Walden by Henry David Thoreau

Walden (original 1854; edition 1993)

by Henry David Thoreau

10,256134414 (3.85)2 / 381
Member:SMae
Title:Walden
Authors:Henry David Thoreau
Info:Everyman's Library (1993), Hardcover
Rating:*****
Tags:In Storage

Walden by Henry David Thoreau (Author) (1854)

English (120)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (136)
Sometimes inspiring and poetic, sometimes tedious and rambling. Thoreau’s attempts to offer wisdom are generally less satisfying than his intricate, loving descriptions of his environment.

"What is a course of history or philosophy, or poetry, no matter how well selected, or the best society, or the most admirable routine of life, compared with the discipline of looking always at what is to be seen? Will you be a reader, a student merely, or a seer?" ( )
  brokensandals | Feb 7, 2019 |
Book two on my list of "Books I own and should have read (and a few others)." In high school, I wanted to like the transcendentalists, for reasons I cannot remember. But reading Emerson was torture. It disappointed me to learn then that Emerson was such an influence on Nietzsche, who is such a great writer. I wondered, would Thoreau be more like the former or the latter. Without a doubt, it is the latter. There are stirring passages and parts I'd like to return to, but on the whole I am happy we have left the nineteenth century's way of writing behind.

A question. Why does Thoreau refer to Harvard as Cambridge College? ( )
  tertullian | Jan 22, 2019 |
This book is Thoreau's reflections on the time he spent in a home he built on Walden Pond. He lived in a cabin in the woods for 2 years, 2 months and 2 days. He wanted to spend the time reflecting and learning to understand society. He also wanted to see if he could mainly be self-sustaining on the land. He was in the middle of Concord, Massachusetts, so not necessarily in the wilderness, but off the beaten path to the point where he was 2 miles from civilization.

This book was....interesting. First of all, Thoreau is a rambler. I would guess, though, that any of us keeping a journal of our day to day routine would be too. I learned about every bird in the woods. What temperature the pond was compared to other ponds near by. When the pond froze for the winter, how he built his house, how he kept warm, and who he talked with while he lived in the woods. The book could have been about half the size, but he liked to talk for paragraphs about each and every animal or situation to the point of my losing interest and wanting to skim. I did finish it, but it was trying. I do have to say, though, on the bits that I did enjoy, he was telling. And interesting. And sometimes even funny. It had its moments.

I have never been very good with the classics. I am starting to think it is a personal problem I have - I am just not in the mindset for this type of writing. It isn't my cup of tea. BUT - I will continue to struggle through them because I am interested in seeing what makes them classics. Maybe one day, I will come by one that I truly love. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Devastatingly wonderful. I had read parts of this at uni, of course, but never the whole work. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone, or perhaps many, but it is the heart of a movement which I hold very dear. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I then spent a ridiculously long time reading Walden. I couldn't get through more than a few pages a day because his writing and thoughts were so dense. It certainly wasn't as tedious as I remembered from high school though. It was just grounded in a strong knowledge of the classics and world religions and those were things that I hadn't been exposed to at the time. But many of his thoughts were simply truisms, like this bit from the chapter called Reading --
It is not all books that are as dull as their readers. There are probably words addressed to our condition exactly, which, if we could really hear and understand, would be more salutary than the morning or the spring to our lives, and possibly put a new aspect on the face of things for us. How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book.

https://webereading.com/2018/08/me-and-hdt.html ( )

Meyer, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nason, ThomasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, LauraEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teale, Edwin Waysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I do not propose to write an ode to dejection, but to brag as lustily as chanticleer in the morning, standing on his roost, if only to wake my neighbors up.
When I wrote the following pages, or rather the bulk of them, I lived alone, in the woods, a mile from any neighbor, in a house which I built myself, on the shore of Walden Pond, in Concord, Massachusetts, and earned my living by the labor of my two hand only.
We are wont to forget that the sun looks on our cultivated fields and on the prairies and forests without distinction. They all reflect and absorb his rays alike, and the former make but a small part of the glorious picture which he beholds in his daily course. In his view the earth is all equally cultivated like a garden. Therefore we should receive the benefit of his light and heat with a corresponding trust and magnanimity.
wherever a man goes, men will pursue and paw him with their dirty institutions, and, if they can, constrain him to belong to their desperate odd-fellow society.
Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes.
Only "Walden" - please don't combine with any edition containing other works as well.

The Scott Library edition consists of a cloth cover, uncut edges and gold gilt top. Original price was 1s 6d per volume. Published 1900ca.

Originally published in 1854, Walden, or Life in the Woods, is a vivid account of the time that Henry D. Thoreau lived alone in a secluded cabin at Walden Pond. It is one of the most influential and compelling books in American literature.

One of the great books of American letters and a masterpiece of reflective philosophizing. Accounts of Thoreau's daily life on the shores of Walden Pond outside Concord, Massachusetts, are interwoven with musings on the virtues of self-reliance and individual freedom, on society, government, and other topics. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:35 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Henry David Thoreau's book Walden: With an Introduction and Annotations by Bill McKibben was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,353,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible