Junie B., First Grader: Boss of Lunch by…

Junie B., First Grader: Boss of Lunch (2002)

by Barbara Park

In my opinion, “Junie B., First Grader: Boss of Lunch” is a great children’s chapter book. Junie B. is now in first grade and believes that brought lunches are better than bought lunches! But when she doesn’t receive a sugar cookie at lunch, she reaches out to Mrs. Gutzman for help. Mrs. Gutzman, the lunch lady, suggests that Junie B. become a lunch helper! First, the plot of the story has a perfect conflict-resolution. The story is engaging for young students because it is relatable. Second, the characters are well-developed and believable. Because the point of view is in first person, the story is extremely funny! Since Junie B. is telling the story it is more entertaining and interesting than the story would be in third person. For example, “I rolled me eyes way up to the sky. ‘Cause Daddy always has to be in on everything.” This shows her spunky personality, that you get to see because the story is in first person. The big idea of this story is teaching children responsibility, and understanding reward from hard work! ( )
  esiera1 | May 9, 2014 |
I loved reading this book. I liked this book because of language and the character. The author writes in a very kid friendly way. Readers are able to easily understand the meaning of the chapter because of the clear detail that is given. Many times you can imagine the scene. For example, " First, I touched some fruit, and an avocado, and a squishy tomato. Then I put my hand in the butter. And also some creamy cottage cheese." Although there is not picture, I can mentally see these items and Junie B. touching them. The second thing that I enjoyed about this book is the character Junie B. Junie B messes up a lot in the story and it is often times relateable to mistakes that real like children can make. Junie B brings humor to the book which I think really pulls in readers. Everything that Junie B also says is appropriate for someone her age. For example, "Look at how big everything is, Mrs. Gutzman," I said. "Look at that big dishwater over there. And look at those big refrigerators! And woah!" Children are often memorized by the smallest things and I think that Junie B captures that very well in her character.
Overall, this books goes through the dilemma that Junie B has with being a an assistant at lunch and her relationship with her classmates and Mrs. Gutzman. ( )
  Scrane4 | Apr 3, 2014 |
I liked this book because of the point of view. The story is written in first person and I think this draws the readers into the story due to the narrative format. For example, when Junie B. is given plastic mitts because she has the chance to be the “lunch lady” she says, “I gasped at those wonderful things.” The dialogue and first person makes the text more relatable for a young reader. Junie B. is a fun loving and humorous first grader. The book is fun and comical and would be an entertaining read for a student at the second grade or possibly first grade level. I think the central message of the book is responsibility. Junie B. is asked to be a helper in the cafeteria. Junie B. was thrilled to have this opportunity, but realized that it was a lot of work. I think it shows students that responsibilities may be hard at times, but it is all worth it in the end. ( )
  awalls4 | Mar 30, 2014 |
In the 19th Junie B. Jones book, something very wonderful is happening to Junie B.. And it's called—hurray, hurray!—she's getting to be a professional lunch lady! And that means hanging out with Mrs. Gutzman in the cafeteria. And standing behind the counter. And even wearing a real actual hair net! Who knows? Pretty soon she could be the boss of the whole entire lunch operation!
-Review from Juniebjones.com
For ages 5-9
  kplowman2 | Dec 9, 2013 |
not a fan ( )
  hrwright | Jun 18, 2013 |
For cafeteria workers far and wide. We love you guys!
Dear first-grade journal, Hurray! Hurray! It came! It finally came!

Junie B. Jones is a great series for elementary age children. My son loves hearing these stories. These are great books to read to children because they funny and easy content to grasp. I also find this book good for first grade son to read to me to practice his reading. Junie is always getting into funny situations, and children can truly relate to her way of thinking. This is a good read aloud story, and can spark much conversation among students.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375802940, Paperback)

The irrepressible Junie B.--room 9's most boisterous first grader nonpareil--has returned for another adventure, this time around as a hair-netted, plastic-mitted "helper" in the school cafeteria. (Her dad wisely guesses where this one's going: "A helper doesn't make things more difficult, Junie B. A helper makes things easier. Okay?") The 19th installment in this spunky series begins with much ado over the cultural implications of bought and brought lunches and the exciting arrival of a shiny new lunch box. ("Come, Herb! Come, Lennie and José! It's time for you to watch me eat out of my new lunch box!") But events quickly eclipse such trifles, as Junie B. runs into good ol' Mrs. Gutzman again, her "snack lady" from way back in kindergarten. ("That woman was a gem, I tell you.")

You might start feeling like Junie B.'s getting a little too irrepressible in her old age. But then again, maybe you've just had a long day (like Junie B.'s dad, presumably). Whatever the case, Barbara Park still rules the school with her likeable beginning chapter-book series, and you can bet Junie B. will be back for more, even after her lunch box loses its luster. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:06 -0400)

Junie, an outspoken, sometimes exasperating, first grader is thrilled when she is told she can help out in the school cafeteria.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible