Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

Black Dahlia (original 1987; edition 2011)

by James Ellroy

Member:theKillERJOnes
Title:Black Dahlia
Authors:James Ellroy
Info:Windmill (2011), Paperback, 384 pages

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (1987)

1001 (35) 1001 books (47) 20th century (44) American (43) American literature (40) Black Dahlia (20) California (28) crime (239) crime fiction (66) detective (53) ebook (19) fiction (373) hardboiled (33) historical fiction (38) Hollywood (34) LA (27) Los Angeles (102) movie (20) murder (80) mystery (245) noir (149) non-fiction (19) novel (64) police (23) read (45) thriller (47) to-read (98) true crime (76) unread (37) USA (40)

English (64)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (77)
Gritty, cynical, and brilliant. A true noir classic about dark obsessions and corruption. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 7, 2014 |
This is very loosely based on the murder of Betty Short aka the Black Dahlia and one policemans obsession with her. Set in LA after World War II

I found the style of writing hard going but I stuck with it and I am glad I did as I enjoyed this book. I warmed to the main character Dwight "Bucky" Bleichert and eventually he got closure on this case.

Well worth a read. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jun 24, 2014 |
Story about the murder of Elizabeth "Betty" Short back in January 1947. She has been tortured, murdered, cut in half and left in a vacant lot just waiting for someone to find her. Bucky Bleichert and Lee Blanchard set out to find out who murdered Betty who then becomes known as the Black Dahlia. Both Bleichert and Blanchard become obsessed with trying to solve her murder to the point that it begins to affect their mental and emotional well being. The story line takes us through the seedy day to day activities of the LAPD as these two police officers set out to piece together the Dahlia's last days and hours which lead up to her murder. Story line keeps your mind constantly wondering who and why would some set out to murder someone in this violent and brutal manner. ( )
  Hanneri | Jun 14, 2014 |
This is fictionalized look at the Black Dahlia murder. The author looks at the investigation and gives an answer as to who might have killed this young woman. The crime has never been solved but this is an interesting look at an investigation done in 1947. ( )
  Coltfan18 | May 29, 2014 |
I kinda knew the title of this book or heard the its name or part of it somewhere back along time ago so based on that and that alone I picked it up and began to read and I can tell you I was damn glad I did so. It's set in the late 40's and at the start I thought that that would be a problem all full of wise guys and all of them talking in that crazy yankee doodle dandy kinda way but no they didn't in fact the whole thing was a bit of a eye opener to read and I soon forgot about the years it was set in and was taken into a world of really dirty cops and black people being talked about as niggers like that's normal what's your problem and the same went for how they dealt with gay's & lesbians - but what I loved most about this story was firstly is ability to shock me by simple short descriptions of how brutal a murder and a murderer can be and then on top of all that there were all these twists and turns and as you get nearer and nearer to the end you think is solved and all the author has to do is tie up any loose ends just like most books but then... another twist pops up and it's one you thought you'd thought of but you never got it just quite right well not like the author did and he did it better and so you read on - and in the end you go out and buy another book from this guy. I hope this helps ( )
  nikon | Apr 15, 2014 |

James Ellroyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lorenzin, LucianoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now I fold you down, my drunkard, my navigator, My first lost keeper, to love or look at later.
- Anne Sexton
To Geneva Hilliker Ellroy 1915-1958
Mother:
Twenty-nine years later, this valediction in blood
I never knew her in life.
This has been going on since Mae West was a virgin.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

On January 15, 1947, the torture-ravished body of a beautiful young woman is found in a Los Angeles vacant lot. The victim makes headlines as the Black Dahlia-and so begins the greatest manhunt in California history.Caught up in the investigation are Bucky Bleichert and Lee Blanchard: Warrants Squad cops, friends, and rivals in love with the same woman. But both are obsessed with the Dahlia-driven by dark needs to know everything about her past, to capture her killer, to possess the woman even in death. Their quest will take them on a hellish journey through the underbelly of postwar Hollywood, to the core of the dead girl's twisted life, past the extremes of their own psyches-into a region of total madness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:25 -0400)

The murder of a beautiful young woman in 1947 Los Angeles sparks an investigation in which Bucky Bleichert, Lee Blanchard, L.A.P.D. Warrants Squad cops, ex-boxers, friends, and adversaries become obsessed by the case.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,214,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible