Glory in Death by J. D. Robb

Glory in Death (1995)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (2)

novel, contemporary, romance, suspense, detective, crime, 2017 ( )
  lizbandit | Mar 19, 2017 |
Other than being set in the future it's a pretty standard murder mystery. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 27, 2016 |
Glory in Death
4 Stars

Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas’s investigation into the deaths of two prominent and successful women takes a personal turn when both victims are linked to her lover - the enigmatic business magnet known only as Roarke. Although she believes in his innocence, as a police detective, Eve is to follow every lead no matter where it takes her.

Suffice it to say that the reasons J.D. Robb fans adore this series are starting to become clear to me: Fast paced writing, interesting character development, an unpredictable romance and a mystery with some compelling twists and turns.

Eve is a very complex heroine. On a professional level, one cannot help but admire her resilience and independence as she strives to attain justice for the victims. However, on the personal front, she is somewhat of a mess as she struggles to cope with her feelings for Roarke and difficulty expressing her obvious love for him.

Roarke is just as interesting but for opposite reasons. It is rare to find an alpha hero so ready to embrace his new and unexpected feelings for a woman, but Roarke does so without hesitation and this makes him more appealing than all of his enigmatic sexiness (which he also has in abundance).

Eve and Roarke’s romance is a rollercoaster ride of ups and downs, arguments and reconciliations, ultimatums and acceptance. It keeps the reader guessing and the pages turning.

Unlike the first installment, the mystery in this one caught me by surprise. Although all the necessary clues are available to anyone paying attention, guessing the culprit before the big reveal also requires an ability to see past the obvious and look beyond surface appearances. Kudos to Robb for being able to blindside me in this regard.

In sum, this series is growing on me and I’m eager to read on and see what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This 2nd book in the In Death Series by J.D. Robb is currently not available at the Edgemead Library. To see at which library the book is available, visit the City of Cape Town's OPAC at coct.slims.gov.za/desktop/desktopct
  jtroost | Apr 18, 2016 |
I think I've found a new mystery author to add to my list of favorite. Glory In Death is the second book of J.D. Robb's "In Death" series and I was pleasantly surprised that it kept pace with the first, surpassing my expectations. Between Eve's investigation and hunt for a serial killer, her relationship with Roarke is changing. I like how the author is slowly revealing the personalities of her main characters, especially Eve. I like the mystery surrounding Roarke, but I'm getting enough from him for now and I love the banter, tension, chemistry, tenderness (you name it) between the couple.

Mavis, Eve's friend and a local singer/entertainer, was another great character, providing colorful comic relief between those tense scenes. I'm hoping she'll be a regular in the series.

The finish surprised me as I had my money on other people for the "Whodunnit." The ending made perfect sense though and I loved being along for the ride! Since I only have 50 some odd books to go, I won't have to worry about finding something to read for awhile either!

If you haven't given this smart, futuristic, murder mystery series a try, pick up the first book! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alonso Blanco, María VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isern Torrente, CarolinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romaní, LolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fame then was cheap...
And they have kept it since, by being dead.
---Dryden
Chok'd with ambition of the meaner sort.
----Shakespeare
The dead were her business.
At least this time, with this murder, she knew he had an alibi. At the time Cicely Towers was having her throat slashed, Roarke had been fu***ng the hell out of the investigating officer.

It is 2058, New York City. In a world where technology can reveal the darkest of secrets, there's only one place to hide a crime of passion-in the heart. The dead were her business. She lived with them, worked with them, studied them. She dreamed of them. And because that didn't seem to be enough, in some deep, secret chamber of her heart, she mourned for them.

Even in the mid-twenty-first century, during a time when genetic testing usually weeds out any violent hereditary traits before they can take over, murder still happens. The first victim is found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second is murdered in her own apartment building. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas has no problem finding connections between the two crimes. Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women. Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city. And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provide Eve with a long list of suspects-including her own lover, Roarke. As a woman, Eve is compelled to trust the man who shares her bed. But as a cop, it's her job to follow every lead... to investigate every scandalous rumor... to explore every secret passion, no matter how dark. Or how dangerous.
In a time when technology can reveal the darkest of secrets, there's only one place to hide a crime of passion - in the heart.
The first victim was found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second was murdered in her own apartment building. Police lieutenant Eve Dallas had no problem finding connections between the two crimes. Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women. Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city. And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provided Eve with a long list of suspects - including her own lover, Roarke.

As a woman, Eve was compelled to trust the man who shared her bed. But as a cop, it was her job to follow every lead...to investigate every scandalous rumor...to explore every secret passion, no matter how dark. Or how dangerous.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425150984, Mass Market Paperback)

The first victim was found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second was murdered in her own apartment building. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas had no problem finding connections between the two crimes. Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women. Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city. And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provided Eve with a long list of suspects--including her own lover, Roarke. As a woman, Eve was compelled to trust the man who shared her bed. But as a cop, it was her job to follow every lead..to explore every secret passion, no matter how dark. Or how dangerous.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

Suspecting a link between the murders of two beautiful and highly successful women, police lieutenant Eve Dallas follows up on a long list of suspects that includes her own lover, Roarke.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,097,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible