Glory in Death by J. D. Robb

Glory in Death (original 1995; edition 1995)

by J. D. Robb (Author)

Series: In Death (2)

In a time when technology can reveal the darkest of secrets, there's only one place to hide a crime of passion - in the heart. The first victim was found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second was murdered in her own apartment building. Police lieutenant Eve Dallas had no problem finding connections between the two crimes. Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women. Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city. And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provided Eve with a long list of suspects including her own lover, Roarke. As a woman, Eve was compelled to trust the man who shared her bed. But as a cop, it was her job to follow every lead, to investigate every scandalous rumor, to explore every secret passion, no matter how dark. Or how dangerous.… (more)
Member:SandyDawn
Title:Glory in Death
Authors:J. D. Robb (Author)
Info:Berkley (1995), Edition: Reissue, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Glory in Death by J. D. Robb (1995)

As the narrator began, I realized how much I had missed the character of Eve Dallas and her world. It has been awhile since I finished the first book, but the author immediately drew me back into New York of the future. The book set the mood and environment easily without having to rehash the first book over and over and I liked that JD Robb didn’t waste the readers time with that.

The case Eve is assigned in this book is very different from the previous one but just as interesting. JD Robb works in the characters we met in the first book into the story seamlessly. My favorite parts were getting to know the characters of Commander Whitney and Mavis a little better.

I was worried that this book was going to reduce Eve’s character by her relationship with Roarke but it does not. The author does a fantastic job of balancing Eve’s personality with her developing emotions for Roarke. Her reactions to him are true to form while also showing her some growth in allowing both Roarke and Mavis closer to her. I really appreciated seeing the author respect the character as much as I do.

The narrator was excellent at maintaining the characters voices from the first book which helped draw me right back into the story. I think I enjoyed this book better than the first because of my attachment to the characters.
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
Another murder investigation and more in the on going relationship between Rourke and Eve. Great series, interesting futuristic ideas.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Well, frogs. I'm done for. 40-something books in the series and I'm HOOKED. It's true. After book one I was in like. A quarter of the way through this, I just put it down and walked away for almost a month. I was thinking, "Meh, Eve's annoying."

Well, let me just say, I'm in love! Eve, Roarke, Feeney, even grouchy Summerset. There's a story there, and I'm looking forward to the thaw. Ah, new love...ain't it grand? ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Part of the in Death series. I re-read parts of it before giving it away and still found it suspenseful and great to read. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Apr 20, 2019 |
LT Eve Dallas is in a relationship with the fabulously rich, powerful and handsome Roarke. She is having trouble coming to grips with it. She’s always been a strong single woman who is one of the best cops that NYC has to offer. She is called out to investigate the murder of PA Cicely Towers, one of the best auttoneys in the city. Cicely was found in a bad part of town with her throat slit. The weasel news anchor CJ Morse was right there to cover a second sensational murder of a well known actress. CJ is a pain in reporter Nadine Furst’s behind. Nadine is an honest reporter who goes to Eve for info and a story on the murders. Nadine and Eve join forces to try to flush out the murderer.

A lot of nice twists and turns in this story, as we get to know more about Eve and Roarke. Street patrol officer Peabody is also introduced briefly. A great fast read. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Feb 10, 2019 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alonso Blanco, María VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isern Torrente, CarolinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romaní, LolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fame then was cheap...
And they have kept it since, by being dead.
---Dryden
Chok'd with ambition of the meaner sort.
----Shakespeare
The dead were her business.
At least this time, with this murder, she knew he had an alibi. At the time Cicely Towers was having her throat slashed, Roarke had been fu***ng the hell out of the investigating officer.

It is 2058, New York City. In a world where technology can reveal the darkest of secrets, there's only one place to hide a crime of passion-in the heart. The dead were her business. She lived with them, worked with them, studied them. She dreamed of them. And because that didn't seem to be enough, in some deep, secret chamber of her heart, she mourned for them.

Even in the mid-twenty-first century, during a time when genetic testing usually weeds out any violent hereditary traits before they can take over, murder still happens. The first victim is found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second is murdered in her own apartment building. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas has no problem finding connections between the two crimes. Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women. Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city. And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provide Eve with a long list of suspects-including her own lover, Roarke. As a woman, Eve is compelled to trust the man who shares her bed. But as a cop, it's her job to follow every lead... to investigate every scandalous rumor... to explore every secret passion, no matter how dark. Or how dangerous.
The first victim was found lying on a sidewalk in the rain. The second was murdered in her own apartment building. Police lieutenant Eve Dallas had no problem finding connections between the two crimes. Both victims were beautiful and highly successful women. Their glamorous lives and loves were the talk of the city. And their intimate relations with men of great power and wealth provided Eve with a long list of suspects - including her own lover, Roarke.

As a woman, Eve was compelled to trust the man who shared her bed. But as a cop, it was her job to follow every lead...to investigate every scandalous rumor...to explore every secret passion, no matter how dark. Or how dangerous.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,170,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible