Deadlock by Sara Paretsky

English (12)  German (1)  English (13)
V.I. Watshawski's cousin, Boom Boom, a well lacked former hockey player, slips off a wharf and is drowned. The police believe it is just an unfortunate accident. V.I. decides to look closer and then a security guard in Boom Boom's building is killed by an intruder in his apartment. Boom Boom worked for a shipping company and she starts to find out about the shipping companies and how they do business. Attempts are made on her life and her car is tampered with creating a terrible accident. She is injured and at least one person is killed. Vic is now involved with grain elevators and thousand ton freighters. She is on board a 1000 foot freighter when it is blown up. She uncovers a plot to ruin a new shipping company. This is the second in the V.I. Warshawski series and I liked it very much.
  taurus27 | Oct 15, 2016 |
I was a little under-the-weather this weekend, so I was glad to be distracted by this second book in the V. I. Warshawski series. I started this series when Sara Paretsky came to the Iowa City Book Festival. I read the first book before she came and enjoyed it. But after hearing her talk about creating the character of V. I. Warshawski and the growth of this character over the course of the series, I was excited to read more.

This is another fast paced mystery, but this time, V. I. is personally involved with the death. Her cousin, former hockey star Boom Boom Warshawski, slips off a deck at Chicago's lakefront and dies. But V. I. senses that his death is not an accident. Boom Boom has been working in the shipping industry, and V. I. must learn the ins and outs of the big ships that transport cargo across the Great Lakes. As more deaths occur, the urgency builds, and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. This is a strong and enjoyable series! ( )
  porch_reader | Dec 2, 2015 |
This is my first Sara Paretsky but definitely not my last. Everything I look for in a mystery was here: solid characters, an interesting plot and good writing. I know nothing about the shipping industry or about the Great Lakes. I enjoyed delving into something new.

Recommended. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Sep 20, 2015 |
Written 30 years ago, this is a look back into past that even those who lived through it would find almost impossible to recall. The story itself, though, is rather fun as Vic deploys all her considrable charms in pursuit of the murderer of her cousin and we get a look into the economy of the shipping magnates of the Great Lakes region of North America. ( )
  JohnFair | Oct 5, 2014 |
I love the main character, V.I. Warshawski -- a strong, humorous female private detective. More gritty than Kinsey Milhone but less vulgar than Stephanie Plum. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |

Sara Paretskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rowena Akinyemimain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Lucella Wieser,
a lady who sailed these seas
with wit and great courage
for over a hundred and six years
More than a thousand people attended Boom Boom's funeral.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440213320, Mass Market Paperback)

When her cousin, Boom Boom, is murdered, V.I. begins an investigation and is caught up in a game of lies, extortion, blackmail, sabotage, and murder in Chicago's shipping industry. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:59 -0400)

Murder mystery features female private investigator.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,664,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible