China Study, The: The Most Comprehensive…

China Study, The: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted… (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Colin Campbell

923None9,457 (4.16)18
Member:rubicon528
Title:China Study, The: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health
Authors:Colin Campbell
Info:Ben Bella (2006), Edition: 1st BenBella Books Ed, Hardcover, 417 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Non-fiction, Vegan, Health

The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health by T. Colin Campbell (2005)

Recently added byashleeeyyy88, adamwtate, private library, QueenSabine, PureEarth, schatzi, benruth, kitsunerains
Legacy LibrariesJack Layton

This book really is comprehensive and makes a no-brainer argument for not eating animal products and adopting a whole food, plant-based diet. I'm glad I was already vegan before I read it or I'm sure I would have been freaked out. This should be required reading for anyone working in the medical field and anyone who cares about their health. ( )
  bookmagic | Mar 7, 2014 |
A lot of data with very few tangible suggestions or examples of the kinds of diets they were studying. ( )
  marti.booker | Dec 2, 2013 |
To use one of the author's favorite adjectives, the book was 'provocative.' I actually find this quite credible and I will change the way I eat, somewhat. ( )
  Jeremy_Palmer | Oct 5, 2013 |
Amazing book - a book every person should read (but won't) - a book every person should follow (but won't). I've read a hundred of these books and very very few impress me with their research...this was one of them. ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
recommended for: those ignorant about the health benefits of a plant based diet

I have to say that I was not in the mood to read this book. In fact, I’d decided I wasn’t interested in reading it at all. When it first was published I’d heard good things about it so I bought it, but then heard some negative things and put it aside. However, my real world book club decided to read it as our October selection so I read it, but I was not enthusiastic.

I was a bit irritable reading this as I felt as though I should be taking notes and memorizing material as I would while reading a textbook for a class, and I longed to be reading fiction instead. However, the book was better overall than I’d anticipated.

First the bad:

I was warned that this was not a “vegan” book but the authors completely lost me when on page 242 fish is in the category to minimize consumption, not eliminate it, after spending the rest of the book advocating eating 100% plant products. Well, fish are animals, not plants. the authors claim that for losing weight or maintaining an ideal weight calories don’t count so much if one is eating a whole foods plants only diet, and I know this to not be true.

Also, reading this made me anxious. I haven’t taken that great care of myself for the last 5 ½ years, ever since I suffered knee injuries from running too much. Perhaps had I read this 5 ½ years ago, I’d have felt empowered rather than frightened. This is not the book’s fault of course, but it did diminish my ability to enjoy the reading experience.

Now the good:

I liked how he talked about his life and work; it kept the book from being too dry.

There’s a lot of excellent nutritional information included, including the dangers of consuming animal protein (worth at least a star all by itself) and other lesser known nutritional knowledge. Also, there’s important information about the lack of nutritional education for medical professionals, the power of the food industry to keep Americans eating unhealthy foods, and other cogent arguments for recommending a 100% plant based diet. A lot of diseases and conditions are covered, with nutritional reasons for their occurrence and nutritional solutions for their improvement or cure.

Not much of the information was new to me. The two areas that gave me something to think about were what was said about the role of genetics (less than I’ve always assumed) and information about supplements (I have to rethink what supplements I take, which will involve some more research on my part.)

The research he’s conducted and evaluated was more sound than I expected, for which I was grateful.

What a shame that immigrants to America so often give up their healthier national diet for America’s often inferior fare, which is something I’ve often thought.

Most importantly, this book has gotten some people to become vegan or adopt a diet with many more plant products and fewer animal products, so I can’t really criticize it too strongly. So, I do hope that many people read this book. If everyone self educates with the information this book provides, at least they can make a truly informed consent about how they choose to eat.

Oh, and I usually read books cover to cover but I did not read the References on pages 369-404. ( )
1 vote Lisa2013 | Apr 19, 2013 |

T. Colin Campbellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, Thomas M., IImain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Karen Campbell, whose incredible love and caring made this book possible.

And to Thomas IcIlwain Campbell and Betty DeMott Campbell for their incredible gifts.
On a golden morning in 1946, when summer was all tuckered out and fall wanted to be let in, all you could hear on my family's dairy farm was quiet.

This study examines more than 350 variables of health and nutrition with surveys from 6,500 adults in 65 counties, representing 2,500 counties across rural China and Taiwan. While revealing that proper nutrition can have a dramatic effect on reducing and reversing these ailments as well as obesity, this text calls into question the practices of many of the current dietary programs, such as the Atkins diet, that enjoy widespread popularity in the West. The impact of the politics of nutrition and the efforts of special interest groups on the creation and dissemination of public information on nutrition are also discussed. [from Publisher description].… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,433,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible