Making Money (Discworld Novels) by Terry…

Making Money (Discworld Novels) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:ocvictor
Title:Making Money (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

Making Money by Terry Pratchett (2007)

Recently added byoddygem, private library, ecmross, knitica, vivir, gohlemstrusted, Gwywnnydd
    Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: Same protagonist, just as fun.

English (145)  German (2)  All languages (147)
Moist von Lipwig is a young man.

Most of Pratchett's main cast is distinctly older, from Rincewind to Vimes to Granny Weatherwax, with the notable exceptions of Tiffany Aching and maybe Susan Bones. Younger characters (Mort, Polly, Agnes/Perdita, Brutha, Teppic) get the spotlight briefly but are mostly supporting characters. I'm sure there will be objections, but I've found Captain Carrot, Angua, Ponder Stibbons, etc. to be too slight to be able to hold their own. They're vital to the books they occupy, but they either don't have enough character or their character is too hidden.

Moist's age (he's around 27 if he was honest in 'Going Postal') is one of his greatest assets. He's cunning and smart, but he's still learning. His character is very much still in development, but his most interesting purpose is the insight he offers into Vetinari.

Vetinari has always been a cipher. That's the point of his character, the wheel within the wheel, the innermost circle. He's nigh-unflappable and seems to always have all the information at his fingertips. We've rarely been offered a real peak inside his head, in the past whenever he's tried to explain himself its been to characters such as Vimes who can't understand his motivations, even if they reluctantly agree with the results.

Early on in 'Going Postal' Moist is presented as something of an equal in intellect to Vetinari: both play the same game, Vetinari just happens to own the board. 'Making Money' finds Vetinari more human than ever before, plainly speaking his hopes and ambitions to someone who gets it. Even if that person can't quite get over his wariness around the Patrician. But, considering their mutual pasts, I can't blame Moist for being nervous.

The book is funny. The unusual, for Pratchett, chapter divisions and old-fashioned teasers heading them up ("An Arch Comment" is my favorite) are cleverly done, and I think Moist's character lived up well to my expectations. The plot is interesting, though I think the story could have benefited from getting more from the Men of the Sheds and the Cribbins subplot did peter out, but those arguments are trivial when you compare how much this book has offered for the whole series.

Discworld

Next: 'Unseen Academicals'

Previous: 'Wintersmith' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I like this new-ish character Moist, now in charge of reforming the banks. And the Chairman, who is a pug. ( )
  Griffin22 | Dec 28, 2018 |
When more-or-less reformed con-man Moist Lipwig is put in charge of the Ankh-Morpork Royal Bank and decides to introduce the notion of paper money, you know it's going to cause trouble.

As usual, Pratchett takes a motley collection of slightly off-center characters -- this time including a golem with definite ideas about gender roles, an entire wacko family of bank directors, a man locked in mortal combat with his own dentures, and a dog with interesting taste in toys -- and shovels them into the plot bucket, sets it spinning, and then sits back to enjoy the results. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
Moist isn't as good as Going Postal, but this is definitely still a great Pratchett novel. ( )
  jonsweitzerlamme | Nov 28, 2018 |
Now this is the way to study economics! Actually, I'm sure I would have got more out of the story if I had studied economics, but it was great fun anyway. Moist Von Lipwig seems to spice up the Patrician's life, and whatever makes the Patrician happy, makes me happy. I completely enjoyed the bits about the bank chairman, Mr. Fussypot (not sure I have his name right), so visual! ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 18, 2018 |
For all the economic theory in play here, Pratchett makes everything look easy - you get the sense that he's one of the smartest people writing fantasy out there, but he just doesn't feel like showing it off. He is always unbelievably fluid in his prose and the comic aphorisms that seem to flow out of him. Every once in a while he cues his punchlines too noticeably, with an "after all," or an "oh all right then." But it's hard to complain - he also uses the word "hopefully" correctly. Also: "charivari."
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Austin Grossman (Apr 17, 2009)

When Pratchett is at his best, he matches the greatest satirists in piercing the veil of shared illusion. In a time when money's absurdities puzzle even those who purport to possess it, we need him to do better.

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ring, JonathanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They lay in the dark, guarding.
People don't like change. But make the change happen fast enough and you go from one type of normal to another.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061161659, Mass Market Paperback)

Amazingly, former arch-swindler-turned-Postmaster General Moist von Lipwig has somehow managed to get the woefully inefficient Ankh-Morpork Post Office running like . . . well, not like a government office at all. Now the supreme despot Lord Vetinari is asking Moist if he'd like to make some real money. Vetinari wants Moist to resuscitate the venerable Royal Mint—so that perhaps it will no longer cost considerably more than a penny to make a penny.

Moist doesn't want the job. However, a request from Ankh-Morpork's current ruling tyrant isn't a "request" per se, more like a "once-in-a-lifetime-offer-you-can-certainly-refuse-if-you-feel-you've-lived-quite-long-enough." So Moist will just have to learn to deal with elderly Royal Bank chairman Topsy (née Turvy) Lavish and her two loaded crossbows, a face-lapping Mint manager, and a chief clerk who's probably a vampire. But he'll soon be making lethal enemies as well as money, especially if he can't figure out where all the gold has gone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

"Moist von Lipwig, condemned prisoner turned postal worker extraordinaire is now in charge of a different branch of the government: overseeing the printing of Ankh-Morpork's first paper currency. A dream come true for a former arch-swindler-- or is it?"--Cover p. [4].… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,148,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible