sent to interrogate Jason was a man named Trent, who has never left a interrogation without a confession, whether it’s trueful or not.

This book was very well written. Almost too well. At times I had to put the book down and focus on something else as a result of the what some characters do in this story to benefit themselves. I pitied Jason and hated Trent .“The Rag and Bone Shop” explores the innocent mind of Jason slowly turning corrupt. Another reason I enjoyed this book was how real it was. Everything single thought and detail in this book made perfect sense.

Robert Cormier was unafraid to dig into some of the darker aspects in this novel. Somewhat similar to “I am the Cheese” (another novel by Robert Cormier, also very good) but, more intense. All in all if you I highly recommend this book (if you don’t mind a little violence.)
  br13miwh | Sep 16, 2012 |
The rag and bone shop by Robert Cormier fits the genre of mystery involving the brutal murder of a 7 year old girl named Alicia. Trent, a merciless detective, is brought in town to interrogate the prime suspect a 12 year old Jason Dorrant. The case is weak with no evidence other then Jason being friends with Alicia and being the last to see her alive. Under immense pressure from the senator and community, Trent ignores his intuition and forcefully manages to get a confession. The only problem is that Jason had no idea he was even a suspect, and more importantly did not commit the crime he just confessed to. Guilt is a major theme throughout the novel especially in the end when the real killer is revealed. This leaves Jason, like many young adults, puzzled of how he could allow someone to judge, accuse and even convince them of something didn’t do. Justice prevailed but only for an instant when the author hints Jason just may have turned into what Trent managed to convince him of. Young readers might be challenged by some of the vocabulary, but would overall enjoy this novel. Teachers would be able to lead a high-quality class discussion of the characteristics involving struggles, problems, and solutions. Grade 6 and up. ( )
1 vote eussery | Apr 7, 2012 |
  MissBoyer3 | Sep 4, 2011 |
"Feeling better?"

This is a psychological thriller about the police interrogation of a teenage boy accused of murdering a young girl.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440229715, Mass Market Paperback)

This final novel from the grand master of young-adult fiction is one last jewel in the literary crown of Robert Cormier, who died in November 2000. In it he continues to explore the themes that are so characteristic of his work: guilt and forgiveness, misuse of authority, and the corruption of innocence. But a new book from Cormier is always a surprise, and here he gives us a brilliant evocation of the detective story, in a narrative that centers on the interrogation of a murder suspect.

A 7-year-old girl has been battered to death, and there are no suspects, no leads. The police, under political pressure to make an arrest, bring in Trent, a cold, ambitious professional interrogator who prides himself on his ability to extract confessions. His victim is 12-year-old Jason--the last person to see the girl. We know that Jason is innocent, and halfway through the interrogation Trent realizes it, too, in "a blazing moment." But like a medieval torturer, his goal is confession, not truth, and so he stifles his impulses for good and proceeds with the job, with deeply ironic consequences.

The interrogation itself, which forms the centerpiece of the novel, is dazzling in its elegant thrust-and-parry, its subtle twists and turns, as Jason frantically tries to escape, like a mouse caged with a python. The point of view snaps back and forth so that we are intensely aware of the shifting emotions of both participants in the deadly game. And once again, Cormier has given us an ending that seems provocative and uncomfortable--until we remember that the center of his moral universe was always summed up by the words "if only." (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:40 -0400)

Trent, an ace interrogator from Vermont, works to procure a confession from an introverted twelve-year-old accused of murdering his seven-year-old friend in Monument, Massachusetts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,742,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible