Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

Exquisite Corpse (1996)

by Poppy Z. Brite

English (36)  Spanish (1)  All languages (37)
When I was 13 I attempted to read this book, and now, I distinctly remember throwing it away in disgust after the first chapter.
WARNING, WARNING, WARNING
This novel truly is *disgusting*, vile, extremely disturbing, putrid. Feel brave? Come on in.
This would be equivalent to a scratch and sniff garbage pail kid sticker, labeled bloody fart.
But....SERIOUSLY this retched story sucks you right in, twists and turns you all around, has you writhing in gore, wincing through DETAILED rough gay sex, and squirming through the wretchedness of HIV and necrophilia.
When it’s through with YOU, it spits you right out to rot in your own stench in the relentless sun.
Absolutely terrifying. I had an actual night terror/ sleep paralysis from this book. I swore it was from having the book on my bed while I slept. I woke up and threw it off my bed.
I made it through, I have no plans to read it again, as it is not my favorite genre of horror (necrophilia) But I pay my respects to Brite, he sure knows how to TERRIFY me.
I do plan to revisit all her titles now that I am an adult and not my rad 90s goth tween self, looking at the world through rose colored glasses.
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
A convicted serial killer (based on real life psychopath Dennis Nilsen) leaves his prison cell as a dead man and rises again to build a new life. His journey takes him to New Orleans' French Quarter- to the decadent bars and frivolous boys that haunt the luscious dark corners of a town brought up on Voodoo and the dark arts. Anticipating a willing victim he finds an equal (based on real life psychopath Jeffrey Dahmer), something he never expected even in his wildest dreams... Two men thrown together by fate share dangerous desires and a love that brings fear along with lust, and leaves a trail of blood from London to the USA.

bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
This is the last Brite book I read. She excells at creating moments and images like gory diamonds, but the overall plot is just a means for her to get from lurid detail A to eyeball eating B. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Honestly don’t know how to rate this. I know this isn’t a unique reaction to this book. I have to admit, it made me squirm a little and I am NOT squeamish. Not sure why exactly (aside from the fact that it’s absolutely gruesome and completely inappropriate for most people!). However, I have to disagree with the reviewers who strongly fault the writing itself. Yes, content-wise, there was too much sex and not enough plot, but I actually liked the characters and following their relationships. It managed to keep me engaged anyway. Not award winning to be sure. But not annoying to read because of incompetence. Still…I can’t say I’d recommend this book or even that I like it particularly. This should only be read by the serious gore horror fan. ( )
  DianaFord | Jan 5, 2016 |
This little book, I think around 240 pages, packs a huge wallop. The writing is mature and eloquent and it made a sufficient impression on me. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
Records of the 1994 autopsy of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer reveal that officials kept Dahmer's body shackled at the feet during the entire procedure, "such was the fear of this man," according to pathologist Robert Huntington.
Milwaukee Journal–AP, March 17, 1995
To my mother, Connie Burton Brite, who gave me all the guts I would ever need.
Sometimes a man grows tired of carrying everything the world heaps upon his head.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684836270, Paperback)

You've probably heard that this love story about two cannibalistic serial killers (loosely modeled after Dennis Nilsen and Jeffrey Dahmer) is over the top. You've been warned about the lovingly meticulous descriptions of murder and necrophilia. But the novel also features a keen look at the AIDS plague, in a setting almost worth dying for: Brite's doomed aesthetes dance in a sweet, heady New Orleans of milky coffee and beignets, alligators, Billy Holiday tunes, scented candles, pirate radio, swamp French, andouille sausage and one bar for every 175 people. And the structure is the tightest of Brite's books so far.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

The adventures of an English killer who has sex with corpses and eats them. After escaping from jail he kills an American tourist, takes his identity and flees to the U.S. He teams up with a local necrophile and together they feast on a Vietnamese teenager.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,782,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible