Loyalty in Death by J.D. Robb

Loyalty in Death (original 1999; edition 2004)

by J.D. Robb

Series: In Death (9)

Member:bikermice
Title:Loyalty in Death
Authors:J.D. Robb
Info:Piatkus Books (2004), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:futuristic, homicide, Eve Dallas, Roarke, romance

Loyalty in Death by J. D. Robb (1999)

I absolutely loved this book. The entire bombing plot was so tense and at times so very sad. I admit I teared up a time or two when Eve and Peabody were faced with the aftermath of the terrorists' attacks.

That whole We Are Cassandra thing was just so creepy!

Sidenote: It was so sad to read about the Twin Towers as a possible target. (This book was originally published in 1999--only two short years before 9/11. :(

On a happier note, I absolutely LOVED the Peabody/McNab interaction in this book! I can't wait to see where these to go in the future.

I enjoyed meeting Peabody's brother, and he turns up in later books.

And as always, my favorite parts are any scenes with Eve and Roarke. I absolutely adore their relationship, and I love the fact that even though they may disagree and argue, you know with 100% certainty that they are totally and completely in love with each other and nothing will change that. ( )
  stellar_raven | Jun 13, 2018 |
Loyalty in Death
4 Stars

A routine investigation into the homicide of a businessman is interrupted by a series of bombings that hit close to home when the perpetrator targets Roarke's holdings and sends taunting letters to Eve.

While the bomb plot is all too realistic in this day and age (perhaps even more so post 9/11), and the case has some incredibly intense moments, the villains are fairly obvious and the outcome predictable. That said, the character development and dialogue make this a series to return to over and over.

The relationships really stand out in this installment whether it is Peabody and McNab taking an interesting step in their love/hate relationship; Eve realizing that marriage to Roarke will require a change in attitude, or the hints at some intriguing things to come with Eve's mother.

In sum, a fast-paced and enjoyable read. Looking forward to seeing what happens next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Erickson has found her voice for these characters (audio book.) Revisiting this series has reminded me why I enjoy it so much. ( )
  ashareem | Mar 11, 2018 |
A radical group has marked New York City and Eve must find them before they blow up her beloved city. ( )
  wndy2011 | Nov 24, 2017 |
Casandra wants to dominate the world and uses Peabody’s brother to further their goals. Once again Eve and Roarke work to save New York.

This is one of the early books of the series a lot of adventure and slick man-toys. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Oct 7, 2017 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As flies to wanton boys, are we to the gods; They kill us for their sport. -Shakespeare
Politics, as the word is commonly understood, are nothing but corruptions. - Jonathan Swift
Dear Comrade, We are Cassandra.
"Summerset: " You are, once again, quite late."

Eve: "Yeah? And you are, once again, really ugly. Difference is, tomorrow I might be on time."

Tenth Eve Dallas Investigation In Death

New York cop Eve Dallas returns to face her most ingenious foe--a "secret admirer" who taunts her with letters... and kills without mercy.

She'd lost her badge and had nearly lost her way too recently for the sting to have faded. Now that she had both back, she wasn't ready to set duty aside. An unknown bomber is Cassandra is stalking New York City. He is sending Eve Dallas taunting letters promising to wreak mass terror and destruction among the corrupt masses. And when his cruel web of deceit and destruction threatens those she cares for most, Eve fights back. It's her city... It's her job... and it's hitting too close to home. Now, in a race against a ticking clock, Eve must make the pieces fit - before the city falls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 042517140X, Mass Market Paperback)

In 21st-century New York City, tough-as-nails cop Eve Dallas can survive a bombing, seduce her husband, and outsmart a terrorist--all on four hours of sleep. In this latest installment of the In Death series, author J.D. Robb (a.k.a. Nora Roberts) casts our heroine against an enigmatic group of terrorists named Cassandra. With no clear motivation or demands, Cassandra feeds on the thrill of senseless killing and the calculated destruction of Eve's world.

Relying on her own brawn and brains, as well as that of her aid Peabody and her husband Roarke, Eve begins to unravel a mystery that began decades before. When the killer's threats land close to home, Eve knows she has no choice but to gamble her own life for the chance to save her city as well as her loved ones.

J.D. Robb's combinations of mystery, suspense, and romance keep the fans of this series clamoring for more, and Loyalty in Death has equal amounts of each. While the passion between Eve and Roarke is as good as ever, the introduction of a new romantic element certainly turns up the heat and is a welcome twist. Though the evil-terrorist-in-NYC theme has been done before (most recently in The Siege), these beloved characters put up a good fight, and keep us glued to the pages. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

An unknown bomber is stalking New York City. He is sending Eve Dallas taunting letters promising to wreak mass terror and destruction among the "corrupt masses." And when his cruel web of deceit and destruction threatens those she cares for most, Even fights back. It's her city ... it's her job ... and it's hitting too close to home. Now, in a race against a ticking clock, Eve must make the pieces fit -- before the city falls.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,508,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible