No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (infiniteletters)
    Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury (section241)
    My Antonia by Willa Cather (allenmichie)
    The Summer Book by Tove Jansson (Jannes)
    Jannes: Interconnected stories abour childhood and endless summers. Bradbury is more fantastical, while Jansson leans more to the realistic and understated, but both books runs over with wonderful and lyrical prose, and both captures a sense of childhood and summer in a way that is very rare.… (more)
    Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor (allenmichie)
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (souloftherose)
    Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee (Michael.Rimmer)
    Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences by Barbara Holland (bertilak)

English (122)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (127)
The essence of summer and a nostalgic look back into childhood captured through vignettes of small town life in 1928. It's a book that's filled with feeling, wisdom, and simply magical writing. There's a touch of Bradbury's [b: Something Wicked This Way Comes |248596|Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2)|Ray Bradbury|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1409596011s/248596.jpg|1183550] in it, though, that adds a surreal edginess to these idyllic reminicences. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Read several times as a child. I don't think I'd like it so much now, though. I'll re-read Martian Chronicles and then see how many of Bradbury's classics I want to re-visit.

ETA - I did reread [b:The Martian Chronicles|76778|The Martian Chronicles|Ray Bradbury|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320522684s/76778.jpg|4636013] and did not much like it. It had some interesting ideas and some lovely language, but it was sexist and had bad astronomy and very questionable sociology. So... since this doesn't stand as a SF book, but as literature, it's probably something I'd still rate highly. However... I still haven't decided whether I want to reread it or not! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
How anyone could give this book a bad review is BEYOND ME but; I get it. Not everyone wants to drown in nostalgia and beautiful prose.... me on the other hand? I LIVE for this sort of thing. I jump at the chance to dive back into my youthful days, before the woes of excessive bills and being chained to my office cubicle and becoming an ordinary 9-5er; devoid of any dreams, where all of my days blend into one long murmer of relentless monotony.
If I could bottle the scent of summer, it would be dandelion wine.
There are so many hidden gems in this book that you can apply towards your life here.
This was a few beautiful short stories, (with such amazing memorable characters) that all blended into one delightful flowing story of 2 brothers experiencing a summer.

I will never forget their scatterbrained grandmother who was a kitchen wizard and produced magic at every meal, their grandfather who knew just how to appreciate the small little pleasures in life, the imagination of a child who will never allow me to view a pair of sneakers the same again, all of it combined gave me one collective nostalgic sigh.

The Happiness Machine is now one of my favorite gems of all times. The idea of a happiness machine is very symbolic to the activity of reading fiction.
This book DID in fact gave me so much happiness, but eventually I have to get back to my pile of papers......

-sigh-

I will always miss you Bradbury! THANK YOU once again. ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
Magical. If the word 'magical' didn't exist, we would have to invent it in order to properly describe Ray Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine". The premise is absurdly simple: one summer in a small Midwestern town during the late 1920's. On the surface it doesn't look like a lot to hang a novel on, but Bradbury puts so much heart, soul and, yes, love into his words that I defy anyone to call it an empty book. Bradbury has always written superbly for children, and slipping his characters into his own nostalgic childhood succeeds on virtually every level.

Most of the chapters are self-contained little story segments. In fact, I had come across portions of this book in short story collections, and had no idea that they were smaller parts of a larger work. Yet "Dandelion Wine" is much more than just a collection of stories. The children and adults alike grow and change as the summer days burn and then fade. Just like a real season, some events are disconnected from the rest and can involve seldom seen people, while other proceedings are intrinsically linked to their peers.

The book itself is fairly difficult to sum up; every definition that I've tried coming up with has omitted several major elements. Of course, any summary that tried to include everything would be far too long and would contain none of the magic of the text. Children discover some fundamental and universal truths for the first time.

Adults deal with their own fears and their own nightmares. And, of course, there are the usual wonderful collection of Bradbury eccentrics and strangers. Children are filled with awe and recognizably childlike without being annoying or unrealistic. There really are too many great little moments in this book to go into huge amounts of detail. To mention a handful of great things is to omit the other wonderful moments. Just like most perfect summers, the book isn't great because of one or two gigantic epics, but because of small quiet little days.

Beautiful little book. 4 stars. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Ray Bradbury is a master storyteller and I thoroughly enjoy his works. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goodfellow;, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sewell, AmosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Walter I. Bradbury
neither uncle nor cousin but most decidedly editor and friend.
It was a quiet morning, the town covered over with darkness and at ease in bed.
"Gardening is the handiest excuse for being a philosopher. Nobody guesses, nobody accuses, nobody knows, but there you are, Plato in the peonies....Dig in the earth, delve in the soul. Spring those mower blades and walk in the spray of the Fountain of Youth."
"Dawn, then, was a time where things changed element for element. Air ran like hot spring water howhere, with no sound. The lake was a quantity of steam very still and deep over valleys of fish and sand held baking under its serene vaports. Tar was poured licorise in the streets...."
Douglas's mouth was slightly open and from his lips and from the thin vents of his nostrils, gently there rose a scent of cool night and cool water and cool white snow and cool green moss, and cool moonlight on silver pebbles lying at the bottom of a quiet river and cool clear water at the bottom of a small white stone well.
.It was like holding their heads down for a brief moment to the purse of an apple-scented fountain flowing cool up into the air and washing their faces....They could not move for a long time."

Some favorite passages:  Moved to quotes
    -------------------------------------

The summer of '28 was a vintage season for growing boy. A summer of green apple trees, mowed lawns, and new sneakes.
Of half-burnt firecrackers, of gathering dandelions, of Grandma's belly-busting dinner.

It was a summer in the life of a twelve-year-old boy named Douglas Spaulding - remembered forever by the incomprabel

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553277537, Mass Market Paperback)

World-renowned fantasist Ray Bradbury has on several occasions stepped outside the arenas of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. An unabashed romantic, his first novel in 1957 was basically a love letter to his childhood. (For those who want to undertake an even more evocative look at the dark side of youth, five years later the author would write the chilling classic Something Wicked This Way Comes.)

Dandelion Wine takes us into the summer of 1928, and to all the wondrous and magical events in the life of a 12-year-old Midwestern boy named Douglas Spaulding. This tender, openly affectionate story of a young man's voyage of discovery is certainly more mainstream than exotic. No walking dead or spaceships to Mars here. Yet those who wish to experience the unique magic of early Bradbury as a prose stylist should find Dandelion Wine most refreshing. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

In a small town in 1928, a twelve-year-old boy savors the magic of childhood and the wonders of summer.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,482,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible