Dzur by Steven Brust
Authors:Steven Brust
Info:Tor Fantasy (2007), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:borrowed, finished reading, read in 2012, Robyn

Dzur by Steven Brust (2006)

Recently added bywebmobster, Nickpickle05, private library, Maddz, CraigCote, being_b, seehuhn, amyatbooks, ndmzero

I was disappointed with this book. While the writing style is still fast paced, there are no new developements in the overall plot. In addition, Vlad seems to be falling back into his old ways. All the time spent in the wilds and lesser cities seems to have been for not. The life changing events started in Phoenix and carried through Athyra, Orca, and even Issola just evaporate. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but I really liked the growth of Vlad from the early books until Dzur. Now we seem to have stopped dead. Another missing aspect is unique story telling. Burst seems to have dropped the multiple level story methods that I came to love, like the three story lines that ended in the same place in Taltos. All in all, a passable read, but no eye opening revelations. ( )
  Gkarlives | Apr 24, 2010 |
A stunning good read from Brust. One of the best in a series that has few weaknesses. In addition to the continuing story of Vlad and a deeper understanding of the Empire the book left this reviewer with a great desire to eat even one meal at Valabar & Sons. ( )
  mmyoung | Jan 8, 2010 |
Better than some of the previous books, which is saying something. All of the books in this series have been entertaining. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |
Don't waste your money...: That's right, this latest book is just what the title says...A waste of money. If you want to follow the series, then go to your local library and waste that small portion of your life that this book will fill...I've been a loyal fan, I tolerated the poor character development, the deviation from Vlad's normal territory for the sake of following the story and waiting for it to come full circle, I was disappointed.

I'll try not to spoil much for those of you who plan to read this book, but lets just say that one of the biggest secrets that has been hinted at since Vlad left town is barely covered in the last chapter with very little fanfare.

Can the author write? Without a doubt...Do I care to have THAT much detail over one meal that occurs during the book? Not really. I'd prefer more plot, some time spent with characters we haven't experienced in a while...Dare I say? A little more effort on the author's part to entertain with actual characters? A unique idea, I know, but one with merit.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
This was my first Brust book. Maybe starting on number 10 in a series isn't the best idea.. I had quite a few questions that I'm sure were answered in the earlier novels. However, I think I understood most of it.This was also my first fantasy book in a long time. I enjoyed the action and fast pace. I also really liked the main character Vlad. I'll definitely read more of the series as I am a true sucker for books involving dragon familiars. :) ( )
  hannah.aviva | Feb 26, 2009 |

Steven Brustprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickman, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Vili glanced up, turned his head back toward the interior, and said, with no particular inflection, "Klava with honey for Lord Taltos."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765341549, Mass Market Paperback)

In which Vlad Taltos confronts the Left Hand of the Jhereg…and discovers the game has more players than he thought...

Vlad Taltos, a short-statured, short-lived human in an Empire of tall, long-lived Dragaerans, has always had to keep his wits about him. Long ago, he made a place for himself as a captain of the Jhereg, the noble house that runs the rackets in the great imperial city of Adrilankha. But love, revolution, betrayal, and revenge ensued, and for years now Vlad has been a man on the run, struggling to stay a step ahead of the Jhereg who would kill him without hesitation.

Now Vlad's back in Adrilankha. The rackets he used to run are now under the control of the mysterious "Left Hand of the Jhereg"—a secretive cabal of women who report to no man. His ex-wife needs his help. His old enemies aren't sure whether they want to kill him, or talk to him and then kill him. A goddess may be playing tricks with his memory. And the Great Weapon he's carrying seems to have plans of its own…

Picking up directly where Issola left off, Dzur is Steven Brust at his best—swashbuckling storytelling with a wry and gritty edge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:30 -0400)

Vlad Taltos, short-statured, short-lived human in an Empire of tall, long-lived Dragaerans, has always had to keep his wits about him. For years now Vlad has been a man on the run, struggling to stay a step ahead of the Jhereg who would kill him without hesitation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,978,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible