Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

Dandelion Wine

by Ray Bradbury

Series: Green Town (1)

5,7701481,109 (4.06)1 / 455
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (infiniteletters)
    Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury (section241)
    My Ántonia by Willa Cather (allenmichie)
    The Summer Book by Tove Jansson (Jannes)
    Jannes: Interconnected stories abour childhood and endless summers. Bradbury is more fantastical, while Jansson leans more to the realistic and understated, but both books runs over with wonderful and lyrical prose, and both captures a sense of childhood and summer in a way that is very rare.… (more)
    Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor (allenmichie)
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee (Michael.Rimmer)
    Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences by Barbara Holland (bertilak)

English (142)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (148)
The first 50-or-so pages of this book are pretty hard to get through when you're reading it for the first time. The almost stream-of-consciousness narration can be a little odd and jarring, especially if you don't know what to expect.
But once you've gotten used to the flow, this is simply a beautiful, wondrous book. It's a journey of discovery, seen mostly through the eyes of the very young or the very old, and has incredible depth and insight, as well as beautiful prose that's a joy to read.

A little thing that I found interesting:

It's rare for two characters in a book to have the same first name, unless it's necessary for the plot. Bradbury names no less than three characters Helen in this book. Now I know little about Bradbury outside of his books, but I'm guessing the name had some kind of significance to him?

Either that or Helen is his go-to answer when he has to think of a name. In our house it's Bob. Everything and everyone is called Bob, lol. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Feb 23, 2019 |
Great book, but it was a slow read. Some stories have really touched me.However, I found some of Bradbury's effervescent descriptions to be a bit over the top. ( )
  Firewild | Jan 3, 2019 |
Review to come after our chaos-ridden move dies down a bit.

Some notes:
1. I think I fell back in love with Bradbury along the way.
2. It’s weird reading this a few weeks before Christmas. However, it was a beneficial weird. I'd gone from 60 to 0 in holiday spirit thanks to recent events. Stress-smothered and more angsty than a tree topper with pine needles up their butt, Christmas and I weren’t getting along. Plopping myself down in a field of newly risen dandelion heads in Bradbury’s Green Town just punched the right ticket at just the right time. Or maybe my better-ish mood is the result of breaking into the dandelion wine. Shhh.
  lamotamant | Nov 21, 2018 |
Ray Bradbury's writing style and command of the English language is incredible.

Dandelion Wine feels like a response to Anne of Green Gables, where we follow children as they live their fullest lives and learn what it is to live, breathe, and explode into the universe in a shower of colorful sparks. I loved the lazy summer feel to the whole book, as though it should be served up with lemonade and blueberry cake.

In Dandelion Wine, Bradbury explores the themes of life, death, and what it means to be alive. Through a series of segments shared over the course of a summer by the citizens of Green Town and conducted but brothers Douglas and Tom Spaulding, the little Illinois town comes to life. It makes you think, and it makes you want to remember the things that made you feel like you were on the top of the world. Dandelion Wine makes summer feel eternal.

I absolutely adored this book. I was a little hesitant going in, as Something Wicked This Way Comes leaves big shoes to fill, but I needn't have worried. This is just as gripping and magical an adventure as its sequel. ( )
  Morteana | Aug 3, 2018 |
Bradbury brings childhood and its immortality of summer to vivid memory. Regardless of when you were young, this book will fill you with bittersweet nostalgia for when every day was an eternity, before aging brought the rapid spinning of all alike and transitory days. ( )
  dasam | Jun 21, 2018 |

Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sewell, AmosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Walter I. Bradbury
neither uncle nor cousin but most decidedly editor and friend.
It was a quiet morning, the town covered over with darkness and at ease in bed.
"Gardening is the handiest excuse for being a philosopher. Nobody guesses, nobody accuses, nobody knows, but there you are, Plato in the peonies....Dig in the earth, delve in the soul. Spring those mower blades and walk in the spray of the Fountain of Youth."
"Dawn, then, was a time where things changed element for element. Air ran like hot spring water howhere, with no sound. The lake was a quantity of steam very still and deep over valleys of fish and sand held baking under its serene vaports. Tar was poured licorise in the streets...."
Douglas's mouth was slightly open and from his lips and from the thin vents of his nostrils, gently there rose a scent of cool night and cool water and cool white snow and cool green moss, and cool moonlight on silver pebbles lying at the bottom of a quiet river and cool clear water at the bottom of a small white stone well.
.It was like holding their heads down for a brief moment to the purse of an apple-scented fountain flowing cool up into the air and washing their faces....They could not move for a long time."

Some favorite passages:  Moved to quotes
    -------------------------------------

The summer of '28 was a vintage season for growing boy. A summer of green apple trees, mowed lawns, and new sneakes.
Of half-burnt firecrackers, of gathering dandelions, of Grandma's belly-busting dinner.

It was a summer in the life of a twelve-year-old boy named Douglas Spaulding - remembered forever by the incomprabel

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553277537, Mass Market Paperback)

World-renowned fantasist Ray Bradbury has on several occasions stepped outside the arenas of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. An unabashed romantic, his first novel in 1957 was basically a love letter to his childhood. (For those who want to undertake an even more evocative look at the dark side of youth, five years later the author would write the chilling classic Something Wicked This Way Comes.)

Dandelion Wine takes us into the summer of 1928, and to all the wondrous and magical events in the life of a 12-year-old Midwestern boy named Douglas Spaulding. This tender, openly affectionate story of a young man's voyage of discovery is certainly more mainstream than exotic. No walking dead or spaceships to Mars here. Yet those who wish to experience the unique magic of early Bradbury as a prose stylist should find Dandelion Wine most refreshing. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

In a small town in 1928, a twelve-year-old boy savors the magic of childhood and the wonders of summer.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible