Holding the Dream: The Dream Trilogy #2 by…

Holding the Dream: The Dream Trilogy #2 (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Nora Roberts

Member:Lilaena
Title:Holding the Dream: The Dream Trilogy #2
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Jove (1997), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, nora roberts, romance

Holding the Dream by Nora Roberts (1997)

Recently added byaddictofromance, rena75, private library

The "Dream" series sets you up to meet the Templeton family one by one. In Daring to Dream Margo Sullivan (now Templeton after marrying Josh) dared to give up a life of glamour to own her own second hand shop. In Holding the Dream, it's Kate Powell who takes center stage. If Margo is the sexy one, Kate is the outwardly dowdy accountant, the sexy-behind-the-scenes-but-good-with-numbers one. Orphaned by a childhood tragedy, she joins the Templeton household as the ugly and odd duck; she grows up to be the ambitious accountant striving to pull her weight and forever indebted to the Templetons for their generosity. She is no nonsense and serious and to the letter with everything she does so how it that Kate is accused of embezzling from the firm she wants to make partner? Of course it's a Templeton connection who swoops in to save the day. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Sep 11, 2018 |
Since I just finished this book, I have to say, what a baffling ending. It just...stopped.

Anyway, so was a bunch of the rest of this book. Nora Roberts usually has a knack for writing excellent characters that truly make you feel for or at least appreciate their personalities since you can sometimes relate. This series so far has not done this.

This second Dreams novel focuses on Kate Powell and Byron De Witt's relationship, which was better to read than Margo and Josh's. At least one of these two were actually pretty reasonable human beings this time around. But that's about where my praise for them ends.

In the first book, we get a glimpse at Kate and formulate the opinion that she's a strong-willed, smart, sarcastic fighter type. But upon closer inspection in this novel, she's suddenly transformed into an insecure, stubborn, weak, and frankly stupid person. It's difficult to stay absorbed in her storyline when her characteristics don't match it up with how she was previously presented.

And despite having a background as a hard-working overachiever who was intelligent enough to skip grades in school, and have a pretty well put together life compared to Margo, somehow Kate still needed a knight in shining armor in the form of Byron to ride in and "save" her. Certain things I understood, like making sure Kate didn't forget basic necessities such as eating when she got too wrapped in work, but throughout the book, he basically took control and seemed to be making decisions for her, and mostly without consulting her about it. Like, how is that helping her get better if she's going to now become so dependent on him?

I get that it's supposed to be a theme in most, if not all, of the NR reads but this was just ridiculous. Maybe it was tolerable in some of her other trilogies because they actually featured strong female characters, while in contrast, the Dreams ladies seem like they can fall apart at the slightest breeze from the sea if their man-to-be is not by their side to catch them. I mean, "[Byron] shot a look at Josh that clearly stated they would talk later and began to usher Kate down the hall." Did I really just read that nonsense?

Rather than rooting for either character, this book just got me angry until all I wanted to do was see how it ends. Which was poorly.

Despite all of the above, this *still* hasn't been the worst NR series I've read and I'm really hoping Laura's story will be better! Not holding out any hopes and *dreams* though! ( )
  ThePdawg | Jan 14, 2018 |
“I'm in love with you. Deal with it." – Byron De Witt

Now THIS is so much better! Unlike Margo's story, Kate's was such a fresh breath of air!

In the second book of the Dream Trilogy, Kate Powell, Laura's cousin and the practical one of the trio, is having some health issues. Issues that she repeatedly ignores and makes worse. But her health isn't the only thing going downhill in her life currently. After finding out that her father stole from his company when he was alive, she takes an even bigger hit when she's reported for practically the same thing. As she's trying to bring her life back to its former balance, Kate is about to find out that not everything has to be part of a plan - and trusting her body in the very capable hands of Byron De Witt seems like the most logical first step.

I have to say, I immensely enjoyed this one. Unlike Margo, Kate was spanky and feisty, with a good head on her shoulders and tons of dry wit in her arsenal. She didn't dream of fame and all that crap the blonde bimbo wanted, instead she wished for stability and intended to work hard to get it. Now that's the kind of female lead I can totally relate to in a book!

Next to her, Byron was the perfect man to stand and thrive - seriously! Because the guy was no Josh! (yes, I hate Margo's man, too) He was sweet, and gentlemanly, and used his heart in wonderful equality with his mind. Not only that, but he was also man enough to let Kate take the reins when he saw it worked out better, and yet go all "caveman" on her when she crossed the line. He was perfection and then some! And when he seriously started courting her - honestly, there's no other way to put it, judging from what he did to and for her - I nearly melted on my seat!

Together, they were a badass duo. He took care of her health and her relaxation, she made sure he wouldn't slack off - not that he often did. And they had so much in common, although it was subtle. I'm telling you, the perfect relationship! One that was meant to happen and spelled "forever" bright and clear! (if you're hesitant to believe me, just read this line of Byron's:
“You're not beautiful," he said in a quiet statement that made her brow knit. "Why do you look beautiful when you're not?” - the man clearly loved her for what he saw inside, not because she was a fuckable piece of meat!)

I'm so glad this wasn't like the first book. I wouldn't have been able to take it had it been the same disappointment the previous one proved to be... Now, to review the third one...

“I'm a mess. I'm insane. I'm in love with you." – Kate Powell ( )
  Lydia_Perversius | Nov 25, 2017 |
I liked this second story about the Templeton sisters with an interesting plot that moved right along but I felt the heroine was too stubborn in a couple places. My rating is 3.5* because first story a bit better. Hotelier Bryon encounters accountant Kate when she is having trouble at work.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
I really identified with the character's rational thinking and stubborn nature. I got angry when she did and felt sad when she did. Roberts really ties you in emotionally with her protagonists. I also felt the male love interest was a lovely foil. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arijón, Teresa BeatrizTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burr, Sandrasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Il respirait, sentait l'air if et salé de l'océan lui emplir les poumons.

Surrounded by the sweeping cliffs and beauty of Big Sur, Kate Powell treasured her life at Templeton House... and the family who raised her like one of their own. Although Kate Lacked Margo's beauty and Laura's elegance, she knew she had something they would never possess--a shrewd head for business. Driven by ambition, Kate measured her life's success with each soaring promotion. But now faced with professional impropriety, Kate is forced to look deep within herself--only to find something missing in her life... and in her heart.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515120006, Mass Market Paperback)

This book is the second in a trilogy. Raised together, Kate, Margo, and Laura are as close as real sisters, and when in need they return to Templeton House, their home and sanctuary. Kate finds herself running there when she is accused of embezzlement. That is not the only trial Kate faces; she suffers silently with a family secret she recently discovered. Practical to a fault, she intends to handle things her own way and in her own time, even if her stubbornness makes her ill. Byron De Witt, however, has other ideas. Nora Roberts is truly a gifted storyteller, and none of her books will disappoint. If you missed the first book in the trilogy Daring to Dream, hurry and get it. You don't want to miss Margo's story. Laura's story, Finding the Dream will be released in August 1997.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

Kate Powell faces a professional impropriety and a dark secret from her past that forces her to search deep within herself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,485,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible