Walden by Henry David Thoreau

Walden (1854)

by Henry David Thoreau

8,83793341 (3.89)1 / 333

English (81)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (93)
I got 100 pages in and wanted to stick my head in a vat of boiling water. I HATED this book. I really hated it. How can one man talk so much shite about absolutely nothing? It honestly made me want to set things on fire. Who cares?! Who care about anything this man has to say? He doesn't care what anyone else has to say, so why listen to him? ARGH. ( )
1 vote thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
A hat trick in my 2016 reading challenge: my goal is to read so many books, some nonfiction, and some classics. This is all three.

I enjoyed the lyrical descriptive passages but confess I was often bewildered by Thoreau's plunges into metaphor, and could have done without them. It was fun to be challenged by the nearly 200-year old vocabulary which, as often as not, defeated my Nook's built-in collegiate dictionary as well. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |

Fischer, TatjanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gissen, MaxEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Immonen, AnttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, LauraEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I do not propose to write an ode to dejection, but to brag as lustily as chanticleer in the morning, standing on his roost, if only to wake my neighbors up.
When I wrote the following pages, or rather the bulk of them, I lived alone, in the woods, a mile from any neighbor, in a house which I built myself, on the shore of Walden Pond, in Concord, Massachusetts, and earned my living by the labor of my two hand only.
We are wont to forget that the sun looks on our cultivated fields and on the prairies and forests without distinction. They all reflect and absorb his rays alike, and the former make but a small part of the glorious picture which he beholds in his daily course. In his view the earth is all equally cultivated like a garden. Therefore we should receive the benefit of his light and heat with a corresponding trust and magnanimity.
wherever a man goes, men will pursue and paw him with their dirty institutions, and, if they can, constrain him to belong to their desperate odd-fellow society.
Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes.
Only "Walden" - please don't combine with any edition containing other works as well.

The Scott Library edition consists of a cloth cover, uncut edges and gold gilt top. Original price was 1s 6d per volume. Published 1900ca.

Originally published in 1854, Walden, or Life in the Woods, is a vivid account of the time that Henry D. Thoreau lived alone in a secluded cabin at Walden Pond. It is one of the most influential and compelling books in American literature.

One of the great books of American letters and a masterpiece of reflective philosophizing. Accounts of Thoreau's daily life on the shores of Walden Pond outside Concord, Massachusetts, are interwoven with musings on the virtues of self-reliance and individual freedom, on society, government, and other topics. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:35 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300104669, 0300110081

Coffeetown Press

An edition of this book was published by Coffeetown Press.

Library of America Paperback Classics

An edition of this book was published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,365,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible