Ceremony in Death by J.D. Robb

Ceremony in Death (1997)

by J.D. Robb

Series: In Death (5)

1,834None3,786 (3.99)35

Another great book in this series by J.D. Robb! I was glad to see that this book was a little different. Why? Because although the story was in a futuristic world, it was about satanic cults, wiccans and the world of the occult. And I love this elements in a story!

The plot was better than the previous because now Eve is in a whole new territory for her. She has a logical mind and it’s hard for her to believe in things like magic or Satanism. So, when she’s trying to solve a murder’s case she finds herself a step closer to evil. Now, she has to open her mind and to understand the difference between good and evil. Of course, with her is her beloved husband who is more mysterious than ever!

I liked Eve a lot since the beginning of the series! She’s a vulnerable person, despite the fact she’s a badass. Why I am saying this? Because she hurts when a person she cares about talks badly to her but most of all because her first thought is that this person has a right to speak to her like that! I also adore the fact her love for Roarke has change her. She doesn’t know it but she’s a better person now because she shows her feelings.

Roarke is still a huge mystery. Sometimes I have the feeling that there are too many things he really knows and he chooses not to say anything. His love for Eve is larger than life. He could do anything for her and I love him because he isn’t trying to stop her when she’s doing something dangerous. He’s with her all the way, helping her. Yes, I like him also because he’s smart and sexy!

The plot was great, the characters amazing as always, so this book was brilliant! I love the fact that series has so many books!! ( )
  mariag_1984 | Nov 3, 2013 |
For some reason, despite the ISBN matching - the cover here isn't the same of my copy...

Review soon. ( )
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
Just OK. The book up until the end was good but it seems that Robb wants to make Eve look like an idiot. It is always at the very end and you see it coming like a slow train. This was the second set up that is right in front of her, which is obvious, that she doesn't see. The only reason she makes it through is coincidentally. This time it was the kid that bugs her car. She gets caught by a set up, which for a cop that is questioning, should not happen. She shouldn't be putting herself in that position. This just makes the end frustrating. I wanted Eve to actually "figure it out".

What I liked- The relationship between Roarke and Eve. If it wasn't for the relationship and the background stories going on. The relationship between Feeny and Eve is expanded here and you get to see what they mean to one another.

What I didn't like- Eve doesn't follow her gut at all and doesn't question the big picture. It makes her look stupid and like a bad cop. When things are too good to be true, and too perfectly set up, they probably are. When Peabody questions Eve's technique, Eve blasts into her. This was really uncalled for and not at all objective. And then Peabody has to grovel to get back into Eve's good graces. I really didn't like it and it made it hard to like Eve at all from that point on. Peabody was right and the whole thing was wrong, yet Eve didn't even consider her.

Well I guess I'll see what the next books brings. I hope my regard for Eve goes back up because I don't know if I can continue reading just for the relationship issues. I really want a good background homicide mystery to go along with learning more about the characters. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
Typical Eve-Roarke. If you are reading this book, you are committed to the series. Good, bad, or in-between. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
i really wish roberts would stay out of the whole wicca religion. she doesn't use christianity or judaism as a plot device, so i don't know why she thinks it's okay to do so with wicca. ( )
  lumpish | Apr 25, 2013 |

J.D. Robbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." -Shakespeare

"We may not pay Satan reverence, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents." -Mark Twain
Death surrounded her.

Even in an age of cutting-edge technology, old beliefs die hard...

Death surrounded her. She faced it daily, dreamed of it nightly. Lived with it always. She knew its sounds, its scents, even its texture. Ten years as a cop hadn't hardened her toward it. A decade on the force hadn't made her accept it. Conducting a top-secret investigation into the death of a fellow police officer has Lieutenant Eve Dallas treading on dangerous ground. She must put professional ethics before personal loyalties. But when a dead body is placed outside her home, Eve takes the warning personally. With her husband, Roarke, watching her every move, Eve is drawn into the most dangerous case of her career. Every step she takes makes her question her own beliefs of right and wrong - and brings her closer to a confrontation with humanity's most seductive form of evil...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425157628, Mass Market Paperback)

Conducting a top secret investigation into the death of a fellow police officer has Lieutenant Eve Dallas treading on dangerous ground. She must put professional ethics before personal loyalties. But when a dead body is placed outside her home, Eve takes the warnning personally. With her husband, Roarke, watching her every move, Eve is drawn into the most dangerous case of her career. Every step she takes makes her question her own beliefs of right and wrong--and brings her closer to a confrontation with humanity's most seductive form of evil...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:24 -0400)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible