Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

Black Dahlia (original 1987; edition 2011)

by James Ellroy

Title:Black Dahlia
Authors:James Ellroy
Info:Windmill (2011), Paperback, 384 pages

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (1987)

Recently added byprivate library, JustinDrown, mageerehab, LitaVore, ceciliachard, Kasthu, ramon4, seite, marinerlibrary

English (79)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (92)
In the noir history of Los Angeles there is the unsolved murder mystery of Elizabeth Short. Her mutilated body was found dumped in an empty lot on January 15, 1947. The crime created a sensation at that time, and to this day remains unsolved.

Noir author James Ellroy here creates a story concerning two policemen who are involved on the fringes of the police investigation of Elizabeth Short, dubbed The Black Dahlia by the press. This is an entertaining novel about the lives and loves of the two policemen, but Elizabeth Short has very little to do with the fiction here; she never appears as a character. ( )
  ramon4 | Oct 14, 2016 |
Cops Bleichert and Blanchard investigate the murder of a young woman called Black Dahlia in 1940s Los Angeles. They both also love the same woman, which complicates their friendship and the investigation.

This was a dark and complicated story that involved police brutality, police corruption, racism, and betrayal. It did capture well the feel and flavor of the times and the people of the story. But there was too much that happened at the end. Some things should've happened earlier in the story. I also didn't like the characters much. Overall, this was not my kind of story. ( )
  gaylebutz | Oct 5, 2016 |
This is a recently released graphic novel, and a really well-done one. I read it in one day, not wanting to put it down.

If you have read James Ellroy's novel, you will be familiar with the storyline, as this graphic novel is adapted from that novel. The Black Dahlia is narrated by a cop, who has his life turned upside down when he and his partner are brought in to help investigate the Black Dahlia murder.

Ellroy takes the true crime of the Black Dahlia, and puts his own spin on it. Where he takes it can sometimes go a bit off the rails, but he makes it work, and the graphic novel keeps that spirit. The artistry of the illustrations is really excellent, and makes you feel like you are right in the noir.

I would definitely recommend this graphic novel. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Sep 29, 2016 |
The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy is an intense, action-packed page turner. Even though the unsolved murder case from the 1940's has received a lot of coverage, Ellroy's book brings it to life with beautifully drawn characters. I gave it five stars.

I purchased this on sale & read it in one sitting. Bucky Bleichert & Lee Blanchard, ex-prize fighting boxers turned cops are now partners. They explore this grisly torture killing. It has far reaching consequences. It is a haunting story.

"I never knew her in life. She exists for me through others, in evidence of the ways her death drove them. Working backwards, seeking only facts, I reconstructed her as a sad little girl & a whore, at best a could-have-been--a tag that could also be applied to me."

The language was rough but true to the times. ( )
  carolyninjoy | Jun 5, 2016 |
Weird. That about sums this book up. The plot revolves around Ellroy's interpretation of the infamous Black Dahlia murder, but the book is really about one man's descent into madness. Ellroy gives an excellent description of Bucky's" mindset as Elizabeth Short slowly takes over his life. Each time you think the murderer has been revealed, nope, that was just a victim of police corruption and move on to the next suspect. The murder description and resolution was interesting, but Ellroy's best writing revolved around the character's descent and reascent (sort of). The writing was good, but weird." ( )
1 vote jguidry | May 31, 2016 |

James Ellroyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lorenzin, LucianoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutarelli, LourençoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now I fold you down, my drunkard, my navigator, My first lost keeper, to love or look at later.
- Anne Sexton
To Geneva Hilliker Ellroy 1915-1958
Twenty-nine years later, this valediction in blood
I never knew her in life.
This has been going on since Mae West was a virgin.

On January 15, 1947, the torture-ravished body of a beautiful young woman is found in a Los Angeles vacant lot. The victim makes headlines as the Black Dahlia-and so begins the greatest manhunt in California history.Caught up in the investigation are Bucky Bleichert and Lee Blanchard: Warrants Squad cops, friends, and rivals in love with the same woman. But both are obsessed with the Dahlia-driven by dark needs to know everything about her past, to capture her killer, to possess the woman even in death. Their quest will take them on a hellish journey through the underbelly of postwar Hollywood, to the core of the dead girl's twisted life, past the extremes of their own psyches-into a region of total madness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:06 -0400)

The murder of a beautiful young woman in 1947 Los Angeles sparks an investigation in which Bucky Bleichert, Lee Blanchard, L.A.P.D. Warrants Squad cops, ex-boxers, friends, and adversaries become obsessed by the case.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,788,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible