Betrayal in Death (In Death) by J.D. Robb

Betrayal in Death (In Death) (original 2004; edition 2001)

by J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts

Member:cameling
Title:Betrayal in Death (In Death)
Authors:J.D. Robb
Other authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Berkley (2001), Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:crime, fiction, futuristic

Betrayal in Death by J. D. Robb (2004)

This is the twelfth book in J. D. Robb's popular “In Death” series. It begins with Eve and her husband, the wealthy and handsome Roarke, hosting a party at one of Roarke's hotels. During the party, one of the hotel maids is found brutally murdered. The next day, a friend and colleague of Roarke's is found murdered too, and Eve begins to think an assassin is after her husband.

Soon the FBI is trying to take over her case, but the reader knows there is no way Eve will put Roarke's life in danger by not finding the killer herself. She soon discovers the assassin is Sly Yost, and he's a master of disguise. Finding him will be almost impossible. Adding to Eve's stress is the sudden appearance of Mick Connelly, an old friend from Roarke's shady past.

This was one of my favorite books in the series. The Sly Yost character was very well written, and the secondary characters, especially Peabody and McNab, are always interesting. Roarke and Eve have a great relationship and in this book we see a bit of Eve's softer side. Each book deepens the relationship between Roarke and Eve, which I think is one a fiction's great romances, and I'm not even a fan of romances. I'm a novice to the series, currently at 44 books, but I'm going to make it a priority next year to read many more. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Dec 14, 2016 |
I had given this book a B on my personal rating scale. It is always good to read another Eve and Roarke adventure...just like visiting with old friends again. This book was just as good as any of her other ones. Nothing to extraordinary but certainly not bad. When it appears that Roarke is a target for a hit-man Eve does everything in her power to protect him. Of course Roarke has other ideas...thinking that if it is him that is being targeted...Eve might just be next in line to get hurt. There is a little bit of a twist towards the end that was a little bit shocking. The mystery aspect of the book was fair but then I personally don't read these books for the mystery anyway. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
this one felt pretty low key, but it was very enjoyable anyway. 4.5/5 ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I love Dallas and Roarke. In this tale a maid is murdered at one of Roarke's hotels. Then an editor at one of his publishing houses is murdered. Their only link is Roarke. Eve figures Roarke is the target but he won't agree to her plan to keep him safe. An old friend from Ireland, believed to be dead, comes to visit Roarke.

I like the suspense and I like how Eve figures out what is going on as Roarke does the same. This time it is not who is the murderer but who is behind the murderer. Love this series! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jan 1, 2015 |
It think this was that this was the book that took me the most time to finish,but only because I was too busy to get to it. Once I had the time, I read the whole thing in a couple of hours.

Now to the review: again another sensational story and plot. I really like when the case gets jumbled with Roarke. McNab and Peabody had some great scenes together and what happened between them was a long time coming for me. Eve was a lot more sweet and she's beginning to see why Roarke has this insatiable need to care for her and doesn't like to see her suffer. Incredible.

msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carcasses bleed at the sight of the murderer. - Robert Burton
Honour is sometimes found among thieves. - Sir Walter Scott
A murder was taking place.

13# Eve Dallas Investigation In Death

New York Lieutenant Eve Dallas is up against a hit-man for the elite, whose next target may be her own husband, Roarke.

At the luxurious Roarke Palace Hotel, a maid walks into suite 4602 for the nightly turndown - and steps into her worst nightmare. A killer leaves her dead, strangled by a thin silver wire. He’s Sly Yost, a virtuoso of music and murder. A hit man for the elite. Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows him well. But in this twisted case, knowing the killer doesn’t help solve the crime. Because there’s someone else involved. Someone with a more personal motive. And Eve must face a terrifying possibility - that the real target may, in fact, be her husband Roarke…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425178579, Mass Market Paperback)

J.D. Robb fans are fanatical about New York City supercop Eve Dallas and her mysterious billionaire husband Roarke. Robb's futuristic (circa 2059) ...In Death series wages a two-front narrative war (the battle of good and evil and the battle of the sexes) and both author and readers come out winners.

When Darlene French, a maid at the Roarke Palace Hotel, is brutally beaten, raped, and strangled with a silver wire, Eve is at a loss to explain the apparently professional nature of the murder. Who would hire a hit man to kill such an ordinary woman? As she and her team of detectives (with a little grudgingly accepted help from Roarke, whose money, name, and talents can dig up a wealth of information) investigate the evidence, they find themselves in pursuit of Sylvester Yost, a vicious hired gun who's made millions in his bloody pursuit of career excellence. But it isn't until more victims appear that Eve realizes Yost's real target is Roarke himself. To discover the driving force behind the murderous campaign, Eve and Roarke will have to delve into their own pasts, which holds secrets and terrors for them both.

Robb is the nom de plume of romance writer Nora Roberts, and this series certainly delivers the same sexually charged tension and improbably gorgeous characters as Roberts's extremely popular romances. But even those readers, who generally try to steer clear of heaving bosoms and ripped bodices, will have little to fear and much to appreciate in Betrayal in Death. Eve and Roarke are impressive physical specimens, but they're also witty, gritty, and often antagonistic, irritably staking out their territories and reluctantly collaborating in the crimes that come their way (think Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd in Moonlighting, or Nick and Nora Charles on steroids and in a mood). Add in Robb's surprisingly light touch with humor, and the 13th installment in the series is a lucky find indeed. --Kelly Flynn

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:44 -0400)

Sly Yost, a virtuoso of music and murder is a hit man for the elite. Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows him well, because there's someone else involved, someone with a more personal motive. Eve must face a terrifying possibility - that the real target may, in fact, be her husband Roarke.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,196,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible