Forward the Foundation by Isaac Asimov
3,655281,443 (3.76)1 / 34

English (25)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (28)
stunning testament to his creative genius. Forward The Foundation is a the saga's dramatic climax — the story Asimov fans have been waiting for. An exciting tale of danger, intrigue, and suspense, Forward The Foundation brings to vivid life Asimov's best loved characters: hero Hari Seldon, who struggles to perfect his revolutionary theory of psychohistory to ensure the survival of humanity; Cleon II, the vain and crafty emperor of the Galactic Empire,... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
This the beginning of the Why-Did-Asimov-Bother series. Don't get me wrong, I like this book as a book. As part of the series, it's way too many pages of not a damn thing. So much of the book is formulaic and even the prose seems like Asimov just lifted it from some of his other books. It was careless and poorly written, but useful in that there are a few pages that give some insight on psychohistory. I suppose Asimov wanted to give us more motivations for Seldon's push on his science, but I may fall on the side who really doesn't care. ( )
  fabooj | Feb 3, 2015 |
Although chronologically one of the middle books in Asimov's Foundation series, this was the final book to be completed by Asimove before his own death in the early 1990s. It charts the development of psychohistory from the merest fumblings that Seldon had at the end of Prelude to Foundation to a ppoint where the Psychohistory Foundation was able to send out the Encyclopedists that were to become the nucleus of the new empire.

This was a bit of a mix; as always Asimov is great when developing the grand sweep of history but some of the detailed plot items do depand rather too much on deus ex machina solutions almost as if he had to force the Seldon of this story back onto the track of the Seldon of the original Foundation trilogy. ( )
  JohnFair | Jun 13, 2014 |
Ah, well. The end of an age for me.

I've been listening to the Foundation audio books for the past 7 months - consistently but not exhaustively. Now that they're finished - for I conclude that this is the last of the Foundation novels - I feel a little empty and wispy.

Okay, the review.
In comparison to the other Foundation novels, the plot here was a bit transparent. I found myself anticipating turns and twists, which is altogether disappointing for an Asimov fan. The writing is well done and, stylistically, more emotionally nuanced. Supposing that Asimov wrote this biographical account of Harry Seldon in the twilight years of his own career as a 'father figure' of sorts, it's easy to understand the origin of this style.

I'm satisfied with the way I read this series: starting with the original three Foundation novels. The myth of Harry Seldon is almost better kept so, a mystery. ( )
  konrad.katie | Apr 24, 2014 |
Having read all the other foundation books first, reading this prequel was highly enjoyable. We finally discover how Hari Seldon created psychohistory. How he encountered and dealt with each titanic obstacle to create the greatest magnum opus. Thanks to the tenacity and insight of one man, the interregnum will last 'only' one thousand years, instead of thirty.

Finally a lot is revealed but I cannot help to found wanting to know more! There are many references to Hari's earlier life when he had to 'flee' all over Trantor and where he met Danneel and Dors, yet none of them actually tell the story... ( )
1 vote IAmAndyPieters | Nov 3, 2013 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Larkin, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montanari, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all my loyal readers
Headnote:
DEMERZEL, ETO - … While there is no question that Eto Demerzel was the real power in the government during much of the reign of Cleon I, historians are divided as to the nature of his rule.
Text:
'I tell you again, Hari,' said Yugo Amaryl, ' that your friend Demerzel is in deep trouble.'

Hari Seldon plots
psychohistory while plots
threaten its future.
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553565079, Mass Market Paperback)

A stunning testament to his creative genius. Forward The Foundation is a the saga's dramatic climax -- the story Asimov fans have been waiting for. An exciting tale of danger, intrigue, and suspense, Forward The Foundation brings to vivid life Asimov's best loved characters: hero Hari Seldon, who struggles to perfect his revolutionary theory of psychohistory to ensure the survival of humanity; Cleon II, the vain and crafty emperor of the Galactic Empire,

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:45 -0400)

In this stunning finale to one of the greatest science fiction adventures of all time, Asimov looks back to the development of one of science fiction's most popular creations: the science of Psychohistory, which predicts the actions of society.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,726,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible