American Tabloid by James Ellroy

American Tabloid (original 1995; edition 1995)

by James Ellroy

Member:mlitvin
Title:American Tabloid
Authors:James Ellroy
Info:Knopf (1995), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 576 pages

American Tabloid by James Ellroy (1995)

English (20)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (31)
Wow. No way it all went down exactly like this, but it could have, anyway I think Ellroy's pretty close. There's so much detail here that it took a second reading just to get a good idea of what's going on. The first time through, I think I was focused on the Kennedy assassination stuff so much that I missed ninety percent of the story. And I had no idea that it was a trilogy... will definitely be moving on to The Cold Six Thousand now. ( )
  5hrdrive | Jul 16, 2016 |
Deckare av den hårdkokta varianten blir inte bättre och mer sofistikerade än så här. ( )
  Arwid | Jun 14, 2016 |
This is an exciting thriller that made me breathless until the last page. It is the first book of the Underworld USA trilogy . It is the rise of the Kennedys to the day of the assassination of JFK. It is the story of how the Mafia, corrupt agents (FBI / CIA) to the highest authorities had their hands in the game. It is also the story of the Cuban Crisis. Even if it is a fiction, shows Ellroy how politics works. Although this is a purely American history, it could happen in many countries worldwide like that. It shows once again that money rules the world and who sold the devil his soul, it gets never return. ( )
  Ameise1 | Apr 3, 2016 |
History class was never this exciting. Ellroy's AMERICAN TABLOID seduces you with bad news, spilling out the extortion, bribery, and killings that underlay the forces of history between 1958 and 1963.

Through it all are three fixers trying to play all the parties involved: FBI, Mob, Justice Department, CIA, and more. There are few things more enjoyable than watching someone good at their job, and these three men are very fucking good at their jobs—except when they forget that they're tools of the powerful, to be used and discarded when out of control.

The prose? Like uppers on uppers, hurtling forward with maximum velocity and minimum equivocation. It doesn't hurt that he gets to revel in the lurid details, both weaving together and ripping apart history with the glee of a good skank sheet. It's goddamn infectious, as you can probably tell.

That style—and the subject matter—keep this from being properly understood in the maximalist tradition: think Pynchon, Gaddis, Delillo. Encompassing decades of American history and myth is an even grander aim than any of those chumps, and this is just installment one of three.

Next up: THE COLD SIX THOUSAND and BLOOD'S A ROVER. ( )
1 vote gregorybrown | Oct 18, 2015 |
This is an extremely violent book. I'm quite tough, but I found the relentless descriptions of torture and murder really hard going. Ellroy writes well, and has created a plausible back story to the Kennedy assassination. The layers of corruption in American politics dip and weave around each other. Ellroy's use of language that would have been normal at the time was hard to read, given that I live in a time when racist, misogynist hate speech quite rightly is not acceptable. I'm not naive, I know such speech, such attitudes still exist, but the language has become shocking. As gripped as I was by the story, I found reading it exhausting, and it definitely affected my mood. Ellroy very skilfully makes you care about the hideously corrupt main characters. He makes you see that the shining knights of democracy aren't the paragons their PR says they are. Everything in the book is underpinned by filth and nastiness. Even though I enjoyed the book, I don't know that I will read any more of Ellroy's books. Not if they make me feel like I need to take a shower every couple of pages! ( )
  missizicks | Aug 13, 2015 |

James Ellroyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nat Sobel
America was never innocent.
original title: American Tabloid

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037572737X, Paperback)

We are behind, and below, the scenes of JFK's presidential election, the Bay of Pigs, the assassination--in the underworld that connects Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, D.C. . . .

Where the CIA, the Mob, J. Edgar Hoover, Howard Hughes, Jimmy Hoffa, Cuban political exiles, and various loose cannons conspire in a covert anarchy . . .

Where the right drugs, the right amount of cash, the right murder, buys a moment of a man's loyalty . . .

Where three renegade law-enforcement officers--a former L.A. cop and two FBI agents--are shaping events with the virulence of their greed and hatred, riding full-blast shotgun into history. . . .

James Ellroy's trademark nothing-spared rendering of reality, blistering language, and relentless narrative pace are here in electrifying abundance, put to work in a novel as shocking and daring as anything he's written: a secret history that zeroes in on a time still shrouded in secrets and blows it wide open.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:12 -0400)

A novel of the Kennedy era, portraying the president in a far from flattering light. There are three protagonists: a CIA agent who pimps for JFK, another agent who trains anti-Castro rebels, and a lawyer who is a Mafia hunter. Through their eyes are seen the conflicting interests of the Kennedys, the director of the FBI, organized crime, organized labor, Castro and Cuban exiles. By the author of White Jazz.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,477,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible