Drawing Blood by Poppy Z. Brite

Drawing Blood (1993)

by Poppy Z. Brite

English (15)  Finnish (1)  All languages (16)
This is really a 4.5.

Another of Brite's "is it romance or is it horror?" books. This one adheres almost perfectly to the typical romance formula, and still manages to be quite down and dirty. I felt like it was an ideal combination of both genres, although it didn't quite blow me out of the water.

Poor kids... ( )
1 vote dknippling | Dec 5, 2014 |
I should've read this shortly after Lost Souls, way back in the day.
3.5 stars oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
Weeltje's contribution to the Dutch version of the Favorites Roundabout.

It was an okay read, but not much more than that. It seems that I am getting myself into rings that involve quite explicit sexual content and as with the other, I did not like it.

The first half of the book was okay, but despite that more happened, it did not really like the second.

I'm done and it'll go on to the next reader. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
A beautifully written, highly unpleasant story. Not, strictly speaking, horror - at least, it fails on my basic calculation. No one ever, for more than a few minutes, feels helpless. In fact, the horror is rather ineffectual - short-term scary, but never anything like overwhelming. It is a very nasty story, on several levels - lots and lots of (mostly illusionary, but not entirely) gore, but more importantly some seriously screwed-up characters. And all of them seem to be determined to do a thorough job of screwing up any parts of their lives that aren't already screwed up. Drugging yourself constantly (whether with legal or illegal drugs) is a really bad way of handling problems - they only show up later, and worse, and accompanied by the problems caused by the drugs. In fact, my objection to the book is less that it's horror and more that it's too literary - unpleasant things happening to unpleasant people. It does improve on most literary novels by having something of a happy ending - several of the characters are actually better off, both physically and emotionally, than they were when we first met them. So I'm not really sorry I read it. However, I have no intention of ever reading it again, or any others by the author. Not my cup of tea. If you truly enjoy R. Crumb comics, though, read this - you'll love it. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 5, 2013 |
Wonderfully visual novel. Good characters and story held my attention. Great locations and had a decent story flow.
Follow main character and the people he picks up along the way from New Orleans to North Carolina, Good Read!! ( )
  Scoshie | Apr 10, 2011 |

Poppy Z. Briteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Cherie vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Missing Mile, North Carolina, in the summer of 1972 was scarcely more than a wide spot in the road.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible