Conspiracy in Death by J. D. Robb

Conspiracy in Death (original 2001; edition 1999)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (8)

Member:susang5371
Title:Conspiracy in Death
Authors:J. D. Robb
Info:Berkley (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

Conspiracy in Death by J. D. Robb (2001)

English (31)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (32)
I know I've been rating all the books in this series pretty high, but so far, for me at least, they've deserved it.

And this one was one of the best.

My heart broke for Eve in this story. So very much of who she is as a person is wrapped up in being a cop, and when that's taken away, it all but breaks her. Seeing her so fragile and brought so low was a difficult thing, but it made it all the more satisfying when she made it through the sadness and moved onto anger and resolve to solve her case no matter what.

And right there with her you had Roarke. Steadfast, supportive, yet still ready to give her the kick in the ass she needed to get her out of her funk and stir that motivation to fight back.

I also loved seeing the way Eve's friends rallied behind her while all this was going on as well.

So far this series shows no signs of slowing down for me. Hopefully that continues to be the case. ( )
  stellar_raven | Jun 12, 2018 |
When I first started reading this book it opened up in the middle of winter with Lieutnate Eve Dallas and her assistent Peabody they are called to a crime scene of a sidewalk sleeper (Homeless person) and there is a officer Bowers she is one of the first responders. Eve really don't like her much, at first I thoguht Eve was just a bitch but it turns out that Bowers was the bitch she was trying to ruin Eve's career. I will not tell what happened you just got to read it yourself but I will say that Eve is one bad ass cop.

Now for Roarke (Eve's husband.) He is a milti-millionair that owns everything and everyone knows him. He is the idea man. He listens to all of Eve's problems, he knows exactly what to say at the perfect time, he is goodlooking (So I have pictured), and he has a shady past (Which I find sexy, but that just me I am into those kind of guys bad thing I know but I can't help it). He helps Eve on her case she really don't want him to get involved but he get involved anyways.

It was a really awesome book. Although this is the first book of the series that I have read I know right away that I am going to love these books. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
Conspiracy in Death
4 Stars

When a street sleeper is found with his heart surgically removed, Lieutenant Eve Dallas realizes that this is only the latest in a series of murders targeting the most vulnerable members of society. As she closes in on the twisted mind at work, she suddenly finds both her career and the secure life she has constructed for herself under serious threat …

While the In Death books are standard police procedurals (albeit with a futuristic twist) that employ familiar mystery themes and romance tropes, they are nonetheless quick and entertaining reads.

Although the mystery is not at exciting or suspenseful as some of the others in the series because the suspects are more or less interchangeable, Conspiracy in Death is, nevertheless, one of the more touching and poignant installments as it showcases the depth of Eve's emotional scars and the extent of her humanity.

In her darkest moments, Eve relationships with her amazing friends are front and center. Whether it is the love and support she receives from Roarke; her comradery with Peabody, McNab and Feeney, not to mention Dr. Mira's mothering, Mavis's outrageousness or Nadine's sarcastic comebacks - each and every secondary character enriches the sphere Robb has created in these works.

In sum, a lovely addition to the series and I'm enjoying working my way through the books.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
What happens when the NYP&S top murder cop becomes a suspect when a jealous cop gets murdered? ( )
  ashareem | Mar 11, 2018 |
All of the sudden, people are ending up unwilling organ donors and Eve Dallas is on the scene to try and find out why. But what will happen when her job gets put on the line by someone of her own, out of a jealous rivalry. ( )
  wndy2011 | Nov 22, 2017 |

All men think all men mortal but themselves. - Edward Young
Let us hob-and-nob with death. - Tennyson
In my hands is power.

Ninth Eve Dallas Investigation In Death

At a time when human nature remains as predictable as death, a killer plays God - and puts innocent lives in the palm of his hand....

It was always a shock, not the hard one Bowers had hoped for. Eve had seen too much for that. But what one human could do to another was never routine for her. With the precision of a surgeon, a serial killer preys on the most vulnerable of souls of the world's city streets. The first victim: a homeless person, found dead in New York City. No bruises, no signs of a struggle. Just a laser-perfect, fist-sized hole where his heart had once been. Detective Eve Dallas is assigned to investigate. But as she is lured in to a cat-and-mouse game with the killer, Dallas also becomes the focus of an internal investigation. In her mind, Eve feels she has done nothing except irritate some fellow cops with connections in high places. But her struggle to bring a murderer to justice is about to be hindered by the fight to save her career. Now her hands are tied... between a struggle for justice - and a fight for her career....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425168131, Mass Market Paperback)

Streetwise cop Eve Dallas and her trusty sidekick Peabody face a methodical killer in this latest addition to the In Death series by J.D. Robb, better known as the bestselling author Nora Roberts.

In the late 21st century, on the streets of New York City, a street sleeper is found murdered, his diseased heart removed with surgical precision. His death would typically drop to the bottom of a list of senseless and inexplicable killings, but Lieutenant Dallas, who "would stand for the dead and the living," is not about to let that happen. When her research uncovers similar crimes in several cities that were dropped under mysterious circumstances, Dallas knows she's facing a killer cruel enough to prey on the weakest in society and powerful enough to conspire an extensive coverup.

To complicate matters further, Dallas faces an equally troubling threat to her career when she's linked to the death of a fellow cop. Now she must fight to restore her good name as well as track down the killer.

In Conspiracy in Death, Roberts creates a futuristic world of evil that Eve Dallas negotiates through tough talk and brute force. While Robb crafts the crimes with great care, she assumes a familiarity with the characters that new readers will lack. But fans of the In Death series and newcomers alike will enjoy the thrill of the chase as Eve Dallas sets out to get her man. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

In New York, police officer Eve Dallas investigates the sidewalk murders of homeless people by a killer collecting human organs. By the author of Holiday in Death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible