DANDELION WINE by RAY BRADBURY

DANDELION WINE (edition 1964)

by RAY BRADBURY

4,6261111,030 (4.07)1 / 341
Member:wtoomey
Title:DANDELION WINE
Authors:RAY BRADBURY
Info:Bantam Pathfinder (1964), Unknown Binding
Rating:*****
Tags:Science Fiction, childhood, coming of age, short stories, fantasy, summer

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (infiniteletters)
    Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury (section241)
    The Summer Book by Tove Jansson (Jannes)
    Jannes: Interconnected stories abour childhood and endless summers. Bradbury is more fantastical, while Jansson leans more to the realistic and understated, but both books runs over with wonderful and lyrical prose, and both captures a sense of childhood and summer in a way that is very rare.… (more)
    Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor (allenmichie)
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee (Michael.Rimmer)
    My Antonia by Willa Cather (allenmichie)
    Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences by Barbara Holland (bertilak)

English (106)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (110)
A great, vast universe packed into so few pages should not be possible, but this does is with room to spare. This wasn't simply a story about some characters, but a journey with eccentric, funny, sad, cheerful people. Green Town quite happily leaped off the page and into my imagination along with its inhabitants. I listened in wonder to Colonel Freeleigh's stories, shared in Lavinia's fear, and laughed along with Elmira's silly notions. I was right there with Douglas and the rest when they rode the tram for the last time, and said goodbye to Great-Grandma and the summer of 1928.
When I finished, it felt like saying farewell to old friends whom I would never see again, a very bittersweet feeling, but not true, of course, for I can visit them all again the next time I reread.
In short, a very wonderful, beautiful little book. ( )
  DarkDagon | Sep 17, 2014 |
I asked my Facebook friends to recommend a book for me to read and the book below was one of their recommendations.

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury was a decent book to read. It was a slower read for me, taking a week, for a book of just over 300 pages.

Dandelion Wine is the story of the summer that Douglas, a young boy living in Illinois in 1928, experiences a "Eureka" moment that he is alive and that life is to be relished. However, as the summer wears on, he is also confronted with his own mortality as several members of the community die of old age. He is also witness to the discovery of the body of a women who was murdered. He struggles to reconcile his own mortality to the point of falling into a deep fever but is eventually led out by the wise words of the local "junk" man.

I can see how this book could be enjoyed greatly by people who grew up in a smallish town (20000 people) especially in a mid-western or southern setting. Personally, I had very little in common with Douglas. The town I grew up in was not particularly large (maybe 40k) but my extended family lived four hours away and I played sports constantly. Douglas wanders the town freely and, as a somewhat autobiographical rendering of the author, thinks deeply and in very flowing poetic language that I imagine is common to many authors. While I did my share of deep thinking, I also spent many hours playing sports and enjoyed Math and Science and am a little more into precision and efficiency of language than Douglas.

In the end, there were some good thoughts to be taken from the book but I personally did not connect that strongly with the book. I'm glad to have read the book but it is unlikely to go on the re-read pile for me. If you identify with Douglas and the town he grew up in I would imagine that you would greatly enjoy the trip through Douglas' summer. ( )
  mcroushorn | Aug 22, 2014 |
Escape to the summer of 1928, Green Town, Illinois through the experiences of youth in those magical moments where reality and something more rushes in transforming each moment into where what is real and what isn't converge. Dandelion Wine is the metaphor for packing all the joys of summer into one bottle. Ray Bradbury goes Lake Wobegon. wonderful! read and remember your own magical childhood moments of simple routine mixed with joy and spontaneity. ( )
  revslick | Jul 12, 2014 |
At first it was just random episodes and eventually I started to see the connections but I never warmed up to it. I wanted it to be something different than it was. Bound for Bookcrossing.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |

Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sewell, AmosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Walter I. Bradbury
neither uncle nor cousin but most decidedly editor and friend.
It was a quiet morning, the town covered over with darkness and at ease in bed.
"Gardening is the handiest excuse for being a philosopher. Nobody guesses, nobody accuses, nobody knows, but there you are, Plato in the peonies....Dig in the earth, delve in the soul. Spring those mower blades and walk in the spray of the Fountain of Youth."
"Dawn, then, was a time where things changed element for element. Air ran like hot spring water howhere, with no sound. The lake was a quantity of steam very still and deep over valleys of fish and sand held baking under its serene vaports. Tar was poured licorise in the streets...."
Douglas's mouth was slightly open and from his lips and from the thin vents of his nostrils, gently there rose a scent of cool night and cool water and cool white snow and cool green moss, and cool moonlight on silver pebbles lying at the bottom of a quiet river and cool clear water at the bottom of a small white stone well.
.It was like holding their heads down for a brief moment to the purse of an apple-scented fountain flowing cool up into the air and washing their faces....They could not move for a long time."

Some favorite passages:  Moved to quotes
    -------------------------------------

The summer of '28 was a vintage season for growing boy. A summer of green apple trees, mowed lawns, and new sneakes.
Of half-burnt firecrackers, of gathering dandelions, of Grandma's belly-busting dinner.

It was a summer in the life of a twelve-year-old boy named Douglas Spaulding - remembered forever by the incomprabel

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553277537, Mass Market Paperback)

World-renowned fantasist Ray Bradbury has on several occasions stepped outside the arenas of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. An unabashed romantic, his first novel in 1957 was basically a love letter to his childhood. (For those who want to undertake an even more evocative look at the dark side of youth, five years later the author would write the chilling classic Something Wicked This Way Comes.)

Dandelion Wine takes us into the summer of 1928, and to all the wondrous and magical events in the life of a 12-year-old Midwestern boy named Douglas Spaulding. This tender, openly affectionate story of a young man's voyage of discovery is certainly more mainstream than exotic. No walking dead or spaceships to Mars here. Yet those who wish to experience the unique magic of early Bradbury as a prose stylist should find Dandelion Wine most refreshing. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:47 -0400)

In a small town in 1928, a twelve-year-old boy savors the magic of childhood and the wonders of summer.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible