Return to the Fierce Land (Out of the Fierce Land Book 1)

by N.C. Bolton

224,223,417 (5)None
Recently added byPattiPeanut1992, Harley0326

No tags

Perhaps because I am a crocheter myself and am a writer through my blogging, I was interested in reading this book. It is filled with intense moments with a storyline that captured my imagination and my attention. The world-building is fantastic, and I became invested in learning how the story of Myla and Rikk turns out.

This book is the first book in the Out of the Fierce Land series and I look forward to reading more books in this series. This young adult fantasy novel has a wonderful message of family, courage, and faith. Myla and Rikk are characters I became invested in because I cannot imagine the pain of losing my parents and then being separated from my siblings.

The village elders provide wise counsel and encouragement to Rikk. The strength of family bonds and facing fears come across clearly. Also, the message of needing and knowing God is there are well. Truly this book is one that is worth reading.

So check it out for yourself.

I received a copy of this book for my fair and honest review. ( )
  PattiPeanut1992 | May 12, 2020 |
Fantasy books use clever tools to write stories filled with mystical creatures, powers, worlds we have never explored and create an adventure. Sometimes I have a difficult time trying to follow this genre, but every once in awhile I find a book that stimulates my imagination and allows me to get invested in the story.

This book has achieved what I have described above. Now I did question why the names of characters are so hard to say. It just wouldn’t make sense to use an everyday name in the fantasy world so I appreciate the names that the author has cleverly created.

As Rikk travels back to the Fierce Land to get his sister his emotions are all over the place. Watching his parents die was a memory he can’t get rid of. In his heart he wants revenge and his mind wanders from his mission. Has he not learned that the One is in control? The One doesn’t want Rikk to act on his anger, but will he be able to fight off the urge to avenge his parents death?

The powerful lessons about forgiveness and trust are represented well in this story where a character must choose to follow what he has been taught or give in to hate. I loved how the story really touched on many Biblical truths throughout the story. Fear is trying to overtake Rikk as he gets closer to his destination. I thought about how comfortable we are in our world where Jesus is in control. When we step away from Him, we start to feel uneasy and fear slips in. The enemy is crafty at telling us lies and we start to fall for his tricks. Can Rikk fight off his insecurities and trust the One?

I enjoyed reading about the travels Rikk and his sister take to get back to his home where peace and safety is. Myla is quite intrigued by this new home of Rikk’s. Her thirst to learn about the One reminds me of someone who gets saved. They hunger to know God and to have a relationship with Him.

Anek is very unsure of where Rikk is taking him and Myla. He reminds me of an unbeliever who questions everything and walks in doubt. His mind is filled with deceit and continues to try to turn Myla against her brother. I think I liked Anek the most because he reminds me that we all doubt there is a God until we are set free from the lies of the enemy. We learn to trust Him and find peace in His presence. The story ends with a cliffhanger and I will be anxiously awaiting the next book.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | May 2, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,489,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible