Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

Black Dahlia (original 1987; edition 2011)

by James Ellroy

Member:theKillERJOnes
Title:Black Dahlia
Authors:James Ellroy
Info:Windmill (2011), Paperback, 384 pages

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (1987)

English (66)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (79)
Couldn't get into this at all. ( )
  | Sep 15, 2014 | edit |
Pretty good. I liked the reader & the basic story. I think it went on too long, though. There sure were plenty of twists & turns. I really liked the way the case was worked, none of this instant stuff I see on the TV all the time. Lots of footwork & brute concentration.

The convoluted & hidden agendas of everyone involved was interesting & very real. There was a perfect character in the entire book, but all of them were interesting & understandable. Even when I was rooting for Bucky, I half expected him to cop out (yeah, pun) & when he did, that was OK. When he didn't, it was even better.

I had a few problems with the story, but only one was big enough to really get to me. Georgie's torturing just didn't ring true from the man that delivered it. He's a proven coward from the war to the present day when Lee & then Bucky bullies him. He's rich & has no problem with murder by proxy, so why didn't he have Georgie killed? Why & how would he be able to hold someone like Georgie down to torture him, someone that Bucky had trouble fighting? No, that didn't fit.

The other one was Bucky selling Lee's house, but I could slide past that since he just puts it on the market & leaves town. A long distance signature would work, if the real estate agent was paid to close his eyes.

All in all, it was enjoyable & I'm going on to the next one. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Gritty, cynical, and brilliant. A true noir classic about dark obsessions and corruption. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 7, 2014 |
This is very loosely based on the murder of Betty Short aka the Black Dahlia and one policemans obsession with her. Set in LA after World War II

I found the style of writing hard going but I stuck with it and I am glad I did as I enjoyed this book. I warmed to the main character Dwight "Bucky" Bleichert and eventually he got closure on this case.

Well worth a read. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jun 24, 2014 |
Story about the murder of Elizabeth "Betty" Short back in January 1947. She has been tortured, murdered, cut in half and left in a vacant lot just waiting for someone to find her. Bucky Bleichert and Lee Blanchard set out to find out who murdered Betty who then becomes known as the Black Dahlia. Both Bleichert and Blanchard become obsessed with trying to solve her murder to the point that it begins to affect their mental and emotional well being. The story line takes us through the seedy day to day activities of the LAPD as these two police officers set out to piece together the Dahlia's last days and hours which lead up to her murder. Story line keeps your mind constantly wondering who and why would some set out to murder someone in this violent and brutal manner. ( )
  Hanneri | Jun 14, 2014 |

James Ellroyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lorenzin, LucianoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now I fold you down, my drunkard, my navigator, My first lost keeper, to love or look at later.
- Anne Sexton
To Geneva Hilliker Ellroy 1915-1958
Mother:
Twenty-nine years later, this valediction in blood
I never knew her in life.
This has been going on since Mae West was a virgin.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

On January 15, 1947, the torture-ravished body of a beautiful young woman is found in a Los Angeles vacant lot. The victim makes headlines as the Black Dahlia-and so begins the greatest manhunt in California history.Caught up in the investigation are Bucky Bleichert and Lee Blanchard: Warrants Squad cops, friends, and rivals in love with the same woman. But both are obsessed with the Dahlia-driven by dark needs to know everything about her past, to capture her killer, to possess the woman even in death. Their quest will take them on a hellish journey through the underbelly of postwar Hollywood, to the core of the dead girl's twisted life, past the extremes of their own psyches-into a region of total madness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:25 -0400)

The murder of a beautiful young woman in 1947 Los Angeles sparks an investigation in which Bucky Bleichert, Lee Blanchard, L.A.P.D. Warrants Squad cops, ex-boxers, friends, and adversaries become obsessed by the case.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,738,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible