China Study, The: The Most Comprehensive…

China Study, The: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted… (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Colin Campbell

Member:rubicon528
Title:China Study, The: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health
Authors:Colin Campbell
Info:Ben Bella (2006), Edition: 1st BenBella Books Ed, Hardcover, 417 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Non-fiction, Vegan, Health

The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health by T. Colin Campbell (2005)

Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber (smartblonde)
    How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease by Michael Greger (davesmind)
    davesmind: Both are excellent books and are likely to change what you eat. How not to die is more up to date and more focused on specific foods and diseases.
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (Anonymous user)

English (37)  Italian (1)  English (38)
Incendiary Refresher Course

-There is a mountain of scientific evidence to show that the healthiest diet you can possibly consume is a high carbohydrate diet.
-The past 60 years have been a celebration of chemicals and technology instead of diet and prevention. So we don’t die from heart disease as often, but we still get it at about the rates. Those who have bypass surgery do not have fewer heart attacks than those who do not.
-Calcium builds strong bones, but cow’s milk weakens them, as osteoporosis. Americans, Australians and New Zealanders drink the most milk, and have the most bone fractures from middle age on.
-One of the biggest health hoaxes in history is the nutrient supplement industry.
-The health damage from doctors’ ignorance of nutrition is astounding.

Welcome back to The China Study, still straight-shooting, still dramatic, and about 70 pages longer in the new edition. This book provides more training in the health effects of food than MDs get in all their years of education. The clinical studies, the case histories and the science are all here in plain, direct language. It is a very hard book to put down. The facts, usually contrary to everything we’ve been taught, keep coming fast and hard.

The reason the facts are contrary is of course because of the usual suspects: Big Ag, Big Pharma and Big Processors. They have corrupted our universities with grants, infiltrated government agencies to keep the truth at bay, and spend billions advertising their false promises. We grow up with their falsehoods, and we believe in them. Those who try to speak out are isolated, shunned, removed and fired. It is all examined in you-are-there detail, because it all happened to Colin Campbell and other (once) highly-regarded doctors he profiles.

Campbell’s basic premise is that animal protein destroys our internal ecosystem. A Whole Food, Plant-Based diet not only maintains better health, it can even reverse damage. The scientific proof is endless – and so are the defenders of the SAD – Standard American Diet - that is about one third animal, between meat and dairy.

When I read the first China Study ten years ago, I immediately went back online and ordered a whole case of them. I then mailed them out to friends all over, preceded by an e-mail warning and my review. That’s how impressed I was. This second edition forced me to reread it. In so doing, I came across several strong new claims and rushed to the first edition, only to find they were already there. So this edition is as much a badly needed refresher as a new discovery. Glad they made me do it.

David Wineberg ( )
  DavidWineberg | Dec 4, 2016 |
I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not an expert on research studies, but I have taken college courses on reading and analyzing them. The studies he picked seem biased and he interprets the data to support his believes, but the results have other meanings that he ignores. At times I felt like he completely misinterpreted data because he wanted more "evidence." Sorry, I don't have examples; I read this months ago. I don't regret reading it, but I'm just not in love with it. It's interesting enough for 3 stars. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I'm not sure why this is titled "The China Study" as there's little in it about the study itself. I'd really expected to read about the variety of foods in various regions of China and their impact on health, weight, and fitness. I don't argue with the authors' promotion of a 'whole food, plant based' diet but a more accurate title would have included that phrase - it was repeated often enough in the book. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
This book explains the results and the research behind the author's study of health and nutrition. With so much information available, most of it conflicting, it's difficult for the average person to decide what is really the right choice. Campbell describes how the information came about, what is important and why it is important. The recommendation: a plant-based. Not a new idea, but more convincing with the necessary detail. I have to admit that I skimmed some of this scientifically dense book. Not everyone wants this level of detail, but I found it interesting, informative and it made good sense. ( )
  VivienneR | Apr 1, 2016 |
Some interesting research, showing the potential dangers of cow's milk products and other animal proteins. However the author was clearly writing from a biased (vegan/animal rights) perspective, and does not always make reasonable conclusions from the data. Take with a large grain of salt, and read critiques of this book before taking the principles on board too strongly. Rather detailed and tedious in places, too. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Campbell, T. Colinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, Thomas M., IIAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lyman, HowardPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robbins, JohnForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Karen Campbell, whose incredible love and caring made this book possible.

And to Thomas IcIlwain Campbell and Betty DeMott Campbell for their incredible gifts.
On a golden morning in 1946, when summer was all tuckered out and fall wanted to be let in, all you could hear on my family's dairy farm was quiet.

This study examines more than 350 variables of health and nutrition with surveys from 6,500 adults in 65 counties, representing 2,500 counties across rural China and Taiwan. While revealing that proper nutrition can have a dramatic effect on reducing and reversing these ailments as well as obesity, this text calls into question the practices of many of the current dietary programs, such as the Atkins diet, that enjoy widespread popularity in the West. The impact of the politics of nutrition and the efforts of special interest groups on the creation and dissemination of public information on nutrition are also discussed. [from Publisher description].… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,657,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible