Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

Exquisite Corpse (1996)

by Poppy Z. Brite

English (32)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
This little book, I think around 240 pages, packs a huge wallop. The writing is mature and eloquent and it made a sufficient impression on me. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
A recommend book for mature readers interested in reading a deviant macabre book that contains: serial killers, murder, m/m eroticism, drug use, HIV, necrophilia and cannibalism.

Exquisite Corpse is a book with intriguing characters that intertwine in a disturbing yet engaging plot. The prose and descriptions are detailed and sensuous. This is further capitalized on by the story being told from four different points of view. Allowing the reader to become intimately familiar with the minds of two serial killers and their victims. This may prove to be an uncomfortable experience for many readers and I would not suggest this book to those easily offended or squeamish. ( )
  eloquent_codex | Apr 14, 2014 |
Gruesome! Horrifying! I couldn't put it down! Although I had read the description and recommendation on the back cover of this book, I never expected it to be so scary and riveting. I started reading it at 11 p.m. before I was to go to sleep and finished sometime around the time I was to get up for the day! I was absolutely mesmerized by the description and plot. Perhaps the plot is a bit too weak, but I think the storytelling around the interactions of the characters is extremely well done. I agree with an earlier reviewer: if you know what the subject matter is about, then don't be shocked by this novel's blunt horror and phantasma. ( )
  Hushasha40 | Mar 24, 2014 |
There's something disturbingly delighting about this book, not because it is the most well-written attempt, or because the characters are entirely original; but because it's unapologetic in the brazen attempt to mix splatter and the gritty side of human nature.
You can't really go into it expecting a happy ending, or even a happy progression through the trials the characters suffer; and there is a huge amount of suffering involved. But the intensity of the character motivations are the best part of the book; a glimpse into what makes a mind twisted and where desperation comes from in more than one facet.
The desperation in different masks from each character is extremely well done and there is some obvious effort to take away the flat shock value to their acts by showing the internal logic, as outside of the norm as it is in most of the players in the storyline, to their deeds.
The ending caught me, the imagery is rather disturbing but seemed so fitting and grotesquely alluring. ( )
  zombiepuppy | Mar 4, 2014 |
Definitely NOT for children or anyone with a weak constitution or any kind of gag reflex.

Exquisite Corpse is, at its base, a story about someone looking for a soul mate. Someone that is alone in the world and sees the people around him, but has no real connection to them in any emotional capacity. Oh, and he's like Jeffrey Dahmar.

This is basically Dahmar (or a character startlingly like him!) somehow escaping from prison and going on the lam. He kills a bunch of people on the way, and somehow manages to find his way to the French Quarter in New Orleans (where the vampires and ghouls live, because that's where I would live if I was a vampire or ghoul. Though honestly, I'd probably move to Alabama. Or Amsterdam.)

He meets a man that shares his morbid interests and together they get together to have sex amongst the rotting corpses and plot to kill a somewhat wide-eyed street kid that was probably the most interesting character in the whole book (a male Vietnamese prostitute? Hell yeah.) From there, things get hinky.

All that said, I gave this book 4 stars because it was morbid and fascinating and sucked me into reading the whole thing. Not Brite's best, but still a creepy "What-if" story. ( )
  HarperKingsley | Nov 13, 2013 |
Records of the 1994 autopsy of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer reveal that officials kept Dahmer's body shackled at the feet during the entire procedure, "such was the fear of this man," according to pathologist Robert Huntington.
Milwaukee Journal–AP, March 17, 1995
To my mother, Connie Burton Brite, who gave me all the guts I would ever need.
Sometimes a man grows tired of carrying everything the world heaps upon his head.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684836270, Paperback)

You've probably heard that this love story about two cannibalistic serial killers (loosely modeled after Dennis Nilsen and Jeffrey Dahmer) is over the top. You've been warned about the lovingly meticulous descriptions of murder and necrophilia. But the novel also features a keen look at the AIDS plague, in a setting almost worth dying for: Brite's doomed aesthetes dance in a sweet, heady New Orleans of milky coffee and beignets, alligators, Billy Holiday tunes, scented candles, pirate radio, swamp French, andouille sausage and one bar for every 175 people. And the structure is the tightest of Brite's books so far.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:18 -0400)

The adventures of an English killer who has sex with corpses and eats them. After escaping from jail he kills an American tourist, takes his identity and flees to the U.S. He teams up with a local necrophile and together they feast on a Vietnamese teenager.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible