Born in Fire (Born in Trilogy, Book 1) by…

Born in Fire (Born in Trilogy, Book 1) (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Nora Roberts

Member:RobynBachar
Title:Born in Fire (Born in Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Jove (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***
Tags:romance

Born in Fire by Nora Roberts (1994)

Recently added byLitaVore, jomajime, RinHanase, Snowlady, Bettesbooks, mmoj, Rena37, private library, aeriellaa

English (22)  German (1)  All (23)
This is a re-read because it is fun reading. Nora Roberts knows how to pull you heart strings, connect with her characters, make you laugh and cry and all in the same book. Visit West Ireland and Dublin and a few other places on the other side of the world.
2017_5/71 ( )
  Bettesbooks | Mar 5, 2017 |
An abbreviated review since there are already a ton of great reviews out there.

After reading the first chapter of Born in Fire, I wiped my tears, gladly parted with an Audible credit for the audio version, and completely immersed myself into the story. I'm so glad I did! The narrator, Fiacre Douglas, brings Ireland to life, instilling a teasing humor into Maggie's personality. Had I read the book without the benefit of his lilting brogue softening the edge of her temper (and Rogan's for that matter), I'm not sure I would've liked her as much as I did. I couldn't help but laugh when Rogan tried to tell her what to do, only to have the opposite take place.

The romance aspect was fantastic and only part of this multi-layered story. We have a bitter, vengeful mother who doesn't give her two daughters an ounce of love or approval and daughters don't understand why she doesn't love them. They are more fortunate in their father, having found the love and confidence they need in his guidance, presence, and unfailing support. It's clear how much he loves and believes in them, only wanting their happiness.

You’re my bright star, Maggie, the way Brie’s my cool rose. I want you, the both of you, to follow where your dreams lead you. I want that more than I can say.

Maggie's gift for glass blowing and her artistic nature add that special something, putting this book well into my five star category. The detail and imagery leaps off the page during Maggie's dreaming phases. As a reader, I could easily envision what Maggie was thinking and doing, while at the same time understanding that her gift was like a calling...not a hobby, or a job. She's putting a piece of herself into each piece of glass she creates. When Rogan Sweeney arrives from Dublin, eager to make her a rich and famous glass artist by marketing her work to the public, he's in for an unusual first impression. Things get heated, literally. I loved it!

On a side note, it's nice to know I can pick up a Nora Roberts book and count on detailed research...not that I would know if her facts are correct as far as glass blowing, but I'm 99.9% sure they are spot on. It makes me want to get out there and take that class I've been curious about for ages. You know the one where everyone goes home with a glass lump for a paperweight?

Needless to say, I'll be moving on to the next book! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Apr 20, 2016 |
It feels as if you're visiting Ireland in this trilogy and I reread it every 2 years or so.
The attraction and connection between Rogan and Maggie is powerful and believable. They're one of my favorite romance couples. Her profession - glass artist - is fairly unique and interesting and makes Maggie what she is without overpowering the story. The same goes for the loving relation with her sister and the strained relation with their mother.
1 vote Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
One of those books where you finish it and just sigh and think to yourself, "Lovely." ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
To Amy Berkower, for a decade of taking care of business

Gifted, reclusive, stubborn, free-spirited ...Maggie Concannon is a glassmaker whose exquisite works are more than mere objects of beauty, but reflections of her own true nature. One man saw the soul in her art, and vowed to help this complex woman build a lucrative career. When gallery owner Rogan Sweeney came to Maggie's isolated studio, her heart was enflamed by their fierce attraction--and her dark past was slowly healed by a gentle and forgiving love…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515114693, Mass Market Paperback)

First in the New York Times bestselling trilogy of three modern sisters bound by the timeless beauty of Ireland. Born in Fire follows the story of Maggie Concannon, a reclusive, stubborn, and free- spirited glassmaker. Gallery owner Rogan Sweeney vows to help her-but does their fierce attraction have the power to overcome her dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Artist Maggie Concannon creates beautiful glass images through a blowpipe and with a fiery furnace, much as she herself was born and survived her mother's angry frustrations and resentment. Then Maggie falls in love with Rogan, her new agent, who brings her passion, fame, and riches.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible