Pebble in the sky by Isaac Asimov
    The Currents of Space by Isaac Asimov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More typical Asimov themes: Prejudice, discrimination, amnesia, hot chicks.
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov (br77rino)
    br77rino: Pebble in the Sky is the first book Asimov wrote regarding the Galactic Empire, a subject he used in his later masterpiece trilogy, Foundation.

English (30)  French (3)  Norwegian (1)  Slovak (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (36)
I have to be completely honest about how this particular book came to my notice. I was watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and I got to an episode about a planet where the inhabitants were not allowed to live past a certain age due to resource control (the old people were a drag on the society). I looked at the trivia for this episode (Season 4, Episode 22 "Half a Life" if you're curious) and discovered that the story was inspired by Isaac Asimov's Pebble in the Sky. Naturally, I needed to read this book. Some of you might recall that I reviewed I, Robot two years ago and loved it. I'm sad it's taken me this long to get to reading another book by him honestly... Now without further ado, the review! I LOVED IT, YA'LL. This book has it all: time travel, space-y drama, and RADIOACTIVITY. Seriously, radioactivity is a major plot device. The time period which this book was written definitely plays a role in the tenor of this book (I'm looking at you, atomic bomb). Asimov blends reality with scientific innovation to create a world where Earth is but one of thousands of planets which comprise the Galactic Empire. (Actually I fell into a trap here because it turns out that Pebble in the Sky is a part of Asimov's Galactic Empire series so...) There's Joseph Schwartz who finds himself taking a giant leap into the future. (This is only funny once you've read the book.) Bel Arvardan is your typical Galactic citizen and archaeologist who wants to uncover the mystery of humanity's beginning...on Earth of all places. Who would have thought that a backwards Earthman like Dr. Shekt could invent a device that could help to thwart a revolt and simultaneously give one man unimaginable powers? In a world where the Earth is seen as 'other' and the Earthman is treated as inferior there is intrigue, burgeoning love, and institutionalized racism. The reader follows multiple storylines that weave together to form a narrative that is compelling, thought provoking, and imaginative. If you haven't ready any of Isaac Asimov's writing and you want to read truly excellent sci-fi then you should start here. 10/10 highly recommend ( )
  AliceaP | Apr 8, 2016 |
Non certo fra i migliori elaborati di Asimov, diciamo che è veramente sempliciotto.. poco o per nulla sviluppati i personaggi che invece meriterebbero ben altro trattamento! Sembra di leggere un copione da film lasciando agli attori l'ispessimento dei personaggi, nel nostro caso ala nostra fantasia. ( )
  Edoxide | Apr 6, 2016 |
More Agatha Christie preposterous plotting and galactic empires. It is a bad mix. The same overt anti-racism sentiments as in the previous book in the series (good effort). ( )
  themulhern | Mar 14, 2016 |
A great book from Asimov, my most loved science-fiction author! ( )
  Leticia.Toraci | Feb 10, 2016 |
A man is unwittingly propelled forward thousands of years into the future to a time when Man has settled many many other planets, and Earth has become a sneered-upon backwater world. Most scientists believe that human beings evolved independently on all these planets; pride keeps them from accepting the unpopular notion that they all originated on Earth. Like much of Asimov's science fiction, this is at once a concept-driven and a character-driven tale. It's a love story, a parable about prejudice, and a scientific flight of fancy all in one. Perhaps not his most memorable work, but definitely worth reading.

P.S. - Some sites list this as being part of the Empire or Foundation series or maybe both. I have read neither (okay, I've read the first Foundation novel, but it was ages ago) and I had no difficulty following the story. ( )
  melydia | Oct 23, 2015 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goligorsky, EduardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Insulander, Per WAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsson, Inge R. L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lippi, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two minutes before he disappeared forever from the face of the Earth he knew, Joseph Schwartz strolled along the pleasant streets of suburban Chicago quoting Browning to himself.
Not exactly... It had been *something* like a touch, but not anywhere on his body. It was in his mind...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765319128, Hardcover)

One moment Joseph Schwartz is a happily retired tailor in Chicago, 1949. The next he's a helpless stranger on Earth during the heyday of the first Galactic Empire.

Earth, as he soon learns, is a backwater, just a pebble in the sky, despised by all the other 200 million planets of the Empire because its people dare to claim it's the original home of man. And Earth is poor, with great areas of radioactivity ruining much of its soil--so poor that everyone is sentenced to death at the age of sixty.

Joseph Schwartz is sixty-two.

This is young Isaac Asimov's first novel, full of wonders and ideas, the book that launched the novels of the Galactic Empire, culminating in the Foundation series. This is Golden Age SF at its finest.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:33 -0400)

One moment Joseph Schwartz is a happily retired tailor in 1949 Chicago. The next he?s a helpless stranger on Earth during the heyday of the first Galactic Empire. Earth, he soon learns, is a backwater, just a pebble in the sky, despised by all the other 200 million planets of the Empire because its people dare to claim it?s the original home of man. And Earth is poor, with great areas of radioactivity ruining much of its soil?so poor that everyone is sentenced to death at the age of sixty. Joseph Schwartz is sixty-two. This is young Isaac Asimov?s first novel, full of wonders and ideas, the book that launched the novels of the Galactic Empire, culminating in the Foundation books and novels. It is also one of that select group of SF adventures that since the early 1950s has hooked generations of teenagers on reading science fiction. This is Golden Age SF at its finest.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible