My Little Blue Dress by Bruno Maddox

My Little Blue Dress (2001)

by Bruno Maddox

Maybe I gave up too soon, but this was terrible. It didn't make any sense. I think it was supposed to be funny, but I didn't get it. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
I can't recommend this more.

"From the first page, there is something ever so slightly strange about this memoir. The recollections of a girl growing up in rural England appear to be written by someone who knows nothing about rural England. Or, for that matter, being a girl."
  isabelx | Mar 19, 2011 |
It begins as if Lark Rise was written by Georgia Nicolson or exactly as if an ad man was trying to describe rural life in 1900’s Britain. That is to say not very accurately. Not everything is as it seems, the insane quirky rambling seems to get more tired and more drunk as the story goes on. Less plausible too.

Turns out there is a very good reason for that. It’s an excellent send up of the memoir market, and ‘society’ society. All wrapped up in a bizarre, very funny package. ( )
  Staramber | Aug 6, 2009 |
Just couldn't interest myself in this at all. I picked it up off a friend's shelf because it looked good, but when I tried to read it I was very bored. There are lots of good reviews on the back of the book, but I could find nothing to recommend it. Perhaps it appeals to other senses of humour than mine. I found it boring, imbecilic and entirely nonsensical. Sorry! ( )
  lydiasbooks | May 12, 2009 |
My Little Blue Dress begins in rural England at the beginning of the 20th century. It is initially the memoirs of a female centenarian born in 1900, but after just a few pages into the book, it becomes clear that there is something odd going on. All the memories are too idyllic and the main character speaks like someone from the late 20th century. Our heroine is proposed for the Queen of May in her local town, falls in love with a young man who is sent to fight in the trenches of WWI (and later becomes a war poet!) and then moves to gay Paris in the 1920s, finally becoming a nanny in England prior to the breakout of WWII.

After racing through the first 40 years of her life, the novel begins to turn to it's other path, where we find our heroine living in decrepitude in modern New York, where she is cared for by a young man called Bruno Maddox (clever eh?). Bruno is a struggling writer/novelist caught up in a funk of his own making.

Slowly, this satirical memoir starts to pose some riddles. Who is really writing this memoir? All the oddness and incongruities from earlier sections start to make some sense in this new context.

This is an undoubtedly clever novel. I just wonder if it is too clever but it does try to push the boundaries of what constitutes a novel. Ultimately though, I wasn't enamoured. ( )
  dudara | Mar 27, 2009 |
Like a lot of little girls back then in that part of the world I viewed the future with a certain lack of enthusiasm, though for a different set of reasons than the rest of them.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142000485, Paperback)

There's a reason this memoir of a 100-year-old woman's sun-soaked rural childhood is not at all what it seems. In Bruno Maddox's warmhearted comic novel it is soon revealed why a young man who knows very little about history and even less about being a woman attempts to improvise an old woman's autobiography in a single frantic night, and why he fails. A love story, a murder mystery, an acclaimed satire, My Little Blue Dress is a hugely entertaining and hilariously audacious fiction debut, "a winsome and vastly entertaining novel" (The New York Times Book Review) by a marvelous new literary talent.

"In his first novel, Maddox concocts a hilariously off-the-wall satire of the memoir. . . . Brilliantly funny . . . Maddox's writing is purposely uppity, but the kitschy, honest overtones communicate a very witty take on love and life." (Publishers Weekly)

"Hilarious . . . fun, full-throttle stuff." (Entertainment Weekly)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:46 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,069,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible