Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Dzur by Steven Brust
9691913,326 (3.89)27
Recently added byMocate, txz, danielfruth, sarah4uk, jzents, Smok112500, private library, eyraud, ironman820, eloquinn

I enjoyed the set-up of this book - each chapter begins with the in depth description of another course in a meal Vlad is having at his favorite restaurant in Adrilankha. The plot, and who's out to kill him this time, unwinds with the food. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Dec 13, 2018 |
Dzur is set immediately after Issola, and sees Vlad - finally - return to Adrilankha.

Vlad goes to great lengths and risks his own life to help someone who would really prefer not to need Vlad's help, thank you very much, for reasons that are more emotional than rational. (That last statement could apply to either of them.) It's a gripping novel, but… sort of bleak, and hard to talk about without discussing spoilers.

At the time, I suppose I wasn't so aware of being happy; but then, spending your time asking yourself if you're happy is as good a way to be miserable as I know. If you want to be happy, don't ask yourself difficult questions, just sit in a quiet, peaceful place and enjoy your solitary klava. ( )
  Herenya | Jan 18, 2017 |
I was disappointed with this book. While the writing style is still fast paced, there are no new developements in the overall plot. In addition, Vlad seems to be falling back into his old ways. All the time spent in the wilds and lesser cities seems to have been for not. The life changing events started in Phoenix and carried through Athyra, Orca, and even Issola just evaporate. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but I really liked the growth of Vlad from the early books until Dzur. Now we seem to have stopped dead. Another missing aspect is unique story telling. Burst seems to have dropped the multiple level story methods that I came to love, like the three story lines that ended in the same place in Taltos. All in all, a passable read, but no eye opening revelations. ( )
  Gkarlives | Apr 24, 2010 |
A stunning good read from Brust. One of the best in a series that has few weaknesses. In addition to the continuing story of Vlad and a deeper understanding of the Empire the book left this reviewer with a great desire to eat even one meal at Valabar & Sons. ( )
  mmyoung | Jan 8, 2010 |

Steven Brustprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, Bernard SetaroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickman, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

For Mark and Guin
Vili glanced up, turned his head back toward the interior, and said, with no particular inflection, "Klava with honey for Lord Taltos."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765341549, Mass Market Paperback)

In which Vlad Taltos confronts the Left Hand of the Jhereg…and discovers the game has more players than he thought...

Vlad Taltos, a short-statured, short-lived human in an Empire of tall, long-lived Dragaerans, has always had to keep his wits about him. Long ago, he made a place for himself as a captain of the Jhereg, the noble house that runs the rackets in the great imperial city of Adrilankha. But love, revolution, betrayal, and revenge ensued, and for years now Vlad has been a man on the run, struggling to stay a step ahead of the Jhereg who would kill him without hesitation.

Now Vlad's back in Adrilankha. The rackets he used to run are now under the control of the mysterious "Left Hand of the Jhereg"—a secretive cabal of women who report to no man. His ex-wife needs his help. His old enemies aren't sure whether they want to kill him, or talk to him and then kill him. A goddess may be playing tricks with his memory. And the Great Weapon he's carrying seems to have plans of its own…

Picking up directly where Issola left off, Dzur is Steven Brust at his best—swashbuckling storytelling with a wry and gritty edge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:32 -0400)

Vlad Taltos, short-statured, short-lived human in an Empire of tall, long-lived Dragaerans, has always had to keep his wits about him. For years now Vlad has been a man on the run, struggling to stay a step ahead of the Jhereg who would kill him without hesitation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,510,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible